Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with porch
sherrygrisham
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
"We are planning on adding a larger porch to our house & don't know how to start. As you can see our porch is to small for the house. We are thinking a 2 story porch & adding a door upstairs where the middle window is & keeping the porch as is on bottom floor. OR adding to each side of the porch & nothing upstairs. Any ideas would be great. I will be adding shutters soon & I know that will help
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Wrap the porch around from the side door to the front. Cover both with a shed roof porch and columns. Nice old house!
3 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 10:01PM
ourfarmhouse
You've got a beautiful house! I'd be careful not to add too much structure, as you could very quickly overdo it. Nooks and inside corners add visual interest and allow for landscaping to complement and fill out the house.

I think a porch across the whole front would be overpowering for the main structure and actually might feel foreboding instead of inviting, because of how close it is to the front passing walkway.

Restraint is key, and I think it still could get you what you're looking for...
6 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:35AM
ourfarmhouse
Here is a version with a larger porch that could work...
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:44AM
calamityaaa
thankyou so much but there is a front porch / verandah etc but there is some plants growing with sleeper borders i thoughy maybe some sort of centre piece , circular track for vechiles . urns on bases for trailing plants i really dont know as looking from the verandah to the road there is nothing help
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:22AM
PRO
Laara Copley-Smith Garden & Landscape Design
If the budget allows I would install a larger veranda as the scale of the property could take this , you could also wrap a section around to the side steps. I dont feel that this would be too much. At present the side steps do feel remote. This would work as it is just about designing a front entrance porch / veranda & side veranda it in proportion with the property.

You also have plenty of space to plant from the stone wall at the front road back to meet the veranda & to either side of the main steps. Wrapping a border around the side. So the entire framework of the house & veranda is frame by planting. Substantial & geometric shaped borders which follow the lines of the property would work well with the architecture. Be generous with the scale of the plant borders.

Planting upto the stone wall would emphasis the natural textures & colours of the wall. I see that as an added feature.

I would keep the planting simple, may be a limited colour palette or specific colours. Climbers to entwine with the timber handrail / balustrade , Boxwoods for structure & an evergreen frame, the boxwoods would look fabulous with this house. And some softer perennial planting teamed with roses ( depending upon your climate )

you have a fabulous project & house... enjoy
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 11:07AM
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
It's too bad you have such a grade change from this porch to the street. It'd be nice to have an intermediate landing at the top of the wall that you could connect a sidewalk to and that sidewalk would lead to your other entrance. It could be done, you'd just have to rework the wall and steps coming from the street to lead up to the corner of the house instead. It wouldn't be a straight set of stairs. Could be a more interesting entry sequence. I love the rendering by ourfarmhouse, I can appreciate hou much time was put into it. Thanks
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 11:34AM
bollmansct
Hi - do you want a porch (for chairs, outdoor entertaining etc.) or simply a larger stoop? I love wraparound porches. Some considerations: a covered porch will reduce the natural light that comes through your windows and on the side (right side in the pic) you don't have room between windows and roof line for a pitched roof. You could do a wraparound using "oldfarmhouse" approach over front door and then an open pergola on the wrap to the side door. A pergola is flat, not sloped, provides some shade and defines the space. You can train plants (climbing roses, wisteria etc.) to grow up and over the pergola. You can also alter the depth, with more depth on the side so you really get more of an outdoor entertainment area by the side door. Doing this would make your house look wider from the front. We live on our porch in the warmer weather....enjoy!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 12:23PM
sherrygrisham
Thanks for all the great comments & suggestions. I love the pic with new porch, got a lot to think about. Just got my hands on a pic of my house from the 40's, the porch is boxed in
3 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:05PM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
I'd like to vote for a double storey porch. Good luck with your project.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:52PM
angiesays
I would also vote for a double story porch, dropping the pitch of your current roof into a flat seamed metal roof with the railing as pictured above.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 2:08AM
Walter Frazier
I love your house. Keep it as close to original as possible with no shutters. All white is beautiful.
3 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:19AM
sherrygrisham
This is the porch my contractor wants to do. Leave my roofline of course, take the middle window out upstairs, add a door & top porch. This is as close a pic that I can find. House is really close to street (both sides, we are on a corner lot)
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:49AM
bollmansct
That looks great! I am sure your contractor will keep it in porportion to your house. Good luck with your project!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:53AM