Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help for my bedroom!!
Erin Risse
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought a new house and our bedroom is very tiny! I love my Headboard and footboard, lamps, mirrors, and dresser thats all that has to stay. I like a romantic, eclectic style. I need help deciding what to do with the window behind the bed. My bed is pewter with gold accents and my wall is like a butter cream color or something. Hope thats enough info, Please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
Is there any other wall the bed can sit up against? I see the other wall in the other pic has a window too. What about the other two walls? Of course, one will have the door, but I want to make sure there isn't an alternative to the wall with the skinny window.

Another Q: Is the bigger window centered on the wall?
January 20, 2013 at 4:24pm   
cjktsd
Put a curtain that extends past the window and a little past the headboard. It will give the illusion that the window is much bigger.
January 20, 2013 at 4:26pm   
Erin Risse
No, niether window is centered, and the opposit wall has the closet and the wall to the left is the wall with the door to the hallway. The reason we have it on this wall is because its the only place where we both have an outlet on each side of the bed and on the hgtv shows it says if you put the bed on the farthest wall it makes the room look bigger.
January 20, 2013 at 4:28pm   
dld231
Hi - I would add draperies to the wall behind your headboard. The drapery rod and draperies should go about 2" on each side wider than you bed frame. This would help to hide the window that is not cantered.
January 20, 2013 at 4:30pm     
Erin Risse
I Thought about that ! I think it would also give the romanticness to the room and texture that I like ... I just dont know what colors to go with to make everything come together. And Id like to keep the mirrors above the lamps too .... Do you think it would be too much on one wall for a small space?
January 20, 2013 at 4:33pm   
njmomma
I would go the same color as your comforter and yes I think it would be too much on one wall. Just the curtains behind the headboard and the lamps on the end tables would be just enough. Can you use the wall mirrors on another wall?
January 20, 2013 at 4:36pm   
cypress
Hello Erin, I would dress the window with soft draperies or curtains that would extend beyond the window itself, so it would be behind the entire bed and floor to ceiling in height. I think this would hide the awkward placement of the window and highlight your bed, A romantic screen placed behind the bed would also work.
January 20, 2013 at 4:40pm     
Erin Risse
Thank You, And i suppose they could I would just have to figure out placement. and What do you all think about colors? I feel like the colors of everything arent dramatic enough or dont go or something I just cant place it. Maybe because i have nothing on the walls or windows i just feel like its so BORING.
January 20, 2013 at 4:51pm   
houssaon
I think that having drapery on the wall behind your bed, as other suggested, is going to solve your problems. Just move the bed out so that hte panels hand free. If you are going to keep the wall the gold tone I would ge a pattern that is clost that. On the other window You can add panels, too. I would keep the blinds. One reason if will lessen the light from the one window behind the bed so it isn't obvious that there is just one window. Blinds are easier to control light and privacy then panels.

Another idea would be to hang a large piece of decorative textile. Something like this, minus the mirror: huntley & co. | Inspired Individuality I have an old quilt behind my bed. It is like a piece of art. Some examples are Whole House Green, Enchanted Oaks, Hampden Cove, Guest room, and Mt. Shadows

One other thing. I don't think the round plaques on the wall behind your tall lamps are right. I would remove them.
January 20, 2013 at 4:52pm     
houssaon
If you go with a pattern, it will be so much more interesting.
January 20, 2013 at 4:54pm   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I have a really crazy idea; can you eliminate the window behind the bed? It would solve a lot of problems. Where is the window on the outside? In the front, or back, or side? We just did a display in our showroom, which I know is not like your home, but we needed a wall with a window in it for display. So we removed the trim, and drywalled over it. We added wallpaper, but you could just paint. The window is still there, and the other side has a treatment on it so no one even knows we did this.

Apart from that radical idea, you could add a very simple crown and use the same fabric on your other window to pull it together. Houzz actually has some great ideas under "romantic window treatments".

Depending on your budget, you could also "add" another window, by adding a matching treatment to make it look like that wall has 2 windows.

And one more, you could make 1 window treatment a little wider than your bed, say a lined roman shade that wouldn't let any sun in from your real window, and then repeat that treatment in your other window.

Chrysteen
January 20, 2013 at 5:01pm   
Erin Risse
I agree! Thank you I hadnt thought about the idea of a pattern. I wouldnt really need to keep the color of the wall its pretty plain in my eyes. I love greys but I feel like it would make the room seem smaller and I dont want my headboard to blend in.
January 20, 2013 at 5:01pm   
Erin Risse
Thank you Chrysteen, I dont think our budget woudl allow us to do that and I like the option of the window for those spring days to create some breeze through the house. I do like the idea of making it seem as though there are two windows to even it out a bit.
January 20, 2013 at 5:05pm   
lc29
I agree with the curtains on the wall behind the bed. I know you love your bed and it is very beautiful, but the tall footboard seems to really cut off the space, is it removable? It might be best to store it away somewhere until you have a bigger space someday or if you chose bedding that was closer in color to the bed frame it might blend better. Grey/pewter and yellow can be very pretty together. The wall mirrors would look great hung over one another on a narrow wall somewhere, where they are now creates a little too much symmetry. Love your dresser too!
January 20, 2013 at 5:05pm   
houssaon
I would look at some light weight quilts to hang behind your bed. This one from LLBean would work in a twin size. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76931?feat=501937-GN3&page=blooming-circles-quilt&attrValue_0=Multi Color&productId=1274455
January 20, 2013 at 5:16pm   
January 20, 2013 at 5:17pm     
Erin Risse
So after looking up pictures of bedrooms the best way I can describe my taste is like a 1940s glam .... mixed with a kind of bohemian style .... thats this is why I am so confused to to what to do and hate the colors of my room. SO now that we have got a good idea for behind my bed .... can someone help me with some ideas for colors of the room that wont make it an eye sore but livin it up a bit? some kinda texture? I just feel like there is NOTHING appealing or eye catching.
January 20, 2013 at 5:35pm   
More Discussions
Bar height dinning table?
Would like to put a bar height dinning room table in...
pool table help
I can not figure out how to attach the net to the ping...
Describe British style in one word!
I've got a challenge for you! In just one word (or...
What should i do with this 140 yo house main entry hall?
I want to remove the pre finished walls and re do the...
Where can I find this coffee table?
Square glass top, ornate carved wood frame and legs...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.