powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How would black countertop look with this floor?
ivanno
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I can use solid white quartz but love the black and white idea too
I have black built in oven and cook top
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murphyart
Yes black! Right now there is no contrast. With a dark counter it will be great!!
3 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:24AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi ivanno!
With your flooring and the color of your cabinets, I think an all white or a black and white counter would be a little too stark. It looks like your cabinets are more of an off white, and your floor has a lot of brown in it. I too like the idea of going with a darker counter to create more contrast, but I would suggest something more like Silestone's Sienna Ridge (pictured below). I think it would look beautiful with your counters and floors, and creates enough contrast without being too dark. In addition to replacing the counters, a new backsplash would be nice too. The bright white above the cabinets isn't the best contrast to the cream colored cabinets. A small square tile in a light wheat color would be beautiful. Just some ideas for you, good luck with your design!
3 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:40AM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Do a search on here with "black and white kitchens" dark countertop, white cabinets, etc. Find what contrast your prefer. But something needs to be done. I'd such orion blue or something exotic. You can find anexotic video on my website at http://tgmcabients.weebly.com under the granite tab.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:41AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
If you have under cabinet lighting then go with black, otherwise you can experience light absorption from the dark countertops giving the room a closed in feeling.
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:42AM
tatjanamandaric16
very nice and kitchen is white wonderful maybe I coolor wal wwhite coofie
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:46AM
Andrea Mc
I would choose one of the darker colors that is in the floor tile and go with something like that. I think black would go, but I think something a little lighter would look better. I love the cabinets :)
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 7:52AM
ivanno
the darkest color is purple .
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:05AM
alwaysdesigning
Options: keep the white and make your island the drama feature. Dramatic granite, paint the base. UPdate cabinets with dramatic hardware and switch out a few doors for glass insert doors. A dramatic fixture over the island could be nice.

Or, A black countertop would be awesome. There are some black granites that are not just "black" but have some color when light reflects on it; very pretty options there. Black counter may mean switching out your sink and faucet as well. Switch the sink and faucet with black ones or stainless

For additional drama, choose a gorgeous granite for the island to complement the black (look at the white/light Juparana type granites for drama; I am doing that in my new house). Paint the island base an accent color or black. .

The bit of wall between the cabinets above the window can be painted a very bold accent color to draw the eye up. The flooring could be changed out with a nice wood or wood look tile. Good luck.

[houzz=Kitchen]

[houzz=KITCHENS]

[houzz=Danenberg Design]

[houzz=Furman Jr. Residence]
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 8:35AM
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
I think a black or a dark countertop will add the contrast you are looking for. I would also add in a backsplash that ties in the floor and the countertop.

Here are some lighter kitchens that are using a black, dark gray or other dark countertops to contrast the cabinetry...

This kitchen uses a black counter with the white cabinets and a white counter on the black cabinets...
“Destined to be a Classic” Kitchen by Dura Supreme Cabinetry

This kitchen uses a dark gray counter to add contrast the lighter cabinets...
White Cottage Styled Kitchen 1
White Cottage Styled Kitchen 2

Here are more kitchens with lighter cabinetry and black counters… Look at how they tie in the backsplashes.
Dreamy Creamy Kitchen 1
Dreamy Creamy Kitchen 2
Dreamy Creamy Kitchen 3
Enjoy the View from your Breathtaking Kitchen 1
Enjoy the View from your Breathtaking Kitchen 2
Enjoy the View from your Breathtaking Kitchen 3
Hahka Happy Cottage Kitchen
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:02AM
Jayme H.
I think dark would look great!
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 9:18AM
ivanno
Love your ideas to incorporate colors of floor into backsplash
I wanted to ignore it I would keep it simple
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 9:23AM
beverlynn
Black granite counter would be beautiful!
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:38AM
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Thanks. I’m glad you like the idea. Making your counter work with your backsplash can add a lot and make more of a statement in any kitchen. You could either replicate the pattern of the tiles or just use some of the tones mixed with a few darker tiles or grout to tie in the darker counter tops.

This kitchen has the white cabinets, black counter and has a gold/tan floor. They took the colors from the floor and put darker hues of them in the backsplash. This makes the backsplash stand out from the floor but still match and brings more warmth and contrast while tying in the darker countertop. You’re room is more tan and cream then tan and gold. So I would use this concept but stick to the hues in your kitchen.
Dreamy Creamy Kitchen

This backsplash ties in the dark counter and the blinds. You could do something like this to bring out the counter you choose, except with the tan hues of your floor instead of tan/ gold hues they used in this photo... It’s not white cabinets, but you could imagine if they were white ;) Destined to be a Classic 1

Adding a grayish tan backsplash tile could work too…
Craftsman Kitchen Corbels

Here’s another counter/ backsplash combo I like.
Destined to be a Classic 2
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:41AM
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
beverlynn- I agree and black granite would look amazing! One of my favorite kinds of black granite counter is the river rock granite... It's very unique and mostly black but has large rocks scattered throughout. It almost looks like a river or a stream of clear water. It’s very unique and stunning in person.

Kitchen
Showcase 2006
http://www.kitchen-design-ideas.org/jurassic-black-granite.html
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:59AM
michele101
Black excellent choice
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 10:09AM
ivanno
I'm afraid that black would look 'fancy' compared to floor 'casual'
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 10:11AM
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
I think your floors would work jsut fine with black.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 10:13AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would choose black with minimal pattern. The floor is too patterned with definitive colors for most anything else, and I really do not care for white or cream with your cabinets, which are great, by the way. The cabinet handles & pulls are too whimpy. Use a more sleek, stainless, longer handle on all, doors & drawers.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 10:19AM
PRO
MHI Interiors
From your picture, I cannot tell if cabinets are a true white, but other colors in your kitchen are on the warm tones. Having a dark counter is a good choice - Cambria Quartz has many options. Below are two examples Edinburough and Blackwood - Both are black but have a hint of neutral tones that would tie into your flooring. A tile backsplash from counter to cabinet would complete your new look - I like using glass tile (easy clean-up and very durable.) I also agree with Barbara Griffiths Designs - Change out handles and give cabinetry a new look.
3 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 10:43AM
ivanno
Love those two colors . I will be changing the cabinet handles to stainless .the cabinets are a creamy white. I will also hang two globe glass lights over the island . What color backsplash do you think
the walls are yellowish (barley grass)
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 10:51AM
beverlynn
My counters are like the above picture on the right. Flecks of silver and i tiny bit of blue in it. It's hard for me to see the wall color, but maybe a backsplash with varying shades of gray with a splash of red and/or yellow (close to the wall color) thrown in for interest.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 11:04AM
PRO
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I think black countertops would work amazingly, but I would go with something as solid black as possible since you have the different shades on the floor.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:39AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would see if I could get some of the (the size looks like) 6x12 & 6x6 floor tiles in the beige most shade, and use them as the backsplash. I would lean toward all 6x12, they could be laid in a stacked pattern or a brick (subway) layout.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:42AM
anitajoyce
The black countertop will work nicely with the floor. All the colors in the room are neutrals and the black will definitely add another nice contrasting color and dimension to the room.
3 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:48AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
A shutter would look amazing on that window. I would recommend going with a Pvc shutter so it wont warp or discolor over time like wood shutters will.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:05PM
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Honed granite would be a softer alternative to black granite. It's gray black. Under cabinet lighting is ALWAYS a good idea & bolder cabinet hardware will be the jewelry it needs.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 1:12PM
ivanno
I have under and upper cabinet lighting
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 1:28PM
tatjanamandaric16
Granit or mramor is beautiful and forever cool modern
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 1:45PM
Cassie
I think a black countertop would look nice, if you were to buy black handles and knobs for the cabinets, I think it would look better like that. But that's just what I would do.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 2:04PM
tatjanamandaric16
black design very nice idea and modern
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 2:08PM
tatjanamandaric16
Thanks but please explain to me since you far ahead of us and before we know when we were supposed to come in the colors of red marble,pink,white,blue,brown,black,white, but Ive heard red marble is not whether this is possible or is it a good imitation of something is not clear to us A tomb was made from the bright red marble from us country is very much people worked imitation everything
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 2:57PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.