powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need suggestions for Master Bathroom redo.
Kathy
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have hated our bathroom selections since building the house 14 years ago. The bathroom is big enough; however, the walls block the natural light from reaching the vanity area.

The first thing we have done is to replace the white marble counter with granite and new faucets. The current plan is to replace the tile with new tile that looks like dark hardwood.

I am thinking about removing any of the shower walls that do not have plumbing in them and replacing with glass. I would love to have the shower without a curb, but redoing the shower floor is likely beyond my expertise.

We are not sure what to do about the mirror over the vanity. Considering removing and adding two smaller mirrors over the sinks, but each sink is so close to the walls, I think it might look funny with a big space in the middle.

Leaning towards a gray / green paint color? Really would appreciate suggestions. I have attached a few pictures.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
It would be nice if you at least abbreviated the wall common to the shower and vanity and possibly cut the wall down to 42" and put glass above to let more light in. As for the wall between the shower and the water closet, that will be a lot of glass so consider your budget. Again, you might want to do a half wall with glass on the top to keep the costs down.
It would be nice to delete the med cab to the left of the vanity along with the framed mirror as it is. Is it possible to recess a med cab at any point along the wall behind the vanity? You might consider doing individual mirrors over the sinks with lights above each and placing a shallow depth cabinet down to the counter between the sinks for storage. Wire an outlet inside for recharging toothbrushes and shavers. Raise the mirrors/med cabs at least 1" above the back splash for balance.
Grey blue or grey green would be a nice color for the walls.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 2:02PM
Kathy
Excellent ideas. I have been looking at replacing the medicine cabinet with two mirrored recessed medicine cabinets over each sink and new lights over each cabinet.
As far as the wall common to the shower and vanity, I can only go as far in as the front end of the counter because one of the two shower head plumbing is in that common wall.
What about flooring? Opinions on dark wood-looking tile for the flooring?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 3:34AM
wmpj
You could install a shallow wall cabinet in between the the sinks that would sit on top of your countertop if you can find one that matches your vanity. This option would allow you to remove the existing medicine cabinet and install two mirrors without having a large gap in the middle.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:50AM
Kathy
Would you have an example of such? I will also check out Kemper cabinets, as that is the brand installed.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 10:26AM
wmpj
I'll try attaching a picture. I"ll also include a link for you in case my picture doesn't show.

2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:26PM