powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do I make a "smooth" transition with two paint colors on a long wall in open floor plan?
aprilpatt
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please see the pictures for details ... I have fairly small house with a completely open floor plan, transitioning from living room to breakfast/dining area to kitchen. We have painted the living room a different, dark color, and the kitchen walls are white-cream color. The living room ceilings are slightly raised, which is the only "architectural" feature that separates the rooms. I REALLY need help figuring out how to transition the paint colors. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cassidyd
I would suggest not changing the color mid wall. I might make that wall a 'feature' wall that ties the two rooms together with an accent color.
January 21, 2013 at 10:41AM     
Leslie
My advice is paint it all the same color to have a more open feel to it or you can add a wooden stand there either to your liking stain it or texture it and paint it to break both rooms up, it doesn't have to be a big piece just a small frame for the opening to the kitchen.
January 21, 2013 at 10:51AM     
bezzi44
you might be able to put trim up to form a large arch, giving the appearance of two rooms and the trim will then be a divider - wood or white/.cream
January 21, 2013 at 11:09AM     
Demogrl
Could you bring that color into the kitchen wall? If so I would keep the flow on that wall going into kitchen( wall that has fridge on it ) as an accent wall in kitchen. If this is not something you can do then the trim or beam idea might be a good option.
January 21, 2013 at 11:16AM     
aprilpatt
Thank you all so much for the feedback -- it's much appreciated!
January 21, 2013 at 1:41PM   
chzahm
we have the same type of wall, an open floor plan and that long wall is in the kitchen, and into the living room. It probably should be the same color, you can do an accent on the adjacent wall that looks like you dishwasher is on, with the cabinets. Then, I think you should bring this same (accent) color onto the wall opposite the wall you are refering to. I think that would look great, and it would make it feel more like that is where your kitchen ends, by your table there. :)
January 21, 2013 at 1:50PM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.