Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My kitchen needs help, any ideas??
diane8
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We painted Philadelphia creme and updated, cabinets, new microwave to match range but now what?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tennisanyone
Paint the mauve/red wall the green. Not sure of the countertop. Are you planning to change it?
January 21, 2013 at 9:35am   
Jayme H.
Any thoughts of a new backsplash? And window treatment? Looks really nice! And that wall color in the next room seems to clash a little, no offense.
January 21, 2013 at 9:36am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Agree paint the pink/red wall the green even if the countertop stays and is also mauvish. Add a backsplash that has a pattern..something with light & dark shades in it. Is there a picture of what is behind the barstool area?? You need to dress the entire area not just the actual kitchen If the window in the picture were a stand alone, I would probably put a fabric roman shade on it, with again, a pattern.
January 21, 2013 at 9:44am   
diane8
That mapleleaf red wall was here when we moved in to this house. Yes, thank you, that is a very good idea to paint it something else.

RE: Counters, Due to the fact that we are selling this house, we stopped short of making any "investment" decorating changes.

RE: Backsplash, tumbled travertine?
January 21, 2013 at 9:44am   
diane8
OK, that would be very nice BG Designs. This area is definately blah and could use some pattern. We have patterened drapes in the adjacent room.
January 21, 2013 at 9:48am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Tumbled travertine would be a waste and too blah. If you are selling the house I would do the smaller glass tiles in maybe creams/grays/dark grays-black/ in a random pattern. This would work with anyone's color or decor. but it would give the kitchen a little pattern and a more modern look.
January 21, 2013 at 9:59am   
ruthmand
If you are getting ready to sell I wouldn't do much other than paint the red wall. Someone is not more likely to buy your house because you have a certain backsplash. Let them decide what they want to do to make the kitchen theirs. They may just rip it out. Keep the walls neutral, the counters cleared off, with only a couple of larger colorful display pieces on them, and your personal stuff to a minimum so they can visualize their things in your space.
January 21, 2013 at 10:02am     
michele101
Nice kitchen ... blind or fitted curtain may add to it
January 21, 2013 at 10:06am   
diane8
Good Point ruthmand, it hard to know what to do to help market a home. Paint and curtain of some sort could just do the trick! Thanks
January 21, 2013 at 10:17am   
Jayme H.
If the home is for sale, agreed I would not do a backsplash..just paint, curtains and staging.
January 21, 2013 at 10:23am     
diane8
Made this recommended changes to the kitchen and lowered the price. We have a buyer and are very happy!
March 25, 2013 at 7:59am     
Jayme H.
Awesome!! Good for you! Congrats!
March 25, 2013 at 8:07am   
tennisanyone
Looks so nice with the changes. Congrats.
March 25, 2013 at 9:58am   
Kim Ritter
Love the white cabinets. If you pick a grey, black, and silver spotted countertop- it would look gorgeous with what you already have. Also agree that the mauve wall should be painted pale green
March 25, 2013 at 10:04am   
ruthmand
Kim Ritter, please note this thread is 2 mos. old and they now have a buyer for their house.
March 25, 2013 at 10:25am   
Kim Ritter
Oh- right -- I didn't even notice, LOL
March 25, 2013 at 10:28am     
Jayme H.
@Kim...happens to us all! LOL
March 25, 2013 at 12:13pm