Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Antique Headboard
millerdlea
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would like to use an old headboard I acquired from my mother who recently passed away.. I would like to use it for a wall decor but didn't know what to do with it..just attaching it to the wall seems strange.. I am currently in the process of redecorating the kitchen..new paint, newly refinished cupboards which I made to look vintage, new black counters, btw everything is white..with the new black appliances and I am going to decorate with my mothers collection of cobalt blue glass..I just really like the idea of doing something with this headboard and I am not opposed to painting it.. Any creative ideas? I took the photo against the cupboards and it also shows the accent color blue I am using..I attached the blue accessory to the cupboard as you can also see in the pic.. And as you can see the headboard matches that style.. I will be attaching before and after pictures of the entire kitchen when completed..hopefully sooner than later..this is such a project as my kitchen is fairly large, it i am so excited for the final outcome.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2dogssashatess
Hello. it is lovely to have something nice from your mum and have it on display. I am not quite sure how large it is but perhaps it could go over a doorway.. Or perhpas you could have a mirror framed in wood and use this as the top of the frame.
3 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 2:33PM
carbary
Put a wire on the back and go for it!!!
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 6:27PM
abbshel
I love the idea from 2dogs post to have it made into a mirror! Other thought would be to hang it above your own bed just as it is. Of course I'm basing that on not knowing your style, etc.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 6:33PM
calikym
Over a door leading out of this room. btw, such a beautiful idea to incorporate something of your mother's into your design. Love that.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
christycollects
Paint it the same color as your kitchen cabinets, then use it to frame out a box for your range hood...
http://www.manorhousekitchens.com/projects/v/Projects/MARINO+RANGE+HOOD.bmp.html
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 8:13PM
PRO
Vera Beaman Design Consultant Ward Brown Builders
utensil holder, cornice for a window, spice shelf above range ...how much room do you have and do you have a kitchen window? how big is it is it a twin?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:32PM
Sigrid
This is a beautiful piece of wood and given its style, probably walnut or mahogany. It would be a crime to paint it, not only would you destroy most of the value (I'd bet it's pretty valuable), but it would be difficult to do a good job on all that carved detail. It looks fine with the cabinets, you don't have to be matchy-matchy.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:33PM
lefty47
HI - I have almost the exact same thing . Are you so sure it was a headboard --? Mine was an overmantel from a old victorian style house . So ,I think it should be left just as it is (not painted) and hang it above the sofa or have it as an overdoor .
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:34PM
millerdlea
Thank you..to all of you for your wonderful ideas..I have not done anything with this piece yet as the kitchen renovations take awhile with everyday life. To lefty47, I'm actually not positive that it was a headboard I was just assuming. To Sigrid, I agree I have been struggling with the idea of painting this piece as I agree it may be worth something, and it does match the color of my hardwood floors.. Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful ideas, I can't wait to get this project done and finally have the kitchen I have always dreamed of and planned with my mom, I just wish she was here to help and see the finished project. A few days ago i came across a notebook from a little over a year ago and in the middle of it were about 10 pages of notes and ideas me and mom were brainstorming to re-do my kitchen the way I always wanted, and now using all of her items she's collected over the years along with my ideas and items, it is going to become more than we even imagined.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:53PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Millerdlea, how wonderful that you have all the great memories with your mom but also some physical reminders as well. I would hang that lovely piece where you can see it every day while cooking in your dream kitchen. Thanks for sharing!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:07PM
Tarey Cullen
for some inspiration on adapting antiques check out
http://cantonantiques.com/antique/furniture/browse?category_id=1&state=sold

also search Houzz for antiques as vanities. some great ideas.

sorry had to edit that link address.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:55PM
sjkingston
It also looks like the top of a buffet. It's oak and looks like it dates to the early 20's. I had a tall headboard with similar but simpler carved wood trim. (It's pieced on top, rather than carved out of the wood like was typically done with mahogany or walnut pieces.) You might look for a side buffet or table in a similar wood and mount or hang it behind it.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 12:42AM
DIAspoton
very pretty. i wouldn't paint it. you could repurpose it ias a header for a chalkboard or a hanging or standing shelf for cookbooks.
it could be a header for a wonderful halltree,attach it to painted panks,possibly reclaimed barnwood. attach a shelf as a seat with shoe storage underneath use vintage hooks for coats,hats and dog leashes.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 1:55AM
PRO
Eagledzines
If you decided to paint it like the rest of your cabinets, and if it fit, you could install it upside down over your sink as a valance.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:17AM