Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with furniture placement & artwork hanging ideas
mcvps
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Have tried furniture many ways- picture window on left with large bookcase to the left of that. What's the best arrangement- it all feels old to me- need a perk up!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Norma Sassone
Can we see the room you are standing in the take the photo? is it your dining room?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:42AM
lscott2013
Your arrangement looks really good, and you have great furniture; I think the carpet is good also. I'd recover all the pillows in a bright, solid color: yellow, green, fuchsia, blue; whatever you like (avoid too much more pattern). I'd go ahead and hang all four pictures above the fireplace: first the large square one, then the rectangle, then the two small ones, one over the other. Consider painting the fireplace brick, or getting it cleaned. Something simple like dirty stone can pull the room down.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 11:50AM
claudiann
Plants and more accent color
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:04PM
PRO
New Again Home Interiors
More views of the room will be helpful
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:06PM
mcvps
Thanks for comments- I'm posting more photos-
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:42PM
mcvps
Here's another photo ...
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:43PM
mcvps
Another of fireplace stacked sate-very 60-70's - but not sure i want to paint it.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:45PM
mcvps
Adjoining dining, family room , kitchen
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:47PM
judianna20
Trim out the fireplace. It may look fine with more wood around it. And be generous. The sofa can't face the fireplace?

Your very large bookcase needs something with which to balance the height on the other side of the front window. Use your pictures to do that and then put a mirror over the fireplace.
Traditional Family Room
Kitchen
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:50PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with judyg. Wall needs balance. Maybe a 3 dimensional chunky and large wall hanging in stone or iron on right side of window?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 3:31PM
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
wow, what LB says. Perfect!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:00PM
bollmansct
You have some great pieces and I love your rug! The large bookcase next to the windows seem to make the window wall "very heavy" and out of balance with the opposite wall, your current sofa wall. I wonder if you might find a better balance by putting the sofa under the window and putting the large, wood glass cabinet (bookcase??) on the wall across from the windows. . Depending on the length of the window wall, this may require moving one of the brown leather chairs to the other side of the sofa, closer to the entry.

I would also consider placing the cabinet/bookcase slightly off center....closer to your entry way. If the space dimensions work, I would then hang your two large art pieces next to the cabinet, one over the other. You could try the two smaller pieces one over the other....but they may be too small next to such a large cabinet.

I like your fireplace stone. I would hang a painting with a splash of bold colors, and make this wall a focal point. The combo of some color on that wall and a sleek, contemporary picture light would really help to light up that wall and pull your eye to that end of the room. Don't underestimate the impact of lighting up your artwork. Here are some examples
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:03PM
mcvps
Thanks for your ideas- sofa was in front of window - I think I'll move glass cabinet to the wall across from windows- I had it there once but that was when piano was in room. I think sofa will go back to the front of window- lol
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:48PM
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
why can't the chairs go in front of the window? I s the room wide enough? Seems like it would keep it more open. And i really like the idea of building up around the fireplace.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:56PM
lwheelock
Can I ask you where you got the rug?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 5:26PM
PRO
KR Home Staging & Design, LLC
Lucky you! You have a fabulous home that just needs a punch of color. I suggest that you select a fabulous accent color such as fuschia, yellow, orange or bright green or coral. Look in magazines or fashion spreads for inspiration on this color.
1. Purchase new accent pillows in this new accent color.
2. Paint your coffee table this same accent color. You can take your pillow in to a paint store and have it color matched.
3. I suggest you paint your fireplace stone white. The wall surrounding the fireplace could be painted the same brown as your area rug. Or, if you feel daring you could find a fabulous wallpaper for this fireplace wall that will go with the area rug.
4. I would move the two arm chairs to the window and place that accent table and lamp in between them.
5. Purchase a large colorful painting that has the colors of your room; brown, white, cream, tan and pops of the accent color and tones of that color. When you first enter this room that fireplace wall is the first thing you see and the focal point. Make it really dramatic!
6. If the bookcase stays in this room, you could consider filling it with large accent pieces, such as vases or colored glass in your vibrant accent color. This bookcase could also be moved into a hallway, dining room or family room. It is a fabulous piece and very versatile.
7. If you like the idea of painting the walls you could also add architectural detail with a white crown molding at the ceiling.

I love your furniture pieces, especially that rug and coffee table. Have fun and please post your room when you are done so we can see your finished results.

Kelley
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:06PM
mcvps
The rug was purchased a few years ago. It's a wool broadloom that I had cut and bound to size. You can probably find it at better wall to wall carpet/flooring stores.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:19PM
PRO
LB Interiors
From what I can see, and assume, you have the basics in furniture options. Great carpet choice. I'm assuming there is no TV in this room. Room needs color unless you want a neutral palette. If neutral, you would need lots of textures and varying shades of color for interest.

I think you should try moving the 2 brown chairs in front of the picture window and put the lamp and lamp table between them. I love the lamp table but the scale of it, is too high. Maybe replace with a new one that is nearer the height of the arms of the brown chairs. Maybe you could get a rectangle or oval size if the space allows. Could have a glass top with iron frame. Lamp table should be placed opposite the center of the sofa.

Brown chair option 2 - Same placement of brown chairs, but bring in closer to the coffee table. If there is enough pathway behind them, place a console table at the window with a sculpture or large vase or groups of vases. Leave a pathway space.

Purchase 2 identical units for the left & right sides of the fireplace. Could have glass or solid doors, or open shelving. It does not have to be made of the same material or style, but MUST be SAME SIZE and close in COLOR as your existing bookcase. Place the existing lamp table in a corner somewhere in the home with a large vase and floral or branches with color in the arrangement. The chair at lower left of photo may be able to go in place of the brown chair on the right in the photo. If 2 chairs place in front of the fireplace or 2 chairs at other side of coffee table.

Cart - on right side of fireplace looks misplaced. Place objects on the cart on new bookcase shelves.

Color - recover the 2 solid pillows with blue/bluegreen of table top. Or, replace either stripe or patterned pillows with bright patterned ( large print ) or solid pillows & using those as your jumping off point for choosing accent colors in the room. Does not have to be exact color.

Artwork - Re-paint the artwork frames in a couple of bright colors. Maybe add some warm brights in the mix for frames & accessories with options of teal, blues, red or burgundy, orange, rust, or bronze tones. Choose a couple. Must have some special accessories in any design plan with color, mix & match. Group all 4 art pieces together over the sofa. Purchase 2 same size co-coordinating artworks with choice of colors for above fireplace, placing within the width of the mantle or add a mirror. Place colorful objects on the mantle ledge. Not too many.

Fireplace - Love the stone, but maybe brighten the fireplace screen by spray painting a bright color to contemporize the room and add to the overall modern feel that you seem to be looking for. Hope this helps!

0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:17PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm sorry, I deleteted the above posting from an earlier time & reposted with the above photo. Not sure how to use this site yet. Can someone help me understand?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:22PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Change out the coffee table and the side tables to something younger, more youthful. Like a bright white side table - chunky almost whimsical. Add a bit of sparkle with an antique gold coffee table - it'll add that old world chic look your after. Tie it all in with some gold throw cushions - soften more with chocolate brown cushions as well, dress the coffee table with some chrome, cream, gold accents - gorgeous!
3 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:10AM
mcvps
Thanks for all the ideas.. Funny the room was a citrus green and we just painted it creamy.
Since moving piano out the furniture arrangement has me in a bind. Would love to add wood to fireplace and built ins on either side... Just not in the budget now.
I might take recommendation and paint fireplace wall an accent color and my artwork would pop more.
Will post when I'm done, hopefully in the next day or so.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:29PM
PRO
MDana Design LLC
I think it's true that this room needs some interesting accessories to look more modern. You could pick one accent color such as orange or green and bring it in through accessories and small items, such as pillows, a suculptures, etc.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:43PM
PRO
MDana Design LLC
Just as an inexpensive example...
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:49PM
bygeorgi
I know just the perk.... your dining room looks so hip and modern so those brown leather chairs and very large wood cabinet need to go ... replace the chairs with two more mid century style in a fun color maybe closer to the coffee table or a chartruesy green and change out the sofa pillows to a something graphic. Place the sofa in front of the window and a credenza with a couple cute lamps and art on the wall where the sofa was. Have you considered a grey and yellow color scheme? I would just clean the fireplace stone. The addition of a pop of color would go a long way....I love that rug!!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:56PM