powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
420 sq ft cabin for 4. Want to set up artists in residence? Famous for grand hotels, the area is falling apart
sealedesign
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Here's my idea. I want to get materials, labor, land on a lake, design, architecture students together and get donations from businesses. I will put together a movie, publicity and make this into a model house. How do get started. I have the land, plumbing, electrical and my own web ad PR skills. I want it to take one summer and have it on the resumes of forward-thinking designers and architects. The property is in New Hampshire on a lake near town. I can get an architect who loves passive house standards. Besides getting it on their resumes and publicity, they could maybe get free weeks for vacation in the cabin.
I could get a nature-lovers meetup group to explore the beautiful area as a side activity. I have 8 motel units people could stay in while working on the project. I think I would need a chef also.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
As a vacation property manager I love your idea. What part of the country is this in? Are there any architecture schools in the area? I would start there.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:54PM
sealedesign
It is 3 hours from Boston where there are architecture schools. My friend who is a retired architect who knows passive house lives in Maine and I think he would direct the students. There is a famous barn theatre that has interns from all over the US come for the summer and there are 2 grand hotels nearby and another more famous hotel is 20 minutes away. The place I want to do the project is on a lake and is a motel and cabins. It used to handle the overflow for the hotel but it is pretty run down now. It's my hometown but so much talent has moved to the city, I wonder if the town will die even with the great area and hotels. It is 20 minutes away from the Mount Washington Hotel and 2 nice ski resorts but really, there is nothing in the town except the hotels. The town is cute but half the stores are empty.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:10PM
sealedesign
Maybe I should add pictures of what is there now at the lake. There is a 3-bedroom house, 4 cabins and 8 motel units. I guess people fish on the lake.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:31PM
sealedesign
Decoenthusiast, from being in the vacation rental business, you must see areas that are dying. How do you determine what can be profitable, what can be fixed up. Maybe some places just need to be torn down and forgotten.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Help with finishing touches to my livingroom refresh.
I've repainted and changed the rug, which is very bold....
I need help with accessories and arrangements in living room. I have l
Please help me with table arrangement and book shelf...
Window Treatment Help
We have three sets of sliding doors in our kitchen....
How do I dress these windows?
My living room has a large cathedral style window (made...
Have dining "booth" - how to incorporate into 1982 split foyer home!
PIcture doesn't show well. The 1982 kitchen is opposite...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.