Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Just not feeling that wow
debbie321
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We love to have our movie nights in our family room/dinning room. Room is 16x24 I wonder what kind of arrangement and color a decorator would use. Furnature arranged in a 12x12 area now.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
Hello

remove the lamp near your TV area. Add a nice colorful rug below the centre table.
go for nice silk curtains in green/beige or brown color.

regards
www.anishkmotwani.in
January 20, 2013 at 9:54pm     
Darzy
If you would like a more "movie theatre" feel... How about painting the walls a chocolate brown? It would be cozy with our without a movie. I'd try putting the two matching end table/lamp at the same end of the sofas sort of flanking the tv. Then, the lamp/table by the chair..facing the tv and coffee table centered. Two matching chairs, with a table/lamp in between facing the tv would be even better. An area rug under the coffee table would cozy the space as well.
January 20, 2013 at 10:20pm     
Judit
I see what you mean by missing the wow. Everything is on it's place here and functioning but: you should add a more lively wall colour, a large, patterned rug and pillows to create that feeling :)
January 20, 2013 at 10:38pm     
debbie321
Thank you for the help, keep the comments coming. Any thoughts on colors to use, it's such a large area.
January 21, 2013 at 10:06am   
Darzy
Are the sofas gray and the chair/lamps a pink? In one picture the chair looks pink, in another it looks like a rust color. Are you keeping all the furniture and just looking for wall color and arrangement for current furniture.
January 21, 2013 at 10:26am   
debbie321
The sofas are fawn and the chair is a rust. Lamps are deep red. The drapes have to stay they have a rust,green and gold stripe. I am trying to work with what I have but will remove or add.
January 21, 2013 at 10:40am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
hi, I'd take sofa ato the left facing side of the tv and face it into the tv and move the lounge chair to the lfet of the tv.....unless one is willing to move the chair from viewing to the tv, you have an arrangement currently that is about as good as it gets. I'd then change those lamp shades to an off white
January 21, 2013 at 10:45am     
debbie321
It's funny you should say that. That is how I used to have it. I just wasn't sure that I should look at the back of the couch from the kitchen and while dinning. What do you think of the walls they are a sans color now.
January 21, 2013 at 10:54am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lets get the piece in place first before moving ahead...the arrangement is the first step. One will look at the back of a sofa or the back of the chair....
January 21, 2013 at 10:56am   
debbie321
Poof
January 21, 2013 at 11:47am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
shaaaazzzam
January 21, 2013 at 11:54am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
what do you think .....your opinion helps me help you
January 21, 2013 at 11:54am   
Darzy
I agree with Gary to replace the lamp shades to an off white. If you want a moody "movie" room feel, a deep purple wall will complement the sofa color/chair and curtains Notice the art in the photo below has your colors in it.

January 21, 2013 at 11:56am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lay a lap robe or throw over the back of the sofa ( left side of the back )
January 21, 2013 at 11:56am   
debbie321
It gives me more room. I don't like my TV wall. And my accessories are lacking for sure.
January 21, 2013 at 12:07pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lets work on those lampshades take a lamp shopping with you .....
January 21, 2013 at 12:10pm   
debbie321
Do you like the lamps because I thought about changing.
January 21, 2013 at 12:13pm   
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Color...add a large area rug that incorporates all of current warm tones plus green. Pick up the green for your walls & ceiling. Paint the walls under the moulding a deeper green, then above the moulding plus the ceiling 2 shades lighter than the main walls. Your furniture arrangement looks great to me, & I love your accessories except for the lamps. Replace them with ivory silk shades. I'm not loving the valance on the door window...can that go??? Add great throw pillows. I would also beef up the moulding all around the room.
January 21, 2013 at 12:25pm     
debbie321
Had this in house just a visual
January 21, 2013 at 12:25pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
far better
January 21, 2013 at 12:27pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
do you ever open those drapery? guessing they are drawn for the photos
January 21, 2013 at 12:27pm   
debbie321
Oh they are usually open I have a dark color bamboo for a filter. The drapes are stripe. Green mustard and burnt red.
January 21, 2013 at 12:32pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
got it
January 21, 2013 at 12:33pm   
carole
how about putting a halltable at the back of the sofa,they dont take uo to much room,that would make more of a room devider.
January 21, 2013 at 12:55pm     
debbie321
I'm not much into steel doors. I covered it for the movie watchers.
January 21, 2013 at 1:14pm   
More Discussions
Flooring in den
I'm considering hardwood or parkay flooring for my...
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Sitting Room mirror decision!
I have a relatively dark sitting room with a large...
Need help with this livingroom
Moving to NC next week and this is our living room...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.