powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I have no idea how to fix this fireplace wall? I hate the mantle! Suggestions please!
jeaninearango
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have no idea how to fix this fireplace wall?? I hate the mantle! Suggestions please! I'm planning on having custom curtains made but I'm having trouble choosing colors and fabric
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
patricekinch
Nothing wrong with fireplace...it has a rustic look but your mantle accessories don't. Sconces should be more rustic and only one large simple print. Existing framing and planters are too fussy. Your leather looks like it will go great with fireplace
January 20, 2013 at 6:40pm     
jjandhk
i think i would build the fireplace to the ceiling....heres a couple ideas...
January 20, 2013 at 7:34pm     
decoenthusiaste
Seeing the curving legs of your Queen Anne furniture, and the decor you have on the mantel and floor, I see why you don't like the FP so much. Have you started an ideabook here on Houzz where you can load up the pics you find that you love? Just start looking at fireplaces and post the ones that speak to you. We'll be able to tell you how to convert what you have to what you love.
January 20, 2013 at 7:57pm   
calikym
Just so you know, it is not ugly at all. I wouldn't add more stone to the ceiling. It would be way too heavy looking.
January 20, 2013 at 8:01pm   
Janet Ciulla
I would remove the two topiaries and get a larger painting with a less fussy frame... Something that was horizontal not vertical to cover the spanse.
January 20, 2013 at 8:10pm     
lefty47
HI -- It's a beautiful room . I think you should put up some drapes first . Something like a linen close to the color of your walls or a natual color . Drape panels on the two side windows and then a matching (same fabric) roman shade for the upper window. Then if the mantel is still bothering you maybe painting it a blackish brown would work .
diyjames
I think the whole fireplace looks fine. Nice room. I would look at today's ideabook on decorating a mantle.
Paula Wiedemeier
I really like your fireplace. I would paint that wall the fireplace is on in a calm soothing color that compliments your decor and the stone...maybe a soft tan. Or maybe paint the whole room the tan color to contrast all the white woodwork. Adding the paint will make the white woodwork of the mantel and the window trim stand out and look elegant. I see your painting looks a bit Tuscan style. Maybe carry this theme though to your windows by using wrought iron curtain rods above and go with a neutral colored curtain on the outer sides of each window. The only concern I would have about doing that, not being a decorator myself, is that I am not sure how curtains will look with having one window higher than the other. And then I would add an area rug with some color or pattern in it to warm up the room. If you go with a traditional area rug with patterns and color in it, have the curtains be one of the colors in the area rug.
January 20, 2013 at 8:17pm     
charb6
That mantel disappears a little bit into the room, as it is white. Since it's already painted, experiment with color on it.
January 20, 2013 at 8:27pm   
jansgirl
I agree w/ Patrice. What is on the mantle is the problem. It's the faux Tuscan look that is competing with the great rustic feel of the entire room. Ditch the topiaries and the art. Replace the sconces with darker, larger ones and new art.

I like your windows very much and would suggest something that sits inside the casings rather than covering a charming element. Plus, it would be difficult to hang any type of panel with how close the windows are to the fireplace.
January 20, 2013 at 9:00pm   
jeaninearango
Thanks everyone. Those are all suggestions I've thought about. My husband seemd to like a more formal look and he's throwing me off! The painting was just put up, because I had it. The furniture isn't Queen Ann, it actually like a rustic country French collection from Thomasville. I'm looking for a rustic country French look. ( oops with painting, wrong country!)
Here's what I was thinking. One sided Tie back treatments. Treating the double window as one. I can't find any pictures,( I'll keep looking). As far as the mantel, would a horizontal mirror work instead of a picture?
January 21, 2013 at 3:32am   
Janet Carmichael
Go to this decorator's website and she talks how she had this fireplace painted to brighten it up. I think it might be a good idea for you. The height of the mantel makes the fireplace dark and somewhat squatty. I wonder if you raised the mantel to be even with the top of the windows and then filled in with tile it would help raise the room.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/285742/I-love-this-fireplace--What-is-it-made-of-
January 21, 2013 at 3:52am   
michigammemom
Take a look at this lovely stone fireplace that is both rustic and refined. I love the lightly distressed wood mantle to echo your gorgeous pegged floors. I agree with several posts that the vertical framed art is too ornate.
January 21, 2013 at 4:28am     
meg2e
I would pick a color from the stone and paint that whole wall that color. It would unify the wall. Trim is too much of a contrast, too. Also agree with experimenting with color or wood for mantle top - maybe you could do a false wood grain on the mantle so you don't have to strip it. If you do strip it I would consider pickling it. Definitely agree on losing the formal stuff on mantle.
January 21, 2013 at 4:45am   
hparks74
Your fireplace is beautiful but simply has the wrong mantel. You may want to find a hewned log from an old barn. The hearth has a good amount of bulk to it and the top of the FP mantel gets lost do to the refinement and architecture of the molding. You have knotty pine flooring which can be rustic or more traditional. Your furniture legs are fine because the coffe table is good size and not the classic delicate QAnn . The picture is fine above the matel, it's the frame that is to ornate and formal. True Art is hung on walls because you like it and it may/can compliment your decore not because it matches the paint. Scones above fireplace could be replaced with new more rustic and the topirary (sp?) could be placed on the hearth. Good luck and enjoy your beautiful home.
January 21, 2013 at 5:17am     
jeaninearango
Any suggestions for fabric choices for window treatment?
January 21, 2013 at 6:49am   
lefty47
HI -- jean - I think a fine linen or something that looks like a bigger texture but hangs softly . I think a mirror would be great over the mantel . Also you could have the mantel clad in a more rustic (weathered) wood . Also noticed your floor grates ,- I think some in a bronze or wood ones that are stained to match the floor would look better. Look at Restoration Hardware for drapes ,- I think that is the style direction you are wanting or even the Ralph Lauren rustic style . Sounds like it anyway .
January 21, 2013 at 9:59am     
More Discussions
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Rug size for living room
Hello, I'm not sure how big a rug to get for my living...
Mirror Help
I need help accenting a unique chest. I bought a mirror...
Need ideas on fugly house
Need desperately to redo the exterior of this house..it...
New exterior paint and trim colors
Hello! I just bought this house and would like to update...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.