powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
SOS: what should I do with my tiny master bath ???
meiguoxiaoniu
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The first pic is my super tiny master bath. About 4.9 'x8.2'. The remodeling is undergoing right now and we've knocked down the wall closet between vanity and shower to enlarge the shower space to the entire wall.
I originally have tons of ideas and want to do a dark accent wall at the long wall of the shower space, but then quickly found my mistake: this bathroom is too tiny to afford any dark color or complicated decor!
So I decide to do it in a simple,airy yet timeless fashion. Pics 2 and 3 are my inspiration. Below are my questions:
1. Big white 12x24 or even 12x35 tile, or white subway tile,which one should I choose? If subway tiles win, should I go for glass clear/frost tiles? They are back and trendy now but for a long run I am not sure which would look more timeless.
2. Should I do a accent wall? If the answer is yes, the long wall in shower room or the short wall next to the vanity where shower head will be? I am thinking to do floor to ceiling light grey mosaic in this wall about just 3/4 width of it, but not sure if this would divide the space and make it look even smaller...

What do you think?? What should I do?? My contractor is waiting for my decision....so stressed...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meiguoxiaoniu
This pic shows the idea i am talking about.By the way wall tiles are only used in shower space and the the entire rest space will be painted with a very light bluish/grey (very close to white).
If I use white/grey marble on the floor, maybe I should just keep the shower all white without any accent tiles? Or if I want to use mosaic accent tiles, it's better to use them on the floor as well?
January 21, 2013 at 1:19AM     
80brooke
For smaller rooms the less you break them up the larger they look. The mosaic may break it up too much. You are much better off using the white grey marble on the floor, use a contrast paint that matches the darker color in the marble on a wall, and if you need to pull an accent into your shower, maybe use a sliced cut piece of the same marble as the floor into your inset )like the inset in the bottom photo). You can then accent with your towels, you have a nice background to set any color off.
January 21, 2013 at 1:55AM     
80brooke
Ps. the marble floor in the middle top photo would work well with the photo #3 look that you like
January 21, 2013 at 1:58AM   
meiguoxiaoniu
Here are the two options I like. Sorry about the terrifying look it's too hard to draw on a iPad..
1. Marble floor with no accent in shower space at all
2. Grey/white mosaic floor and accent on the shower head wall.

Hmmm....
January 21, 2013 at 1:59AM     
meiguoxiaoniu
Forgot to attach pics..
How about large 12x24 12x35 white tiles vs subway tiles?
January 21, 2013 at 2:06AM   
meiguoxiaoniu
Sigh. I always like to be a interior designer but I can't even make a simple decision for my own bathroom!
January 21, 2013 at 2:15AM     
80brooke
use the marble flloor. You really can look at a painted accent wall after it is all done. You can put one large accent inset, like the one that has the flower on it in the bottom pic but it needs to be a big piece of tile not broken up or it will be too distarcting. You can do this. I am working with my daughter on her small master bath right now and they have complicated it all to #!**. If there was time left I would tell you to match the darker color of the marble with the tiles of the entire back wall of the shower. Your contractor will kill you.
January 21, 2013 at 2:15AM   
80brooke
Not the drawing on the right. Too busy.
January 21, 2013 at 2:17AM   
80brooke
While I LOVE the look of the sink on the right, unless you really have a decent towel and sundry storage area other than in the bathroom, you will need a vanity style sink. Sigh. My daughter has a linencloset directly outside of her bathroom so she can use the open look in the photo you posted on the right
January 21, 2013 at 2:23AM   
80brooke
You can do this and it will be great. Goodnight.
January 21, 2013 at 2:32AM   
meiguoxiaoniu
Lol let him kill me so. You are right I will do vanity but with legs just to keep open feeling. Upload some more ideas here to reference.
The second pic has glass subway tiles.
The more pics I explore, the more I feel simple is big in a small space.
January 21, 2013 at 2:35AM   
Ramona
Simple is always good, no matter the size of the space, but I think mozaic tiles all in one subdued color are simple. However, the large glass subway tiles are even more simple and they will be easier to keep clean because of less grout.
January 21, 2013 at 2:47AM     
n6kiv00
no accent wall. Think 6"x10" tiles running horizontally all around the room. It is clean and spa like.
January 21, 2013 at 3:34AM   
meiguoxiaoniu
Ok I will pass the accent wall idea. Will do marble like porcelain tiles or grey/white mosaic tiles on the floor. Then what about shower wall? Should I go for white 12x24 tile or glass mosaic tile.. White 12x24 tiles will be really white, but big and flat, while glass tiles give a transparent look but smaller and more grout.
I probably wont do a entire wall of tiles, only keep them in the shower space. The rest will be painted.....
January 21, 2013 at 7:30AM   
80brooke
I am thinking grey and white glass tiles - like the picture - on the shower walls. And perhaps a grey and white marble on the floor (shower and rest of bathroom). And then use grey grout on all of it...
January 21, 2013 at 3:01PM     
Luciana
We had this done couple of months ago - looks very much like the photo in your second post. The en-suite is a little larger than yours, and it's been tanked to be a wet room, that's why the shower partition doesn't have a door. We used limestone for tiling and limestone mosaic for shower tray and niches - the only disadvantage is that we had to seal it - we were told to do it every 6 months.
Good luck with your project and let me know if you want more details!

January 21, 2013 at 3:24PM     
meiguoxiaoniu
Thanks Luciana, I wish I could tell them about the wet room idea earlier coz it looks really BEAUTIFUL in your bathroom. But it's too late now T_T...
January 21, 2013 at 7:25PM