Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture Layout for awkward shaped FR
Carrie McDonald
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions for furniture placement in this room :) the first photo angle is with your back to the kitchen which opens right up to the FR. To the right are 3 large windows and past the fireplace on the left is the entry-way. This is the most used room in our house with my young son and myself. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Would put a credenza on the wall under the two stained or leaded glass windows for TV if you have it. Float your sofa facing it on a nice area rug with a coffee table. Put one armchair with its back to the first window, facing the FP with a side table and lamp. If you feel there is room, try a sofa table behind the sofa. If that puts it near the dining spot, you can use it for a buffet server when you have company. Single patterned panels hung between each window, floor to ceiling, will warm and soften the space. Perhaps a round sunburst mirror would look good above the FP, but keep it simple so it isn't too distracting from your little windows. I am trying to determine what the green insets are in the flooring? This looks to be under construction but the pic is not too clear. Are you waiting for carpet installation?
January 21, 2013 at 10:06am   
PRO
Kevin Varanai
Hello Carrie, I would love to see a few more pictures or a sketched floor plan to get a better sense of the space. I definitely feel you should take advantage of your open kitchen/living room set up. That said, I would add barstools to the bar, this way your son can do homework while you are in the kitchen or living room. Also add a sofa in front of the large windows. Depending on the amount of entertaining you do, since you said it was mainly used for you and your son, you can either put a love seat or two armchairs agains the wall with the smaller square clerestory windows.

Again, I would need to see the floor plan to get a better sense of the space to be more helpful (: I would love to help you and your son with this project though. I am an interior design student and will be graduating in June. I'm working on an innovative interior design approach and would love to test it out on you! If you would be interested with me helping you with this project more (for free (: since I am trying to build my portfolio and concept) please contact me at kevinvaranai@gmail.com. I will elaborate more through email (: Good luck and would love to hear from you!
January 21, 2013 at 10:42am   
Jayme H.
Where r u going to put your t.v.? From what I see, I would be inclined to have a sofa face the fireplace-Probably in front of the picture window. It does not look like it could really be angled much or floating in the room due to constraints from the kitchen bar/island area...Could be wrong, hard to tell from the pics.
January 21, 2013 at 10:47am   
judianna20
A built-in, running under your two windows to hold the t v and everything else that you may not want displayed at company time, This will make for a quick clean-up time. Keep the top of this built in the same height as the mantel.

Is there room for a sleek sectional, with the larger piece under the three windows.

January 21, 2013 at 11:07am   
claudiann
I would put the tv over the fireplace. I would try for a u shape furniture arrangement in front of the fireplace. Maybe a small sectional. That way you would have some privacy from the windows when you're watching tv.
January 21, 2013 at 11:50am