Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen/ backsplash help
Leslie
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The family I'm working with cant decide on a easy to clean backsplash that matches the wallpaper, cabinets and their choice in granite, the only thing I see in similarity in the wallpaper and granite is a small tone of green in the granite. They refuse to change wallpaper, paint or restain the cabinets. Any ideas? I can't think of any good backsplash that is easy to clean(mandatory for the wife) and that brings it all together
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
bhelmore
I think I'd just quit and go home rather than try to work with that wallpaper :-)
January 21, 2013 at 10:49AM     
PRO
MHI Interiors
Wow - you do have a dilemma - too bad they won't change their wall paper. I like glass tile for backsplash. It is very durable and easy clean-up. Olympia - Cristallo Series have some good options.
January 21, 2013 at 11:02AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
First of all Good Luck to you..we have all been in your shoes. I would consider a creamy, very light beige, subway tile layout. Very simple and does not add another pattern, because you have the paper and the granite is busy.
January 21, 2013 at 11:08AM     
lisatarv
I have similar granite, I used a travertine backsplash . The subway tile suggested above would be very nice too,
January 21, 2013 at 11:16AM     
Natalie
Hi---a gradual change---this backsplash I think will steer them in that direction and hopefully you'll be able to remove the paper. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
January 21, 2013 at 11:23AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I also have similar granite with travertine. I love it! But the wallpaper is bad. Can you get them to look at model homes without?
January 21, 2013 at 11:23AM   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree, you dooo have a dilemma. Here's a tile that may work, or variation of this. A slightly taupe green glass tile. Would go well with the style of the paper as well as bring the colours together. Not perfect, but you are very limited. Barbara, I tried the creamy subway tiles and they were all just too creamy so I didn't leave them on. I guess the cream would have to be a really close match to the paper background. Also a consideration would be back painted glass choose a colour right out of the counter that compliments the paper, if that's possible :-)

We wish you good luck.
January 21, 2013 at 11:26AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I certainly would not add another color or busy pattern. The backspash is a long term item..the paper may change eventually.
January 21, 2013 at 11:29AM   
PRO
Also, this could work. Either in back painted glass or glass tiles. Closer to what Barbar suggested
January 21, 2013 at 11:31AM     
PRO
I'm with you Barbara, once they see it all together they may change their minds about the paper and it's better to have something that really works well with the cabinets and the counter. Looks like a busy kitchen from what we can see, better to keep the backsplash simple and neutral.
January 21, 2013 at 11:32AM     
Leslie
Haha she refuses to change the wallpaper because she loves it, and I thought of travertine, but she doesn't like it because its uneven it looks harder to clean, she wants something smooth without too much grout, also thanks for all the good lucks!!
January 21, 2013 at 11:33AM   
PRO
Well then the back painted glass may be the answer, plus give you control over the colour without having to run all around town trying to find the perfect match :-)
January 21, 2013 at 11:35AM     
PRO
"colour" ha ha, can you tell I'm from Canada :-)
January 21, 2013 at 11:37AM     
katesink
I am with Carolyn on this. The back painted glass might be the best option. God speed to you. That wallpaper is hideous.
January 21, 2013 at 11:50AM     
debik54
I have tumbled marble. I sealed it and it's very easy to clean.
January 21, 2013 at 12:31PM