powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My Living room is screaming for a make over..even the fishes are dying of boredom. What should I do here?
adianezh
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am thinking of a wall mount for the TV and a dark color to paint the back, as you can see there is also a window on the left side of the T.V. wall. Also, the wall where the fish tank is located looks kind of lonely there . What can I do to make this a cozy room and blend all elements together?? BTW, Behind the sofa window there is a beautiful pond view. Thank you :-)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
patriciarhall
group the plant and the white urn with the cylinder on the right. remove the copper looking item from the tv console. center the tv and console between the window and the wall and place the multi piece art work above the tv (don't wall mount the tv). would love to see your pond view and other walls of the room.
January 21, 2013 at 8:20am     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
It is a very neutral room, although there is nothing wrong with that. It just needs a few things to warm it up. Try drapery panels on both sides of both windows. Mount the hardware as close to the ceiling as possible and have the panels go to the floor. You can go with any color or pattern you want because you have such a neutral room. For inexpensive, ready made drapes look at Bed Bath and Beyond. The panels don't need to cover a ton of the window, just the side edges of the window. You can then throw some coordinating pillows on the sofa. The white vase is a little too tall to be sitting ON something, try moving it to the floor. Maybe move the white vase and plant next to the fish tank. When looking at the tank you will put it on the left hand side. The plant will sit closest to the tank and then the white vase to the left of the plant. This will soften up that side of the fish tank. When you put up drapes you might have to scoot the TV down just a little to the right. Start with those items and see how it effects the space. Then you can continue from there. When it comes to accessorizing and finishing the room you have to do it in layers, doing the biggest most important things first and then working your way to adding in the smaller accents. Good luck!
January 21, 2013 at 8:30am     
Nancy Hehmann
I would get drapes with grommets and a rod that fills the grommet. JCPenney.com carry those. Once you have selected those I would get some throw cushions for the couch. Cant see the area rug well. If there is a nice color in it, I would choose that color for the drapes and cushions. Or get a new area rug and choose one of the colors for your accent drapes and pillows.

By the way, the light from the fish bowl is a really nice cobalt blue; perhaps that should be the clue for your makeover color.
January 21, 2013 at 8:43am     
adianezh
This is the view of the window behind the sofa. A bit dark because it was very bright outside. There is another fish tank here that is currently being finished to place salt water corals and a few fishes.
January 21, 2013 at 8:44am   
michigammemom
It looks like you have two small area rugs; one in front of the TV and one in front of the sofa. I would suggest one large rug with a simple graphic pattern like this jute rug from West Elm. Print throw pillows will go a long way to add color and warmth to your room. The white urn is much too large to be used on end table portion of your sectional so try it on the floor near your fish tank with in place of the chrome vessel. I would also suggest woven or bamboo shades on the windows to add texture.
January 21, 2013 at 8:45am     
Dawn
Window treatments, pillows A splash of color
January 21, 2013 at 8:48am     
PRO
Weatherwell Elite - Aluminum Shutters
Maybe adding a bit of drama with some black shutters. We did a job that looked amazing and really transferred the room.
January 21, 2013 at 8:52am     
snowschoo
I agree with Dawn. Also, put the white vase on the floor and add a few stalks of bamboo or something tall. Definitely need pillows and drapes.
Carol
January 21, 2013 at 8:54am   
patriciarhall
thanks for the look at the pond! Bringing in some of the outdoor color into your room would be lovely. I especially like the potential of lime green print pillows with your sofa.
January 21, 2013 at 9:23am     
Jennifer Hogan
Start with the basics - what must you keep (the couch, the carpet, the TV). What do you do in the room - if it is mainly for watching TV, test several positions of the couch and TV, is there one that allows you to both watch TV and view the beautiful pond?

Once you have the basics furniture placement decide on color. You have beige carpet and a beige couch - don't be afraid to add color. Look at nature to find an inspiration. If you look at fall leaves you see the beige mixed with orange and moss greens. If you look at a desert scene you will see the sand and the cactus and the cactus in bloom - if you look at a seascape you have the sea with the grays and blues next to the sand. Look in your closet - what colors make your heart sing - what is your favorite outfit.

Find your inspiration and build the color palette from there.
January 21, 2013 at 9:55am     
adianezh
Hello,
As I read the comments I am getting inspired to bring in a Turquoise Blue color to bring in the water elements for a color splash to complement the beige colors inside my home. Attached is a metal work that I have not yet placed in the wall and this is the color like Jennifer Hogan says makes my heart sing :-)
January 21, 2013 at 10:47am     
Jennifer Hogan
I love deep teal too, but a little can go a long way. Use this as an accent .
January 21, 2013 at 1:09pm   
Jennifer Hogan
look up tan and teal living rooms on this site for inspiration!
January 21, 2013 at 1:13pm     
More Discussions
Powder Room Update: Need Advice
We are changing the floor to multi-color slate and...
Newest piece of furniture in your house?
Furnishing a house is often a lifetime project, with...
Is this backsplash too busy?
We are in search for our new backsplash. Main goal...
Asbestos Tile? What did you do with yours?
There is asbestos tile in two rooms of our home over...
How do I fill this empty space?
We have about a foot of clear space above the refrigerator...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.