Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
UV protection with Anderson Windows?
busybelt
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just remoded a screen porch into a sun room. We have the Anderson window 300 series. The UV protection factor in these windows is not the strongest that they offer. One notch down which I believe is their standard variety.
I have called Anderson and went to their website, but have yet to determine the "fading factor" for my upholstered furniture. We get reflection of the sun from the side driveway. Also we get sun and reflection from our deck which faces east, on the opposite side. Our sliding door is on the deck side.
My concern is the fading of our furniture. I would like input should anyone know if I need to do some window treatments to protect the furniture? I love it open and bright!
thank you.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bhelmore
You might consider a cornice board attached to the ceiling with a white roman shade "hiding" beneath to use when you need to block the sun.

I love the room just the way it is and would rather let my furniture fade than change it!
4 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 10:55AM
suemyles
Check out HunterDouglas.com The have a beautiful product called "Luminette". It is a sheer, with a fabric vane that can be closed to become a private drape and can also be wide open when the sun is not on that side of the house. Even when the vanes are open to be a sheer curtain, you get 88% UV protection. A full 99% when closed. My favourite product!!
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:11AM
suemyles
I have tried to attach a picture of them. Hopefully it works. If not just go to the site & look under products>product information>sheers
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:14AM
PRO
Walden Design Group - Cynthia Walden
For UV protection while also preserving your view consider solar shades or window film. The solar shades work just like a roller shade. You will want a valance. They come in a wide variety of fabrics. The darker colors (bronze and black) are best for optimizing the view.

Window films such as the ones from 3M adhere to your glass panes. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Sun_Control_Window_Films/

I have clients with both solar shades and window films. All are very satisfied with their choice.
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:43AM
busybelt
Thank you for your feedback. Do window films need to be installed by a professional? Also, part of my question was and I guess I didn't really phased it properly was: Do I need window coverings with an Anderson 300 series window? I understand most people may not know that answer....but I sit for hours on the phone waiting for a response from the company.........From the responses I have received, I am assuming yes I do need some sort of covering to save me furniture.
Would you agree? Thank you again for your reply.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:59AM
PRO
Walden Design Group - Cynthia Walden
I don't have any information on the Anderson 300 series window so will defer to others. All of my clients' window films were installed by professionals.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:32PM
judianna20
I had film professionally installed for some $$$. Did not work.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:49PM
busybelt
thank you everyone; I will be getting window coverings of some sort. I so needed your input to help me go in the right direction.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:42PM
PRO
Betty Ross Decorating
I too had 3m film installed and it didn't work. Also couldn't get back any reimbursement
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 5:44PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You need to find out what the R value of the Andersen 300 windows is...ie it's ability to resistance to heat flow. It should be at least an R value of 5 to 7 to be considered effective I believe. Every window will benefit from lined and interlined drapery covering the glass, and will increase the R value substantially.
There are companies out there doing UV film on windows that does work well. Just do not have the info at my fingertips right now. An outdoor solar shade retractable awning type would help with uv control, without having to cover your windows on the inside.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 7:13PM
PRO
Window Film Depot
There are clear Window Films that allow the light in while providing 99.9% UV rejection. Some work much better than others. However the visible light and solar energy (heat) are also major factors in fading. In fact this is what causes your fading:
UV - 40%
Visible Light - 25%
Heat - 25%
Miscellaneous - 10% (interior lighting, type of fabric or surface etc.)

Window Film can help slow the fading process significantly but not entirely. It is a great option if you want to maintain your view but the expectation needs to be clear. 99% UV rejection does not translate into 99% fade protection. I hope this helps.
4 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:37PM
PRO
plain jane enterprises LLC
So happy to see the photo and suggestion for solar shades. They've become my go to solution to prevent furniture fading, keep the heat out, and still provide some privacy. If you choose a reverse roll, where the roller is on the inside, what you see is the uninterrupted line of the shade. In that case, no header is necessary, unless you like the look. One could be mounted on the top of each of your doors and panels. Rolled up when you don't need them, they almost disappear. Very neat and clean looking. In your case, probably best to go with an off white that matches the paint color.
3 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 1:13PM
feeny
I was happy to see the suggestion for solar shades as well. My sister in law has them in her kitchen and they are great. I've been eyeing them for a wall of windows that only need covering for an hour or two of afternoon glare.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 1:41PM
busybelt
Do you have a suggestion of a good line of solar shades Plain Jane? YOu are thinking exactly what I am as I prefer not to put up any valance if possible. Thank you for your input!!!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 8:28AM
busybelt
Do slated wood blinds keep the fading down?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:29AM
busybelt
Also I have the slider french door as seen in the photo's. Seems to me a roller shade or any shade would be way too long to manuver.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:30AM
rachelaughs
I would go with Hunter Douglas...they are great!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 8:34AM
busybelt
Will they blend into the wood color as suggested by plain jane?
Also I love the photo of the white fire place with black tile on your site, Rachel. Is the tile a solid black? I have beige now and was thinking of changing to black. Do you think black makes a room look busy, as my living room is not as big as the photo. 1940's Georgian style. Appreciate your feedback on the blinds!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:40AM
rachelaughs
I work as an interior designer and we've done many Designer Roller/Screen shades with MOTORIZED lifting function. Especially with this many windows, you won't have to worry about the continuous loop chain getting in the way...it would be really clean looking.

A wall switch and a remote are all available....one touch of a button, they all go up/down. Or it can be programed to your favorite settings.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:41AM
busybelt
Wow. I never knew. Is that all found through hunter douglas. I do have one switch that is available for some kind of electrical function!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:43AM
busybelt
Can you be specific about the best clear window film you suggest? Or the best one or two you know of? My whole first floor needs something.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:48AM
stixsl
I love the open look too. I suggest a cornice that will hide solar shades, OR just have additional UV coating put on your windows.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:52AM
stixsl
I love the open look too. I suggest a cornice that will hide solar shades, OR just have additional UV coating put on your windows.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:53AM
PRO
Impeccable Design & Drapery LLC
I reccomend going with Hunter Douglas Vignette Modern Roman Shades, Designer Screen Shades, or their Nantucket window shades. All 3 of these options roll flawlessly into the head rail cassette. Which is not much larger than a roller shade cassette. They are also available battery operated so you don't have to worry about a wall switch, or having an electrician come out to install a switch. The selection is outstanding as well.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:17AM
rachelaughs
You don't actually need to have an electrical current to the wall switch, as it works with RADIO FREQUENCY. So in essence, it's like a remote control on your wall (just like any other switch).

Hunter Douglas, Graber and Kirsch are the manufacturers that we use, but I'm the most familiar with Hunter Douglas and their motorization.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:19AM
PRO
Here is more Hunter Douglas pictures. You can also go onto their website www.hunterdouglas.com to see more options
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 9:19AM
PRO
I just noticed these are sliding doors. If I am correct, you will want to go with the Luminette's. They are also avalible battery operated.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 9:24AM
PRO
Window Film Depot
3M Prestige 70 is your best option (if you like the light and want it to be as clear as possible)
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 9:25AM
PRO
Window Film Depot
Prestige 70 - Right Panel has no Film
3 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:30AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you ned window coverings, on solar film on the glass. However the warranty will no longer be valid if film is applied to the glass. I dont know of any glass that will keep glare from being noticed from the outside to the indoors
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:38AM
PRO
The resource i use is www.stevesblindsandwallpaper.com. They offer several brands, as well as their own private label, Steve's. The prices can't be beat. I used Steve's solar shades on my own sliders. They look wonderful. My shades are over 6' long and the width of 2 sliders. Raising them is no problem whatsoever. If you choose Steve's, order them with the steel pull chain, and reverse roll, so you don't see the roller. They look neat and no header is necessary. I think they actually look better without a header, less fuss going on. I would mount them close to the top of the window panes, and only a couple of inches wider than the window pane area. I notice that the doors seem to be on hinges, so there's no problem with the mounting. Steve's also comes in several colors, and you can order swatches for free. I've ordered them again and again for clients. They all love them, as well as the price. Take a look at the site.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:40PM
busybelt
My doors are french sliders. So that could be a problem because they are two sliders wide? one huge shade? That is my biggest concern. I love all of you ideas and will check it out. Thank you so much!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 4:10PM
appytrails
My husband and I fell in love with solar shades when we saw them years ago in a restaurant in Maine. They blocked the glare of the sun yet permitted a glorious view of the water.
When we got home, we went to a local drapery/window treatment dealer and had them installed on our bedroom, living room, family room and slider windows. They are available in any size you want. One of our windows is 8 ft across... no problem! No header, not necessary. We had someone from the store come out and measure, then come back and install. That was over 12 years ago (I think) and we still love them. They come in various tints, and we chose several different ones for different rooms.
They are also great for keeping the hot sun out and air conditioning in in the summer. I imagine they would prevent fabric fading if they were always pulled down when the sun was shining... I only use them when there is a glare or want to keep the house cool, so the back of my couch facing the window has faded.
Remote sounds great. I don't think they offered that when we bought ours, although the pull chains still work fine.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 4:11PM
PRO
Sorry. I didn't realize they're sliders. You might consider using 2 shades, mounted on the moulding above the doors. I bet they also make them wide enough to cover all 4 doors. They would do that railroaded. Check it out on the site. they also offer on line chat. (Honestly, I don't work for Steve's. Just love the selection and price.)
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 4:21PM
PRO
A local window treatment & design center will come out and measure & recommend a specific treatment for your decor. They will professionally install them as well. A good company will take into consideration your taste and design dilemmas. Most manufactures require your blinds and window treatments to be professionally installed, or it may void your warranty for the product. I would highly advice not ordering your shades from an Internet site. The service you receive, on top of peace of mind about your warranty, more than compensates any savings from an online store. Additionally you are contributing to your local economy.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 5:27PM
busybelt
I will check it out. Thanks for the wonderful input and tips!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 5:44PM
busybelt
I have one other spot to do and was thinking of wood blinds. a small picture window with a double hung on each side. Any thought on those?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 5:48PM
PRO
Agree with Impeccable Design & Drapery, I cannot stress how important it is to get a professional to measure and specify the product as they will advise on the optimal size and installation site for your windows. It can be a very expensive mistake to order the wrong thing. A window professional will have samples of all the multitude transparencies that solar shades come in and you need to see that first hand.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 6:13PM
Walter Frazier
window film
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:18PM
PRO
You will want sliding solar panels for the slider. A shade will not work there and they cannot be mounted on the doors either. Definitely a professional installation and specification for those.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:18PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Walden has it right ........use solar roller shades
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:36AM
PRO
Budget Blinds
How about woven wood shades and drapes??
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 10:37AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
not very budget directed, but a great idea
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:43AM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
Did you ever consider to put retractable awning on the outside wall? you have such a beautiful view - it is a shame to cover it
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:23PM
busybelt
No I didn't consider that. I would love not to put anything on the sliders. Any resource you suggest? Thank you for another great idea!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:55PM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
I live in Montreal, so i know my suppliers! You can google though the awning manufactures in you area - they are usually very reliable since the product requires an installation as well.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:50PM
PRO
Phantom Screens
Have you considered retractable screens? We offer a wide variety, all of which block UV rays which is what fades furniture and artwork. Plus, you can effectively screen double-French doors, without compromising their look and feel. Check out the Legacy screen: http://bit.ly/Mv1iPS
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:09AM
busybelt
thank you
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 12:47PM
busybelt
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This is what I ended up with for the time being and it appears to be working fine without investing alot of money.I have a wonderful patio umbrella right outside the sliders with a couple of chairs that provide some shade. Then I stopped in at a wrecking company and found the bifold louvered doors to use as a screen. $5. Couldn't go wrong once cleaned up. Looks good and doesn't required any effort.
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need help for non fading exterior colors
I want to paint my house collocated in the Caribbean...
New Roof and Exterior color help.
I am int he process of closing on a new House in the...
What kind of sofa should I pair with this one?
I have this limited edition distressed leather chesterfield...
How should I update this Kitchen??
The decor is from previous owners. What should be the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.