Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Backsplash
Amy Thompson
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Kitchen Remodel- Dark red Mahagony Cabinets, light tile floor, rocky mountain granite (bad pic- it has like maroon/tiger eye flakes in it) Help us find a backsplash- we are agonizing over it. Shown are our top 2 favs.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calikym
Squares. Easy choice for me.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:19PM
Amy Thompson
Thank you! My husband really likes one and I like the other...
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:21PM
calikym
I asked my hubby who is standing next to me and he also likes the squares. We don't agree often on matters like this but he also did not hesitate. :)
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:28PM
lefty47
HI -- Boy, this is hard ,I like them both but I think the squared one is the one. Maybe you could use the other somewhere else in the house ?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:32PM
Amy Thompson
I know! I love them both too! I am worried that with the dark granite and the dark cabinets that the tiger eye might be too dark...
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:39PM
PRO
Culbertson Durst Interiors
Order a few 12 x 12 pieces in both styles then attach them to the wall where they will be installed. Stand back and look at them at different times of the day along with the cabinet door sample and granite sample. Choose the one which feels best after a few days
2 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:56PM
Amy Thompson
Need more votes please : )
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:41PM
lynnbw
Definitely the squares. Has more gray and ties the granite and cabinets together better .
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 5:03PM
Amy Thompson
wall with the tiger eye on it
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 5:10PM
mugenseiki1
i really like the tiger eye amy.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 5:13PM
A Copeland
The squares look dated, and the rectangles give a more classic feel.. I would go with the rectangles, not the squares.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:42PM
kbw1207
Purchase samples of both and live with them for a week. Then you will have a better idea of what works for you.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:51PM
sjkingston
kbw1207 has an excellent suggestion. Other things to consider are both tile samples are very trendy right now and are also look best with modern style cabinets and a solid color counter. The granite has a lot of movement and color in it which will fight with the tiles. Both the cabinets and backsplash are very dark. A white/ivory/creme simple subway tile installed in a size/pattern you ilke would be be classic. Another option is taking the granite all the way up the backsplash to keep it simple. You don't mention what color or type of flooring the tile is, but if it's light and you got with a light subway tile, they need to be compatible and work with the tones in teh cabinet color.
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:58PM
Leanne Lovie
I'm voting for the tigers eye. I think it will connect the warm tones of your cabinets with the cool granite nicely
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:05PM
PRO
wild development
If you are using the material as the entire backsplash (as opposed to an accent) I would go with the squares as the rectangular has been used a lot and the squares are a little more unique...But if you are using it as an accent (a band or two) mixed in with another field tile like with a brick set pattern then I like the bolder colors of the rectangular one
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:14PM
Amy Thompson
Still in backsplash indecision Changed granite to White Diamonds/Banco Antico many backsplashes to choose from
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:52PM
PRO
Eagledzines
With that granite I like the bottom right backsplash. It would also seem that it would pick up both the flooring and the cabinets.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:02PM
ktiquet
Little squares or bottom right with new stone beautiful
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:55AM
More Discussions
Need help with our 70s era split level exterior.
We are going to be doing a second floor addition over...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
New roof color
Hi, we're going to put on a new roof. We're replacing...
Wanting to put slate tile floor in entry way, hesitant, needing advice
Anyone out there used slate tile floor in entry way/walkways?...
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.