powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help choosing a backsplash for our kitchen.
gdcsmith
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into a 4 year old home and it has no backsplash in the kitchen. I went to a tile store, talked to a designer, but still I'm confused on what tile to choose. I brought home samples and it seems like bigger tiles look better. I don't want to "date" the house with glass tiles like everyone is using. Our house has 14' ceilings, but has a traditional flair to it. Please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Glass is not going anywhere. Trust me I don't do trendy. That said if you pick a trendy colored glass then you could have a problem. Get one that mixes glass and stone in a neutral color. It will look great for years.
January 20, 2013 at 10:00AM     
Aja Mazin
You will never regret avoiding glass tiles.
January 20, 2013 at 10:08AM     
PRO
STUDIO MB
I think you are uncomfortable because it does tend to look busy. You also have a 6" splash, not sure it you are going to remove that first, as it will not look as clean as you want it to. So I suggest a slate with multi colors that have shades of your granite. Nice texture and timeless.
January 20, 2013 at 10:23AM     
gdcsmith
I like this a lot. Do you think it would be too casual considering we lived overseas for many years and have Asian decor? Should I dress it up more? Thank you!
January 20, 2013 at 11:12AM   
PRO
STUDIO MB
If you are referring to the slate..here is a slate wall paper in a formal dining area...looks great anywhere..
January 20, 2013 at 12:01PM     
gdcsmith
That's really nice! Thanks! But I was referring to the backsplash...sorry!
January 20, 2013 at 2:10PM   
gdcsmith
But, by the way, what can I do differently in the dining room? It looks drab....I'm trying to do it in red/black Asian with some blue from the parlor/living area. There are no windows in the dining room.
January 20, 2013 at 3:50PM   
Aja Mazin
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors,

What is the pattern and where can one purchase such wall paper, please?
January 20, 2013 at 3:51PM   
gdcsmith
Would that wallpaper go with red and blue?
January 20, 2013 at 3:56PM   
Aja Mazin
Asia covers many nations and cultures,

To which do you refer?
January 20, 2013 at 3:59PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
FYI you do have back splashes it seems from the images. They seem to be 4". You may want to remove them or work around them
As you are thinking the larger tile is looking better, consider 12' x 12' turned where the point to point of the square is from the counter to the upper cabinets. You may have 18 between the uppers and lowers, and if this is the case the 12" x 12" will work nicely and then have every other ( A B A B A) cut in half to fill the voids.....
January 20, 2013 at 4:08PM     
gdcsmith
Aja: We were in Japan for 14 years so practically everything I own is from Japan or trips to Korea and Hong Kong.
January 20, 2013 at 4:12PM   
lornaranson
Your floor tile is beautiful, if you could find it, you would be surprised at the look you would have if you diamond angled the tile as back splash. We did that in our new home 10 years ago, we sold the home last summer for twice as much as what it was built for, one of the comments made the most often, was that the tile as backsplash pulled the entire kitchen together. Best of luck with whatever you choose, you have a beautiful kitchen, happy cooking!!!!
January 20, 2013 at 4:12PM   
gdcsmith
Gary: I think it may be too much trouble to remove them. Would probably leave them and I like your idea.
January 20, 2013 at 4:13PM   
gdcsmith
Iornaranson: Thank you! Our floor tiles are 18" so they are probably too large, but we could get them in a 12 x 12 like Gary is suggesting. Did you use 18"? Did you put anything else up or just the tiles? I 'm referring to maybe a trim or medallion? Thanks!!
January 20, 2013 at 4:16PM   
lornaranson
18" for the floor and 12"x12" as backsplash. Sorry that I didn't read other folks comments beyond the glass tile comments. Always keep in mind, it is your home and whatever you decide, you are the one that has to love it because you have to live with it.
January 20, 2013 at 4:19PM   
gdcsmith
Iornaranson: That's okay, I figure it was a 12 x 12, just wanted to make sure. Did you put anything else up with it?'
January 20, 2013 at 4:25PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
yo seem to have uba tuba, you could find that same stone in 12 x 12
January 20, 2013 at 4:28PM   
csj953
I put in a neutral glass and like the look but be warned that it will look different on a painted coloured wall than any sample. I put mine on a taupe wall and my beige/cream tile now looks greyish. Not the effect I was looking for with my quartz counters.
January 20, 2013 at 4:33PM     
itzamelori
I like it alot!
January 20, 2013 at 4:39PM   
Sunday
csj953, it does like grayish, could you post a pick of your granite and what is the tone in your cabinets. I do think the style of the glass tile is beautiful, maybe wrong undertone. I struggle with this too. I can't figure out the undertones of the couch I bought
January 20, 2013 at 4:39PM   
csj953
The counters are Cambria quartz and the colour is Brownhill.My cabinets are Cherry stain on cherry.The tile looked great in the sample but not once it was up.
January 20, 2013 at 5:03PM   
Sunday
csj953, thank you. I can't afford to make changes to my mistakes, so I am too scared to ask for advice, it only makes me have so many sleepless nights. I think your kitchen is beautiful. And I appreciate your willingness to help the rest of us!
January 20, 2013 at 9:09PM   
Norma Sassone
Marble tiles in varying shades of grey and taupe, I think would look timeless.
January 20, 2013 at 9:19PM     
gdcsmith
I really like that look. Do you think it is a casual or dressy look?
January 23, 2013 at 6:58AM   
itzamelori
casual
January 23, 2013 at 8:19AM   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
black subway with occasional copper inlay would be dramatic, yet harmonize with your granite & cabinet tone. The attached photos are just snap shots but will give you the idea
January 23, 2013 at 8:34AM   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi gdcsmith!
If you're worried about glass tile becoming dated looking over the years, you could try a different finish of glass tile. I can see how you would think that about glossy glass tile, but glass tiles can also be frosted, or matte. It has a completely different feel, and I think a mosaic backsplash would add some needed visual interest to your kitchen. The mosaic below was created using our custom mosaic designer. The tiles are 2x2 frosted glass, so they're not too small, and I think the light blues, grays and green would look beautiful with your cabinets and counters. Just another idea for you!
January 23, 2013 at 8:57AM   
PRO
STUDIO MB
Slate wallpaper is from http://www.phillipjeffries.com/
January 23, 2013 at 9:52AM     
PRO
Foreverpools
A combination of glass tile colors will look great. Look at this picture: brown (matching cabinets), silver (matching appliances) and black. Simply and elegant
January 23, 2013 at 2:24PM   
Aja Mazin
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors,

Thank you.
January 23, 2013 at 2:50PM   
Tammy DeBoer_Lochner
I love my Black glass subway tiles we recently installed. We have similar light maple cabinets with stainless appliances. New under cabinet lighting really reflects the light off of the tiles. Very classy.
February 13, 2013 at 9:23AM   
shmeglyn
Find a local decorative painter. I found one who can make it look like anything from stone to brick etc. and it's less permanent if you are like me and change your mind often.
February 13, 2013 at 10:04AM   
patsreed
My back splash dilemma has the same color scheme as jdcsmith except the granite counter top is black with emerald. Would like the back splash to be light, not busy, and am not interested in bringing out the emerald color in the granite.
April 23, 2014 at 8:12PM