Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with living/dining room
paccalli
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help with color scheme for this dark room. In the process of removing old wallpaper. What color for walls and what color behind shelves?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lcgrcondo
I would paint the wood wall, and the shelves and the wall behind the shelves all the same colour. The only wood I would leave is the beams. This would brighten the whole space.
January 21, 2013 at 7:06pm   
2dogssashatess
Please remove curtains near tv, very dated looking and stopping light from getting in your room! I would get rid of the rocking chair, that table lamp with the cream shade looks dated. Is your floor brick? Having a dark floor, dark wooden window frames doesn't help.
January 21, 2013 at 7:16pm   
paccalli
All of the trim and wood wall is rough sawn cedar stained. Also shelves and cabinets on each side of FP. It is very rough and does not paint well. Ceiling is stained tongue and groove with stained beams. Curtains are coming down. In the process of removing old wallpaper. Floor is slate colored ceramic tile. Don't think husband will paint over stained wood. :( Should walls be beige tones or bright color?
January 21, 2013 at 7:40pm   
Patsy Castillo
Paint with colors that brighten the room, if you want to paint the shelves apply a primer same goes for the floor. I would paint between the beams to bring light to the room. I just recently painted over slate by applying a good primer then I chose a floor paint and sealed it with polyutherane; it gave the floor new life and it totally changed the old and worn area.
January 21, 2013 at 10:04pm   
Patsy Castillo
P.s. the chair would look fantastic if you gave it life with a coat of paint and a cushion that would compliment that color.
January 21, 2013 at 10:06pm   
paccalli
A few more pictures....What about window treatments? Open with moulding showing or covered?
January 23, 2013 at 7:44am   
paccalli
Excuse the mess.... a work in progress! Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think the wood is going to get repainted!
January 23, 2013 at 7:46am   
Patsy Castillo
Go with bright colors such a light bottle green going towards white...look at the cool colors that airy and breezy if you are not going to paint the wood. If you look at the color wheel you would see that a light green would help out a lot. White curtains that are made of a light weight material. Get rid of all that pink which does nothing but date your living room.
January 24, 2013 at 12:38am   
Patsy Castillo
Another thing update all your lamps and add more. Choose lamps that brighten up the room.
January 24, 2013 at 12:40am   
Elizabeth Cannon
This is how we made our almost identical fireplace more attractive. It was easy to tile with mosaic sheets. The hearth is tiled with ceramic tiles that look like slate. The mantle was made and then painted to look like black marble.
January 24, 2013 at 1:28am