Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice for our kitchen!
Rob Novak
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We really love the layout of our kitchen. The cabinets are original to our 1960s home... they're well-built and solid, but they need some updating. I thought about painting them white, but with the white tile floor, that might be too much.

If I left them the way they are, but replaced the hardware, I think that might be OK. If I go with that option, I'm looking for suggestions for the countertops and backsplash.

Or, if you think painting them is the way to go, what color would be best? We really don't want to replace the flooring, but cabinets, counters and backsplash are all up for grabs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Before you move forward, check out rustoleumtransformations.com. Might work for you.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 11:44AM
Kathleen Flanagan
Paint ,veneer face of doors, moulding surround, and add crown moulding. I redo kitchens in my business all the time. Check out my website www.kmfdesigns.com. Look at Venice residence and Pacific Palisades.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 11:53AM
csj953
be careful if they are pressboard,they could warp.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:45PM
Shelley Gartside
What about painting the bottom in a color and the top in white? Choose a counter and back splash then pull a color from them. Not too bright tho...more muted. Then depending on what look you want to achieve replace the hardware. If you want country you could go with black wrought iron looking hardware, or more 60's something plain.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 9:15PM
PRO
Subway Tile Outlet
I think the main thing that makes the cabinets look dated is the hardware. You might be able to get new hardware cheaply or as previously suggested some veneers to quickly and afford-ably update your cabinets. You can see lots of modern kitchen backsplash pictures with similar layouts and dark cabinets in our Backsplash Photo Gallery here: http://www.subwaytileoutlet.com/gallery/Kitchen-Backsplash-Tile-Pictures.html
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:23PM
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
I know you said everything was up for grabs except the floor, but I think that changing out the floor will make a huge impact. Marmoleum would be a good choice and could add some color: http://www.forbo-flooring.us/Residential-Flooring/Products/Marmoleum-Click/ Then paint your cabinets, change the hardware and countertop. I think it will look fantastic.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 11:36PM