Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Space planning in Family Room
suzegeorgia
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Can someone help us with space planning in our family room? Our home is small and the only “living area” is the 15’ by 19’ family room which is open to the dining room as well as the foyer area. There is also another large opening between the family room and kitchen. The huge window over the fireplace and two sets of French doors along the back wall make furniture arrangement difficult. I desperately need to figure out where I am going to put the furniture and especially the tv in this room. We have a sectional that has the sofa, loveseat portion, and a chaise but it will not work anymore, no matter how I position it. I really need help with the room arrangement, I've never had a room bug me like this one. I want to use the space wisely. Someone please help me!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Demogrl
This looks like a beautiful room. On the 19 Ft and 11.75 are there windows? What is your budget and what style?
January 20, 2013 at 8:22pm     
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
On the long wall I would place a long sofa (have a look at Restoration Hardware 10' long ones) with a collection of pictures or 1 large piece over the sofa. Directly across from the sofa a media unit for the TV, left of the sofa a swivel chair (check out crate and barrel) and to the left of the fireplace the same swivel chair. Place an open legged coffee table or ottoman, 2 round end tables on either side of sofa. It is a challenging space but that should do it, good luck.
January 20, 2013 at 8:35pm   
suzegeorgia
On the 19 ft and 11.75 there are no windows. I have tried to sell all the things that we had that were more country and our style now is more modern. I do have a limited budget, but I am really good at finding bargains and used pieces. I hate to get rid of my sectional, but I can't make it work.
January 20, 2013 at 9:00pm   
2dogssashatess
I love your windows and the leafy outlook
January 20, 2013 at 9:04pm     
suzegeorgia
Thanks, but it is very hard to figure out where to put the furniture cause you have to walk through the room to get to the kitchen and if I pull the furniture from the wall, it looks like a bowling alley!
January 20, 2013 at 9:11pm   
Demogrl
I would put a mantel over the fireplace to give it more visual interest and draw the eye to the beautiful windows. Are you willing to paint that wall an accent color? If so...something dark give the allusion of a less "bowling Alley" feel. On the 11' wall I would place the TV at the end.. closest to the dinning opening. a large couch on the 19 wall and a over sized chair with back to the front door. Do you still have the 2 beige chairs?
January 20, 2013 at 10:21pm   
mveasey
What a beautiful room and an enviable problem you have!
Love your chairs as well, nice choice. A few questions:
What dimensions is your sectional? Does it come into pieces?Do you use the opening french doors? Do you mainly watch television in this room or prefer to sit by the fireplace? Or all of the above?
I had a few thoughts:
If you do not use the opening french door at all, I would place the chairs each side of the fireplace.
I would put the sectional on the longer wall and entertainment centre across. If you like your sectional in general, not just when it is in one huge piece, but for looks and comfort, an upholsterer might be able to make them into separate pieces that are more flexible. If you don't watch much TV, you could have the chairs by the fireplace and a sofa piece across from them, directly in front of the fireplace. You could have the chaise part touching the sofas back, facing to the entry, in a more welcoming fashion.
January 20, 2013 at 10:40pm   
mveasey
If you would have a very long couch, the picture one is 105" long, a long coffeetable/ or two smaller ones together.
you could do an arrangement with chairs, two small side sofa tables and cocktail tablesas in the photo with your chairs (not in drawing),across from the TV unit.
Demogrl is right, if you would paint the fireplace wall an interesting, or simply little different colour, that space would look advancing and not as long. I personally like the white, and you said you wanted to go more modern...
I apologize the drawing looks like a first grader, but just to give you perhaps another idea... Best of luck!
January 20, 2013 at 11:18pm     
suzegeorgia
Thanks so much for all your help. The drawing was so helpful as that is what I was thinking about doing but was concerned about the walkway being through the middle of the viewing area of the tv. My husband watches a lot of sports in the family room. I have set up one of the back bedrooms for tv viewing but he never seems to go in there, it is kind of isolated and you can't enjoy the gas fireplace if you are back in there. Just to let you know, the sectional does come apart and I have actually ripped the upholstery off and tried to remove the odd side piece, but due to how it is constructed, you can't remove it. I do still have the two armchairs. We do use the french doors (just the right side) as it is the only way to get into the back yard. But the doors to the right of the fireplace are fixed and don't open. I have had the chairs by the fireplace, but when they are there they block the view of the fireplace with the sectional place where it currently is.
January 21, 2013 at 7:26am   
mveasey
Glad you like the idea that was suggested by many. I guess the issue with people walking by while your husband is watching TV will remain, but with that type of room, this will be a sacrifice I hope your husband will come to live with. Hope you find a great deal on a beautiful long sofa!
January 21, 2013 at 9:22am