Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom Wall Color Help!
Elisa
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I can't pick a color for this bathroom! Anything I try looks wrong. :(
The bathroom has beige tiles and the accent piece has beige and copper and brown tones, some taupe maybe too.
I though about staying on the same color scheme, but everybody in the family says no. Too beige box of a bathroom. So these last three colors I tried were all denied. :( I am thinking about trying green next. What do you guys think? Can you help me with visuals too? What color goes with beige and nutmeg (the vanity)?
Thanks,
Elisa
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
What about a warm gray-beige, like Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter...it'll help keep the contemporary, updated look going.
January 21, 2013 at 11:41AM     
AMN
Not 100% sure, but I think you would have a better time deciding if you pull the shower curtain away from the swatches. It appears peachy, compared to the tile and the paint. I think one of the colors you put up will work just fine (I like the lighter two best).

BTW: I think a fresh, crisp, white waffle texture shower curtain would be a great addition to your already great-looking bathroom. Best wishes.
January 21, 2013 at 11:44AM     
anitajoyce
A sage green may work. I like the tan color that you have on the wall also, but everbody said no.
January 21, 2013 at 11:52AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the top one it goes well with the tile. It will give it a spa like feel.
January 21, 2013 at 11:55AM     
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
A solution I've used in the past when the color is tricky is to use multiple shades of your colors and paint stripes. No one color will make a statement but the various tones will pick up the other colors in the room...cream, bronze, tan. Stripes should be fairly narrow - no more than 1.5" wide. PIA to paint, I know but it's worth it.
January 21, 2013 at 12:08PM     
jansseninteriors
I would take the shower curtain to the paint store and have the computer match that color.
January 21, 2013 at 12:13PM     
alissatanaka
What about a darker, cool, taupe/(grey?) Maybe that would be the neutral background color that will enhance all your details, rather than try to match it? Start with the darker colors in your tile trim and try to find something coordinating. Maybe it's the warm tones of your (beautiful) color choices that is what's not feeling right?
see Behr colors bamboo, craft brown, rocky ridge, twig basket, or even a darker tone?
January 21, 2013 at 12:24PM     
rawketgrl
I would go with warm white. Like one of these: Du Jour by Valspar, Linen white by Benjamin Moore, Dover white by Sherwin Williams. Or even Pointing by Farrow and Ball. Then get the white waffle texture shower curtain (like AMN suggested) and that already pretty bath will make everyone happy!
January 21, 2013 at 12:42PM     
PRO
JLF & Associates, Inc.
Elisa I would suggest a Neutral Grey or linen white. You have enough going on with the other colors. Let them stand alone. Best of luck. Upload the finished product!!!
January 21, 2013 at 12:43PM     
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
You're onto something with the top color. If you go with a contrasting color like green, it will just chop up the space & make it look smaller. So match your field tile best you can, & go for a white shower curtain. Also seriously consider painting the ceiling a tint of the wall color to pull it all together. The electrical outlet is in an unfortunate place...if that can be moved down & to the left, (close to the mirror) that will allow you space to put a cool dimensional & textural wall piece that will be your wow factor. (Round)
January 21, 2013 at 12:49PM     
PRO
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I am all about the contrast! I think adding a color like Sherwin Williams' Agreeable Gray 7029 will help keep it in a natural soft pallet. The Gray-beige will update your bathroom to a current feel! See Picture attached! Enjoy painting!

Here is an example I found for you on Houzz.
Their fireplace has a same feel as your tile work.

January 21, 2013 at 2:18PM     
movethisnotthat
the idea of white on top is refreshing along with a new white shower curtain. If you want you use 2 paints the same "white" one stripe in eggshell finish and the other in satin or glossy finish. It will give the room a classy look and very subtle. A horizontal would be unexpected FUN !! You have alot of color going on in there,keep it simpler and you'll have a spa look. White towels, white bath rug. etc.
January 21, 2013 at 2:30PM     
cheeselady
Our bathroom tile is very close to what you have and we are in the process of painting the house in Benjamin Moore Baby Fawn. It's a very interesting color it can look gray or beige. Maybe it would work for you.
January 21, 2013 at 2:36PM   
Jayme H.
The lightest one/or a greyish color.
January 21, 2013 at 2:37PM     
bollmansct
What are the dark colors in the border tiles? I like the idea of a pulling out the darker colors in the tile mosaic. Perhaps as mentioned by others, gray or taupe on top. Especially since it looks ilke you have brushed nickel faucets and soap dish. I would try to highlight the gray tones and stay away from the copper or beige colors as they could bring in a reddish or peachy tone.
January 21, 2013 at 2:48PM     
alohalorilynn
Top right
January 21, 2013 at 4:01PM     
kgonz1115
http://www.google.com/search?q=brown&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=I-T9UM2nBMuiqQHPuIHgCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356#i=14
I think this color works perfect because of the darker colored tiles you have blended in with the other tiles
January 21, 2013 at 5:00PM     
kgonz1115
Sry I meant this color
January 21, 2013 at 5:01PM     
lscott2013
It might help if you decide what you like and go with it. If you let people veto your color choices, the room you end up with will be one that they like, but it may not reflect what you like (light walls vs dark walls, neutral vs jazzy, contrasting vs blending. Let them pick the colors for their own house.
January 21, 2013 at 5:20PM     
PRO
KR Home Staging & Design, LLC
Elisa~ I suggest a rich warm brown that is picked up from the dark brown in the mosaic border you have. Take some of the tile with you to a high end paint store such as Benjamin Moore, and they can match the dark brown. Adding this warm brown tone will enhance the rich wood tone in the sink cabinet and look fantastic. It is a great room.. Good Luck!
January 21, 2013 at 5:25PM     
mo135
I'd definitely go with a moss color green. Striking yet complimentary. The nutmeg of the vanity accented into a wall color I think works also.
January 21, 2013 at 5:52PM     
A Copeland
I have a most incredible color that I used not only in my bedroom, but also in my place of business... And I cannot tell you how many compliments I have received.. It is from Lowes or Home Deot and It is called Porcini. It is a warm grey-taupe that is to die for and would go perfectly with your bathroom.
January 21, 2013 at 6:36PM     
judianna20
Bring the wall tile color all the way to the ceiling and then paint the ceiling a great color to match a shower curtain. How about a more interesting mirror?
Summit Signature Homes, Inc.
Butterfly Shower Curtain
January 21, 2013 at 6:41PM     
heytray1
Agree with BM linen white or go for a green like BM olive branch
January 21, 2013 at 6:42PM   
jansseninteriors
Wow, so many different opinions. The original post stated that the family didn't like any of the three samples painted on the wall, and I assume didn't like the original color behind the samples. Looking at your photo over the Internet and through individual computer monitors NOBODY can choose an exact color (named paint) for you.

The shower curtain is new, still has creases in it from the package. (It should be ironed.) The original post did NOT say that the family didn't like the shower curtain color. I'll bet you can get towels to match that curtain too (same store, same brand). The mixed mosaic should be the "stripe", and I wouldn't paint more stripes in any direction. The field tile below the stripe is two different colors (wouldn't be good for computer match color), and reads as a color similar to the shower curtain (not an exact match). The shower curtain color WORKS next to the tile. They compliment each-other, and blend.

You can search for a color forever, or you can just allow the computer in ANY paint store or Wal-Mart or Home Depot to match the curtain (for free) and be done. It will all blend together, the new shower curtain WILL be the perfect shade with the paint, and there will be one less color in the whole mix.

I would paint the new (neutral) shade on all walls and ceiling (less than one gallon). Your brown tile would look good with just about any color, but buying the towels to match the curtain, and buying the paint to match the curtain (or the towels) keeps it simple and neutral, and it will absolutely work and look right. You can choose an accent color for a piece of art on the wall, which should not be in any shade of brown.
January 21, 2013 at 6:51PM     
Elisa
You guys are so great!

@mmilos: I didn't think about the Revere Pewter, but you know what? I still have it in a sample, and I will give it a try. Thanks!

@AMN: Thanks for the shower curtain suggestion. I just bought this one just to have one up until I find the "right" one. Your idea sounds good. I'll keep it in mind when I look for the curtain.

@anitajoyce: I like the beige too! I am starting to think I might still go beige no matter what "they" say. :)

@Interior International, Inc: That's the feel I was going for, spa like. I might stick with it. And you guys are making me see that I wasn't the crazy one for wanting more beige.

@PH Interiors: Oh My! Stripes? Even with the little squares of the accent piece? It must be a pain to paint, though, and I am doing all the painting in the house...

@jansseninteriors: Thanks for the idea, but that for that I'll go with the beiges.

@alissatanaka: After reading these comments, I have to try the grey. A cool color you say. I think I have some samples (I have sooo many samples). Thanks.

@rawketgrl: The white is one of the top choices here. My husbands wants it. My aunt even suggested a "pearly" white, which I am not sure it will work, nor what it is, a metallic? The waffle shower curtain is starting to really sink in the shopping list. Thanks.

@JLF & Associates: Thanks, I think white is the safest choice and probably one of the top three. I will definitely have the after picture, hopefully soon... still waiting on some tiles...

@OasisDesign&Remodeling: Thanks for the tips! As for the area on top of the toilet I need to put the towel rack there. :( No other place, it's a pretty small bathroom.

@Kevin Wild: I see it. Thanks for the picture, it always helps me more when I can see it. I guess I have bad imagination... Do you have a color for Benjamin Moore, as I am painting the whole house with it? Thanks.

@movethisnotthat: Stripes sound interesting, but it will be too much work, and I might not do it right. But I will stick with the whites all around. Thanks. :)

@cheeselady: Thanks! I will definitely look for it. Baby Fawn. I think it seems gray beige is the way to go (or white)

@Jayme Hobbs: Yes, that's what it's looking like. Thanks.

@bollmansct: You make an excellent point. I can't wait to see some of my grey samples on these walls. Thanks!

@alohalorilynn: Thanks for your vote. :)

@kgongz1115: Thanks, but while I like that color, I worry it might make the bathroom look very small.

@jblake3: Another vote for beige, spa like. I like it. Thanks.

@lscott2013: I know, and I am getting to that point of just doing my thing. The problem is I am not "great" with colors, so I do question my judgement at times. Thanks for the advice.

@KR Home Staging: Thank you for the nice words. The color on the bottom was picked like that, I did take the accent piece to BM and the man picked a coppery color, not really a brown. But I worry brown could be too dark.

@mo135: I was thinking moss too, but I need to see it on the wall. I have more samples I will try out, and maybe publish updated pictures for all to see. Thanks.

@A Copeland: Isn't it great when we find the "right" color? Porcini. I will remember it and look at it next time I'm at HD or Lowe's (I'm there all the time lately) Thanks

@judyg: Nooo. Don't say that about the mirror! I have had such a hard time deciding on one... It was hard but I picked the safe choice. But we like it. It has lots of storage that we're missing from the vanity (small bathroom). The other mirror I liked was from HD (we've been doing the whole house on a budget), with brushed nickel frame but it was sold out for the longest time so I picked this one from Kohler. Thanks for your advice.

@heytray1: Thanks for the color names, it helps!

@jansseninteriors: You just loved my shower curtain! :) I honestly picked it up in a hurry because we had to move in and be able to shower. I will take a closer look at it tomorrow, because you might be seeing it different on your monitor. I will put it up against the wall and see how it looks. Thanks again!

Thanks again everybody, you give me so much food for thought, and that's how I like it! :)

I will be back soon,
Elisa
January 21, 2013 at 7:30PM     
andreakean1
Light steel blue
January 21, 2013 at 8:27PM   
Natalie
Hi---SW 7018 Dovetail by Sherwin Williams... Perfect for your walls... Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
January 21, 2013 at 8:49PM     
PRO
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
@Elisa - your best bet for an exact match is to take a paint chip from Sherwin Williams to Benjamin Moore and have them match. If not, a close color would be Revere Pewter or Thunder.
January 21, 2013 at 9:19PM     
springchicken41
I can't tell if the mirror is attached to a medicine cabinet or a stand-alone. If it's just a mirror, consider a frame in a dark wood color. You might put a small shelf under the outlet just big enough for charging tooth brush or razor. A glass one would probably do best. Paint color in a cream or ivory and I like the dover white by Sherwin Williams, too. A shower curtain in white or off white. I love the tile and the cabinet. I'm redoing a bathroom and it's so much easier for me to see what yours needs than my own.
January 21, 2013 at 9:36PM   
Take out everything that is removable - shower curtain, towel, etc. Then paint a bigger swatch with the colors that you like. look at them in different light and go with your feelings. Its only paint.
January 21, 2013 at 9:37PM     
lynnette04
I have a small bathroom, like this appears to be also. My floor tiles are the same shade as your wall tiles. Three walls are a chocolate brown and one wall is a turquoise. They go very well together and, somehow, the darker/brighter colors made it seem bigger.
January 21, 2013 at 9:40PM   
brensters
It really only takes one good accent piece to pull in the chosen colour and make it work, such as flowers in vase on top of the toilet or a piece of pottery such as a pitcher. I would go with a light colour in a greyish-green or greyish-blue range, but very muted because your putting it up against the most muted of colours. Not an easy task, but if you go with a cooler muted colour you'll be able to freshen it up, avoid the monochromatic beige/brown look, and pull it off beautifully. Hope this helps. :)
January 21, 2013 at 10:02PM   
Holly Mayeux
I like the color to the right. It is the medium I believe of your tile and tile trim colors... I would switch out the shower curtain to a rich fabric that incorporates all of the tile trim colors, and also closer to the floor. A small bathroom that feels rich doesn't need to be made to look bigger. You could also create a HUGE impact by replacing your mirror with a framed mirror complementing the hardware and sink fixtures (think of a mirror in a decorative picture frame). I'm thinking they are a brushed steel? Right now I see the mirror adding function but not personality or style and you could take full advantage of that for very little money :) My only other thought is to think about changing the existing light fixture although your's is not pictured so I can't tell if that would make a difference...
January 21, 2013 at 10:09PM   
PRO
Pamela Tripas
Please remember whatever color you choose, it will reflect on the skin. If you use green or brown, your skin reflect those colors. I learned this the hard way. Using a gray with pink undertones seems to be the most natural. Otherwise I would stick with Creams. Take your room lighting into consideration.
January 21, 2013 at 10:14PM     
PRO
Pamela Tripas
Please remember whatever color you choose, it will reflect on the skin. If you use green or brown, your skin reflect those colors. I learned this the hard way. Using a gray with pink undertones seems to be the most natural. Otherwise I would stick with Creams. Take your room lighting into consideration.
January 21, 2013 at 10:15PM   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Goodness Gracious - really? Green paint affecting skin tones - green as a colour is most used in art studios for having the ability to read all other colours more honestly. Otherwise, soft white is the best paint - which is boring. It is the lighting that needs to be addressed in bathrooms to render best possible light. Be sure you are using a halogen or high CRI rated bulb.

In your case, I don't think either is best (green or cream) - you need to reflect the undertone of either your flooring or your accent tile.

I'd sure like to see a close up of your accent tiles Elisa, look for the unexpected colour in those tiles (or your flooring), then try that tone on the wall.

If you still can't get it right, hire a professional to come out and find that perfect colour for you. Good Luck!
January 22, 2013 at 12:00AM   
onthefence
Yep, I believe it's true about green paint in a powder room Marie. While green is often used in art studios (and other applications), it isn't particularly flattering to skin tones.

I do agree that there has to be a good color somewhere in that beautiful accent tile!
January 22, 2013 at 12:12AM     
onthefence
Another thought - have you looked at any of the Full Spectrum paints by Ellen Kennon or Benjamin Moore? That may give the wall some life and keep it from being a beige box.
January 22, 2013 at 12:43AM   
hparks74
Go to your local store and look at there color wheel. Find the color of your wall tile and find the color that is directly opposite of that color. Without looking at it myself, I think Home Depots, Martha Stewart brand in kalamata olive would be wow!
January 22, 2013 at 12:58AM   
PRO
Color Zen
I would keep the paint color really light and simple, truthfully a nice warm white would probably look best. A heavy paint color will really drag the room down. But... I think a fun contemporary shower curtain like this one from Kohl's could add the young, fun element. I wouldn't add the rest of the accessories, too much. The curtain and maybe one small accent somewhere. Good luck!
January 22, 2013 at 8:06AM   
kperlot
A beautiful bathroom!

Unless this is your powder room, I would stay away from dark colors.

Consider having a color consultation with an interior designer or color specialist (your Ben Moore dealer either has one or can recommend one). The consultation will easily pay for itself by avoiding more paint samples.

I've painted three entire houses myself (you go girl!!!) -- had an interior designer help me all three times. There was only one color screw up (dark red in the dining area - great for a formal dining room, but stole every bit of light from a full time dining area). It was worth every penny -- my houses all flowed together nicely and she's become a good friend, too.

Best wishes!
January 22, 2013 at 8:43AM     
PRO
The Tile Market
i would complement the sink make the wall have a modern wood look or back splash ..... the tile market man issic
January 22, 2013 at 10:28AM   
linda1911
I think a pale teal would be compatiable without being too bold a contrast.
January 22, 2013 at 10:56AM   
Elisa
Wow, so many more comments! I just love you people! Btw, I've already gently mentioned to the hubby I think I want to change the mirror... your comments helped me see that it's really not the right look for the bathroom and after all the work we've put in, it's stupid not to go all the way and get the right mirror. I would like to move the outlet as well, but I don't think we can do that easily. Oh well.

@andreakean1: light steel blue? Oh my. I don't know about that...

@Natalie: Hi! A lot of people are saying grey. Yours looks a bit too dark maybe? Thanks!

@Kevin Wild: Thanks! I will try the Revere Pewter first, probably later this afternoon, when I get around to it.

@springchicken41: the mirror is a medicine cabinet, and it's wall mounted so it sticks out a bit and now it's annoying me. Thanks for all your good tips!

@3451326: You're right. It's only paint. I will try bigger swatches on the next round. :)

@lynette04: You are so much braver than me. I couldn't do that. I am so traditional and safe sometimes it bothers me, because I am not that old! he he. And I'm sure your bathroom looks beautiful!

@brenster: thanks! Flowers in the bathroom would help. Maybe fake ones?

@Holly Mayeux: I know, the curtain is high because we still need to put more tiles and then finally find the right spot for the curtain rod. I read your comment last night and it sunk in about the mirror. I will replace it. I like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Framed-Medicine-Cabinet-Frame-Finish/dp/B0057ZWJG6

and after all your comments I see this was the one I should have bought in the first place. The vanity lights are not in place yet. Thanks!

@Pamela Tripas: thanks, I didn't know this.

@Marie Hebson: thanks for all the tips. I'll see if I can post a picture of the accent tile below.

@onthefence: I will have a pic up soon. And I didn't know about the full spectrum colors, thanks I will look into that too.

@hparks74: You make it sound so easy! :) I have some olive greens in my samples that I will try soon. Thanks.

@Color Zen: That curtain is pretty. And the white suggestion is right, too. Thanks. We'll see what happens.

@kperlot: Thanks! This is our ONLY bathroom right now. We are planning on adding another one down the road. I've already spent enough on paint samples that I don't have the budget for a color consultant! hehe in any case, I have you guys, and I like hearing different opinions and then make my own choice, instead of paying ONE person that might have completely different tastes from me. No, YOU GO GIRL, for painting 3 houses! I'm not done with this one, and I don't think I EVER want to paint a whole other house again. A room here and there, sure. A whole house, nope! I still have trims and doors to do... it never ends. But I'm not complaining, I'm happy we have our house and changing it to make it more ours.

@The Tile Market: I don't think wood works in this bathroom. Backsplash, too much money. It has to be painted, but thanks anyway. :)

@linda1911: I will try some greens later today, dark ones and lighter ones and post pictures. Thanks.

Let me attach the accent piece pic...
January 22, 2013 at 11:24AM   
jschultz2809
Elisa... My first question is what color are your fixtures? The sink looks white the stool looks almond and the tub looks almost grey. We are in the process of redoing our bathroom as well. We have Praline shower walls and the shower pan is called outback... kind or a rust color. Our sinks will be of the same color. We decided on a Golden color for most of the walls and the contrasting color of a very deep Burgundy for one wall. I was a little worried about going with color... rich color, but it looks great. Dont me afraid to use colors. If you have one of the tiles from the wall, I would take it with to the store and move it along the paint chip display and grab one of everycolor that matches. Bring those home and see what goes with the trim. If you don't have a tile... just go and get some sample chips in colors you like and bring them home. Don't worry about the shower curtain and it's color....you can always match that up later. Remember if you use a soft gloss, semi gloss or gloss paint, you will get more light refraction. Also don't decide on a color in the store.. your lighting at home is different.
January 22, 2013 at 11:39AM     
PRO
KN Interiors
Hi Elisa - Your bathroom is the perfect candidate for some delicious drama! Match the darkest color from your accent tile, or try a rich grayish-chocolate. I'm betting that Benjamin Moore's Rustic Taupe (999), or Whitall Brown (HC-69) would be amazing! You have lots of light colors in your fixtures, tile, and floor, so don't worry about the room getting too dark. Be bold - you'll love it!
January 22, 2013 at 11:48AM     
merngirl
I would go for an earth-sky effect, meaning I would choose a light shade of blue, preferably going toward blue/green. I would also keep it toned down with a matte finish. I would also use a predominantly white shower curtain, but in a natural fiber like cotton that doesn't reflect light. My last suggestion is to use a shelving unit on the wall to help disguise the electrical outlet.
January 22, 2013 at 12:28PM     
onthefence
Oh my that accent tile is BEAUTIFUL! I know that monitors, lighting etc can be deceiving - but I see a very pale gray with a pink undertone in both the wall tile and the accent tile. If you have spare pieces of each tile, I'd head to the paint store and try to hit something in that range.
January 22, 2013 at 12:34PM   
Susanna
Hello everyone! I have to weigh in on the green, Marie. Not to be critical but hopefully helpful.
I am a professionaI artist with a 4-year degree and also an art professor at a university. I have taught color theory (among other things) to art and interior design students as well as Hallmark employees in a continuing education program for their artists. I only mention my background as an explanation that in all of this, I have never heard of green being used in art studios "as a color with the ability to read all other colors more honestly ". That doesn't mean that someone isn't doing that. We artists are creative! I don't doubt that you heard that somewhere. A fellow artist once told me his success had to do with never painting in oils on Tuesdays. Aren't we a funny, superstitious bunch?!

Pamela is correct, though. Green in a small space will affect skin tone negatively (Peachy pink or baby pink will do the opposite- Everyone suddenly looks fabulous although not suggesting it here. Good color for a dining room). Green, in terms of flesh, is the worst. Since the early Master artists, green and red have been used as underpainting (painted under the flesh tone in an oil painting, green creates dark shadows in the face. Red is the life tone. It's called Verdaccio technique.) This will happen with your face when you look in a mirror in a small green bathroom. Gosh, you think, I look tired or ill...

So..... I vote we follow the color advice of Kevin Wild. He seems to have a great eye for color. Why can't you go to a Sherwin Williams store? Did I miss something? I have never had luck with those color match machines they use to adapt one company paint to another. Something is always lost in the translation. I hope you don't choose white. I won't bore you any longer with the reasons why. Love the mixed brown tile in your bathroom and hope this was helpful. Good luck!
January 22, 2013 at 1:39PM     
kimdee24
Elisa,
I just wanted to share a tip with you about color swatches when you're trying to decide -- rather than painting the wall -- what I do is paint up a large sheet of foam core board (you can buy it at Staples) with the color I'm considering. It's larger, I can move it around the room and see how the light changes the color from wall to wall, and I find it gives me a better sense of what it will look like.

Plus... then I don't have to cover over my test spots on the wall when I decide!

Good luck with your bathroom -- I know it will look great when you make your final decisions!
January 22, 2013 at 1:51PM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
To Susanna Artistea,
I am an expert in colour with two degrees and an interior designer who specializes in reflected ceiling plans.
As well not to argue, but to prove my point. I disagree with you Susanna.

Taken directly from the text books on how we perceive colour:
The tones reflected are directly related to light quality.
Newton observed that color is not inherent in objects.
Rather, the surface of an object reflects some
colors and absorbs all the others.
We perceive only the reflected colors.

Green is the colour of balance and harmony. Is known as a relaxing colour, helps revitalize and energize in brighter tones - earthy, muddy tones of green have been known in the design profession to be excellent for graphic design studios mixed with proper natural and/or halogen light to best reflect true colour. Green helps the trained eye get a true read of all colours and/or objects involved. This is a proven fact in professional graphic design art studios I've worked in my entire life - the walls and/or floors were always a muddy warm green. Most graphic design studios, at least the good ones, where printed materials are crucial in getting the colour to very critical required specifications, always require a certain percentage of muddy green.

As an artistic interpretation in what you do - probably not - in RGB, CMYK and Pantone specifications - very much so.

Inherently, we tend to want to stick with same old perceptions and observations with out updating our knowledge of the new and scientifically proven. I am saying this is true, I would hope you respect my professional opinion as I do yours,
January 22, 2013 at 2:22PM     
PRO
Leaf Design Studio
I think a light green/sage color would be awesome!
January 22, 2013 at 2:26PM   
zlaronde
I think the one above the switch will work well for this small bathroom because it is a close match to the bottom half of the wall. It will pull it together. The warm colour will give skin a more natural pleasant look too, when looking in the mirror.
January 22, 2013 at 3:16PM   
wellsprungalice
We have a default colour that we use for all awkward spaces. Our house rule is, keep it plain, keep it light and accessorise. Sometimes it's a whole lot easier to put the colour in the accessories than on the walls. We like Dulux Natural Calico for just about everything. Never found anything it clashes with, and it's warmer than white.
January 22, 2013 at 3:31PM     
PRO
Irisheyes Home Improvement
Luster stone finish in brown suede. Put on walls and ceiling. It has a metallic finish. Brings out the rusty wood of the vanity. Add pop of color with towels, shower curtain . . .
January 22, 2013 at 4:23PM     
Susanna
Hi Marie and Elisa,
Marie : Sorry if you felt somehow disrespected or your opinion threatened. I just disagree with you. It would be impossible for me to teach graphic design if I did not have an in-depth understanding of all the items you listed and quoted. if I were not up-to-date and still "sticking to old perceptions and observations" I would not last a New York minute, especially on the college level. I referenced what I felt applicable to Pamela's comments. Let's just agree to disagree and end our discussion for Elisa's sake. She's just trying to paint a bathroom.
Elisa: As you can see, color, like art, is very subjective. You will get many different suggestions and opposing opinions. The best tool that you, or anyone, has to sift out the right answer is your heart. It will not betray you.
January 22, 2013 at 6:04PM     
Natalie
Thanks for the pic of your accent tile... Yes---still sticking with Dovetail for the walls... :) http://www.susiej.com/picking-a-color-scheme/[h[houzz=
]ouzz=][houzz=][
January 22, 2013 at 7:19PM     
Elisa
I tried the green samples I had, and the revere pewter... I don't like any of them. I'm thinking greens are out. My mind is working overtime, but I think I'm getting somewhere. Thanks again to onthefence for mentioning full spectrum colors, I went researching them and it looks like something I could use.

I think I should go for a lighter color, but with some dimension to it. Maybe my aunt was onto something with her pearl white suggestion. Maybe I could do some sponging on the wall with two different colors? I feel that more than anywhere else in the house, this bathroom wall needs some extra light to it, some sheen, some reflection. I guess it's the jewel tones from the accent piece that make me feel the room needs to sparkle.

Another night to sleep on it. After reading all of you first, of course! Thanks a million again.
January 22, 2013 at 7:53PM   
Cindy
I think a warm color like Cinnamon or a chocolate brown would make the tile and border really pop!
January 22, 2013 at 8:09PM     
hparks74
Actually Kalamata olive is almost a deep eggplant with a brown undertone so the purple is less noticeable. I am actually getting ready to paint the exterior of my house this color... And yes I'm painting over my brick. :)
January 22, 2013 at 8:37PM   
wendy6614
Hey mix the brown with some sea colors light ing. The browns sand and sea a lite green for relaxing
January 22, 2013 at 8:38PM   
hparks74
Ya know have you concidered that its the vanity color that is creating this paint problem? I wonder had you went with the chocolate vanity which would pull the chocolate out of the tile even more. We all see the burnt sienna in the the tile but its a tone rather than a contrast like the chocolate. maybe you could restrain the vanity which would open a wider pallet. You have 3 colors in a small space and they are competing with each other. IMHO:)
January 22, 2013 at 8:46PM   
mveasey
After all these comments, I just had to comment as well.
Go with the showercurtain colour idea. It looks very pleasant. You could try a different sheen in the paint, so that it gives you some interest and nuance in effect if that is an option in bathroom paints.
Perhaps some white or deep chocolate brown fluffy towels would soften the space and give you that spa effect.
Yes, if all fails you could paint the vanity a darker wooden colour to bring out the mosaics more.
Good luck - hope your family likes the ideas.
January 22, 2013 at 9:02PM     
lewisruth
I work as a paint tech in a "big box store" and I have to say I see this sort of thing all the time. I agree with the comments made about taking the shower curtain away from the situation - you can always change it if it doesn't end up going with the color that you choose for the wall. I don't usually like to choose a specific color for my clients since my tastes may not be in line with their tastes. Still in this case, I think a pale green or gray that matches the veining in the larger wall tile would be a nice change from the usual beige-type choices. If you stay with a warmer colors (yellow based, not blue based) then the color will "blend" well with the accent tile you have closest to the painted area of the wall. Your vanity is lovely - don't change it. The wood will go well with whatever ends up on your wall. Have a little faith in your own tastes! There are no "painting police" that will come and arrest you if you do something different that what others feel is correct! Good luck!
January 22, 2013 at 9:03PM     
kathleen MK
You have the blessing and curse of tile that goes with lots of colors. As another art teacher I'd say most of your samples would "work" just choose what your like. I don't like the cool grey on the left and think this grey fad will fade. My favorite was the top color in the first photo.With a light warm neutral background you can change accent color as quick as a trip to Anna'sLinens. Sage or teal towels one day and plum or burgundy the next. Go with your gut.
January 22, 2013 at 9:10PM   
lillyan2
celedon green or slate blue are great with the colors u have used
January 22, 2013 at 9:34PM   
onthefence
My fingers are crossed that something in the full spectrum works for you Elisa. I do agree with you about needing something with dimension. Your aunt's idea of the pearl white is interesting too. Your suggestion of sponge painting also made me think of some of the paint techniques using 2 different shades/sheens with different applicators. I've never done it but what I've seen is really pretty.

It looks like you've tried a lot of colors that are close but they just seem to need a bit more oomph. I think what you said about light, sheen and dimension are spot on.

I think you're getting closer here!
January 22, 2013 at 11:05PM   
silvevans
I'd loose the 'tan' colour of the sink surround unless you love it. I think that's what is throwing you.
Sand it down and paint that a white or stone or nearly black and then paint the walls a lighter shade of that. Good luck.
January 23, 2013 at 3:14AM     
busu
I say go with the top neutral and change the shower curtain to pick up the cool greens and nutmeg. A mirror with metallic frame would pull it all together.
January 23, 2013 at 3:48AM   
dunberry
Dark color like the brown really would look great ,nice bold fun shower curtain that pulls all the msaic pieces into it.and paint the vanity doesn't work. Good Luck
January 23, 2013 at 3:51AM   
rubykritz
I agree with the grey/taupe suggestions. the other colors you tried are too blase--
January 23, 2013 at 4:02AM   
jeniecegoellner
You might want to try and go to a brighter color. Dare I say Orange. You would have to find the right shade, but and orange brown might pop against to beige and taupe of the other part of the wall. Then accent with crisp whites in linnens.
January 23, 2013 at 4:59AM   
zlaronde
Have you picked a theme that you would like for your bathroom? If it is a spa theme that you would like, here is one that would work for your bathroom. It has a similar colour vanity and walls and the frame around the mirror is similar to your tile border. Consider accessories in turquoise and chocolate brown. Shower curtain with brown swirls, something to contrast the block of the tile border.
January 23, 2013 at 5:29AM     
nononanna
Beiges and peaches are insipid here - go with something really dark
January 23, 2013 at 5:43AM   
sallycashin
A great room for bathroom is BM "Bably Turtle" It would look great with your tile color. I painted our bathroom that color
January 23, 2013 at 5:51AM   
Luxmi Nambiar
You can even try wall paper in lines of beige colour. Instead of the shower curtain have a glass cubicle.
January 23, 2013 at 6:25AM   
bjnewcolor1
Benjamin Moore's Aura Marscapone is what you need. It is a warm white which will make a great backdrop for grooming and won't give a gloomy shadow to your skin in the a.m. Bonnie Rohow James Manor Design
January 23, 2013 at 6:36AM     
omat85
I would go with the bottom color brown because it matches the bottom cabinet.. the other two colors match the wall tiles. If you go with the darker color it will bring out the tiles if you choose the lighter color it will match the tiles and distract or steal all the attention from the tiles. the brown will also put the vanity cabinet in to the picture, it will no longer be out of place it will have a matching tone like it belongs there.
January 23, 2013 at 6:41AM   
begica4444
I would pick a dark brown ! Then, would light up the bathroom with a pale blue shower curtain and towels, it would make it less "beige" !
January 23, 2013 at 6:51AM   
geopalz
I have to agree with the first comment on this page. Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore would work great. It's modern, clean and will work well with your pinky-beige tile.
January 23, 2013 at 6:57AM   
laurie57
Hi. I can't tell by the picture, but are your fixtures a pewter shade. I like a VERY soft grey idea also. I would go all the way onto the ceiling to bring the eye up in a small bathroom. Did this in my home; turned out amazing! The shower curtain in white brings out the porcelain fixtures, will give a crisp look. Or if you want to play down that idea and have the mosaic tiles be the focal point, keep it neutral like the tiles :-). Good luck!
January 23, 2013 at 7:12AM     
Jennifer Maybery
When I get color puzzled, I go to the color wheel. (Google with images turned on.) Find the predominant color you need to compliment and 1st go to the opposite side of the wheel. Usually any color along the path across the wheel can work in any shade of tint (white added) or value (black added). My suggestion in your case would be a variation of salmon or a powder (greyed) blue. Good luck!
January 23, 2013 at 7:12AM     
thickskin
How much natural light do you get in this room? The colour you choose should be determined by that.
January 23, 2013 at 7:15AM     
PRO
Mimis Fabulous Finds
Ive attached some ideas for you, hope this helps... let me know if you want me to try a different color :)
January 23, 2013 at 7:16AM     
mrslindamartin
I think your original idea for beige (pale to maximise light or dark if you want to be "moody") is fine ... a strong colour will date, go out of fashion (think of avocado bathroom suites). With a neutral background you can add a splash of colour (not too much) with your shower curtain (accent colour on a pale beige ground) toiletry containers and tooth mugs and either coloured towels or coloured embroidery on white towels, paintings etc. If the "copper" is metalic/ irridescent, a copper effect picture frame would tie in. You could then change your accent colour with the seasons, if you liked.
January 23, 2013 at 7:23AM   
Geri Bailey
I can't really tell what color the dark tiles are in the mosaic, but I recently went through the same color decisions in my bath and was looking at the same options that you are. My family vetoed the earthtone and copper colors and I was very nervous about a dark color; however I went with my gut feeling and am thrilled with the results. Two suggestions - get samples and paint a large piece of poster board with your final choices. I strongly recommend Home Depot for any kind of color matching. I found that they can make almost all manufacturer paint colors and their matching on objects is phenomenal. See the effects of a dark color on my small bath: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/317248/1970s-Cabin-Bathroom-Makeover

Best of luck.
January 23, 2013 at 8:31AM   
lindaf633
Please consider frosted glass sliding doors over the tub. I just completed this in my own demo of our bathroom and found it at Home depot for $315 easy to install and what a difference it will make. Opens UP the entire bathroom. I would select a lighter wall color, perhaps "Doe Skin" this color changes from vanilla to cream to beigh and goes with everything. I would NOT suggest painting the bathroom in a draker color...it will reflect onto YOU of whom ever is looking into the Mirror! best of luck. Linda
January 23, 2013 at 9:18AM     
mylittlehome
the colours on the wall are all good ...it's the shower curtain that's the problem....I would change that to one of the colours on the wall as well.
January 23, 2013 at 9:27AM   
cajie2luv
Unless the vanity is new, I would paint it white.
Another option
Try a mirror with a frame or make one and paint the frame the same color as the vanity.
Put the toilet paper in a wicker basket .
January 23, 2013 at 9:29AM   
littlebit28
I think one of your problems is the sink cabinet. It's darker color is dominating the room and making it feel even smaller than it is. Try painting it the same color as you paint the wall - as suggested - a warm white or light peachy-beige. I agree that the shower curtain is too flimsy and the wrong color - I know Bed Bath and Beyond has heavier waffle weaves in white. Good luck!
January 23, 2013 at 9:55AM   
Patti Wilson
teal
January 23, 2013 at 10:14AM   
mmilos
LOL! Never seen so many comments over choosing a paint color. There are so many opinions. I think the Revere Pewter looks nice and modern...it pulls out the grays in the accent tiles and goes well with your brushed nickel fixtures.

Change the shower curtain to a white and you're done.
January 23, 2013 at 10:20AM     
Jennifer Maybery
Like I commented earlier, CHECK OUT the COLOR WHEEL!
January 23, 2013 at 10:21AM   
mmilos
^ The opposite colors on the wheel coordinate, but they also amplify the contrast. I would stick with softer neutrals for this bathroom.
January 23, 2013 at 10:25AM     
Jennifer Maybery
...that's why you work with tints (lighter) or values (darker) versions of the opposites on the color wheel
January 23, 2013 at 10:27AM   
mmilos
^ Or you can work with colors adjacent for a softer effect.
January 23, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Cheryl
My favorite neutral beige that has no undertones of yellow, etc. is BM Shaker Beige HC-45. I sometimes go 24% lighter for a clean crisp look. Builders in my area use this color frequently. I agree with framing the mirror and adding a basket to back of commode. Good luck...looking good so far !
January 23, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Jennifer Maybery
Yup. You're right. Since we don't see much more of the space or know the color personality of the owners, the Color Wheel is a place to begin, as it is a tried and trustworthy tool for color harmony strategies. The 1st strategy people often try is the "opposites" (considering tints and values, too). Then other wheel strategies are available as wheel theories suggest.
January 23, 2013 at 10:38AM   
Elisa
Ok, more answers...

@jschultz2809: my fixtures are all white, no almond no grey. And thanks for the suggestion, I think I might use the darker shade from the big wall tiles and see if that works. I do have extra tiles to drag around with me.

@KN Interiors: Oh, I don't know. I worry about too dark...

@merngirl: Thanks for your tips. While on paper the earth/sky thing makes sense, I think it won't be the same in this space.

@onthefence: I'm glad you like my tile! :) I will try that pale grey/pink shade as you suggest because I think we have similar taste. Thanks!

@Susanna Artistea: Thanks for the info. I think that no matter the reason, the green is out of this bathroom. It just doesn't look right. The thing with the Sherwin Williams is that I am a bit OCD and I've only used Benjamin Moore colors so far, so I'm trying to stick with them. I know, a pretty stupid reason, but I do love BM and I feel I've researched their colors so much I'm more comfortable with them now. ;)

@kdeley: Thanks for the tip. I knew about it, but I've been lazy. So I just paint on the wall. Then I prime it back to white.

@Leaf Design Studio: Thanks. But I think green is out now. :(

@zlaronde: I'm starting to think so too. Thanks.

@wellsprungalice: Thanks for sharing your favorite color. I know what it's like when we finally find that color we've been looking for for so long. :)

@Irisheyes Home Improvement: Oh, I don't know, it seems too dark?

@Susanna Artistea: Don't worry about it. We can't all always agree. But I do agree with you when you say "pick with your heart" because that's exactly what I will do in the end. Thanks again for sharing your expertise, it's very interesting.

@Natalie: You bring me out of my comfort zone with this color. But I tell you what. I have painted my office with something similar. I will try that on the bathroom wall and report back.

@Cindy Schoenian Jennings: Thanks but I think a dark color doesn't work in here. I've tried. :(

@hparks74: If you look at my last picture you see an olive green in the swatches, and it didn't work. Good luck with painting your house. :)

@wendy6614: Thanks for your vote. :)

@hparks74: Oh, you are opening a new can of worms! I always worried about that vanity color, and at first I wanted to have it in white, but then my hubby said go for color. He didn't like the chocolate one, and I think that between the two I prefer this nutmeg one too. But I do see that it might not be "the perfect" color for the whole scheme of colors. Thanks for helping with my bathroom so much! :)

@mveasey: Yes, this is what I'm leaning towards more and more. A lighter color with a sheen to it. Thanks. :)

@lewisruth: Oh you're funny! They better not arrest me, I've researched this bathroom paint so much I should get an award or something. I like experts' opinions, and it makes sense that your tastes are different from your clients. Thanks about the vanity, and you are onto something when you say that I should trust my own opinion, for some reason I don't all the time... Thanks. :)

@kathleen MK: Thanks. I think you are very right, and my gut agrees with you. :)

@lillyan2: Thanks for your vote. But I think we're going lighter.

@onthefence: This discussion here on Houzz is brainstorming, and it always does wonders for me. We're getting there... :) Thanks for being part of it.

@silvevans: I thought about painting the vanity white, but now I'm not sure I want to do the extra work. :(

@busu: Thanks.

@dunberry: Another no for the vanity. :( We'll see once I try some more paints, then I'll decide on the vanity.

@rubykritz: I'll try the taupe I have and post pictures.

@jeniecegoellner: Oh my! I don't know about orange, it's just not my kind of color...

@zlaronde: What a beautiful picture. Thanks, I will study it.

@nononanna: Nooo, I don't want to go dark, the bathroom is too small...

@sallycashin: Thanks, I will look at that color.

@Luxmi Nambiar: I had thought about wall paper, but it's too much work. Hubby hates glass doors. :(

@bjnewcolor1: Thanks! I will totally look into that color. I think I know it. Does it have a yellow tint to it?

@omat85: You make some very good points. Thanks.

@begica4444: But I like the beige. :(

@geopalz: It didn't work. Look at my second picture with swatches, revere pewter is the first color on the left.

@laurie57: Supposedly my fixtures are white. But you guys are making me wonder now. The toilet and the tub are both American Standard, so whatever shade of white AS has that is it. The vanity is its own thing. Thanks for your suggestions. All very good. :)

@Jennifer Maybery: Thanks. I look at the color wheel too, but it hasn't helped this time!

@patricia beharry: There is a window in there, by the tub. I would say some light but it never gets very bright.

@Mimis Fabulous Finds: As you can see from the likes on your comment... wow! Thanks so much for your time, it helps a lot! You really make me like the dark brown idea. And you accessorized! You're awesome! Can you please try with more colors? Like with the beige, a creamy white and a grey? Pleaseeeee. Thanks so much!!

@mrslindamartin: I know. I think that is the way I want to go, too. Thanks

@Geri Bailey: Nice bathroom. Bold color. I am trying to decide if I can handle dark...

@lindaf633: Thanks for the suggestions on colors. About the glass doors, I would love them, but the hubby has vetoed them. Oh well.

@mylittlehome: That poor shower curtain has its days numbered, don't worry... ;)

@cajie2luv: The toilet paper is temporary like that, as are many other things in the house. :( The basket idea is cute, though, thanks.

@littlebit28: We'll see about the cabinet, after all these comments, I might change the color. First I'll try the paint and the curtain. Then if it's still bad we'll paint it... thanks!

@Patti Wilson: Thanks!

@mmilos: I know! I love reading them all, too! :)

@momsdebop: I have shaker beige in a sample, could try that too. Thanks for the other tips too.

I will be done with this soon, I promise. Thanks again to all of you!
January 23, 2013 at 11:00AM     
aniluap2
Your accent tile is do beautiful let that take center stage and don't let wall color detract. I would do a soft white and accessorize with copper , oiled bronze or rustic accent pieces. Clean white towels and white linen curtain that goes floor to ceiling ( you can use a regular window curtain hung on a rod near the ceiling,with a oiled bronze clip -on rings in front, and a regular shower liner on the inside hung from a shower curtain rod) for drama. Use a green potted plant in a pretty container for a pop of color.
January 23, 2013 at 11:09AM   
PRO
CM Staging Solutions Inc
I agree with the comment by aniluap2, let the accent tile pop, I would use a colour that is similar to the colour below, the only thin I would say is the colour of your cabinet doesn't appear to work with the accent tile, I would paint that a darker colour to match the dark brown tile in the accent to create some repetition.
January 23, 2013 at 11:13AM   
Elisa
Can I ask you guys for more help, but this time for my kitchen?

I need color help there too (what else is new?)
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/317776/Kitchen-Paint-Color-and-Counter-Top

Thanks!
January 23, 2013 at 11:26AM   
lela40
I would pick one of the darker shades in the mosaic tile, change out the mirror & have a white shower curtain or if you can, change it to a frameless shower door. Good luck.
January 23, 2013 at 11:26AM   
Genevieve
A bold coulur like navy would be my choice , Too much brown in my opinion and taste .
January 23, 2013 at 11:50AM   
gg4158
Benjamin Moore Healing aloe is a nice muted green
January 23, 2013 at 12:13PM   
PRO
Thomas Cochren Homes
THIS will work: Benjamin Moore CABOT TRAIL, magic colour that i recommend for a modern update. Best of luck!
January 23, 2013 at 12:55PM   
kimdee24
Here's how Benjamin Moore CABOT TRAIL would look:
January 23, 2013 at 1:25PM     
nononanna
On the Fence mentioned Ellen Kennon paints - has anyone else used them? I'm considering using them to paint a half basement/ family room, and it's alot more money than other good paints. Is it worth for a room that is partially underground without alot of natural light?
January 23, 2013 at 1:39PM   
jillmeng
My vote goes to the original lowest/darkest color. It made it seem more elegant and spa like. Gray is not in keeping with the warm tile and vanity. Then you also have a three-pete....vanity, wall and small tile.
January 23, 2013 at 1:41PM   
butterflyears
What if you went in the opposite direction. I notice that there is a gorgeous dark brown in the tile border. That might bring every thing together.
The color I was thinking about is "Pebble Mosaic" number 10YY 08/093 by CIL 2003(CF706-1230) Expression Gallery.
January 23, 2013 at 2:05PM   
designgirl178
I'm not sure its the colors that are wrong as much as the intensities...you may want to take the tile to the store and sit it near swatches to see which ones are in the same families. Good luck.
January 23, 2013 at 2:34PM   
Vera Kolpakova
You already have lots of color. I would go with simple white (snow white super glossy) for a clean un-cluttered feel. Add a more interesting curtain (Mimis has good ideas). Definitely change the mirror. Good luck!
January 23, 2013 at 3:08PM   
Judit
Robin's Egg Blue
January 23, 2013 at 3:47PM   
Demrovsky
Orange for sure! Not a super bright orange, but something to bring out the coppery color of the tile....I have an orange bathroom with taupe/brown tile and it is by far the most complimented room in the house!
January 23, 2013 at 3:55PM   
PRO
STUDIO MB
Any color you do other than the colors in the stone or white will chop the room in half. Its a small space as it is so keep it simple. Another idea is to run a subway in the same material above the wainscot. for a clean look ..its a nice way to finish off a wall like this.
January 23, 2013 at 3:59PM   
creativehunlady1
I would leave the original wall colour it really looks nice. Instead, I would change the mirror with a frame of the same colour as your cupboard under the washbasin. Regards,
January 23, 2013 at 3:59PM   
jillmeng
A blue would update and look pretty darn good. But you should then change the towels and shower curtain
January 23, 2013 at 4:02PM     
joey0920
Hi elisa, my bathroom tiles are similar to yours. I didn't want the entire room to be brown so I painted the wall with some green hue. I think it brighten up the room. Take a look.
January 23, 2013 at 5:00PM   
oglorib
I think you have enough going on without adding more to the pot. Get towels, shower curtain & wall to match & your bathroom will look bigger and brighter so that when you are 'sitting' there you will be surrounded by a bright, clean look. You did a lovely job unpicking tile and lavenette. Let that be your focus.
January 23, 2013 at 7:54PM   
oglorib
Correct typing above - should read; You did a lovely job in picking tile....
January 23, 2013 at 7:55PM   
shoncey
Black lacquer the vanity. Then paint or wallpaper 4 huge vertical stripes of black and sand pebble. It will add depth and dimension and a bit of sophistication
January 23, 2013 at 8:15PM   
justjanelle
I would try a cottage white, Behr paint, i feel it will make the tile pop! you don't want to compete with the gorgeous colors in the tile.
January 23, 2013 at 8:17PM   
nana4grace
Are you changing the color of the cabinet? If not I would use the darker color. The I would certainly get rid of that shower curtain--do that no matter what color you choose.
The new show curtain needs to have some type of design in it with some of the same colors in your tiles and maybe a "pop" of color (green, burnt orange),then add some towels or rugs in the same "pop" of color. Just a suggestion without actually seeing that room in person.
January 23, 2013 at 8:21PM   
jbsilver
I usually don't venture into this part of Houzz. I am not a designer. However I do enjoy looking at and reading about other's ideas. Helps makes me happy about my choices. And I'm sick and tired of looking at over sized bathrooms. This the small bathroom caught my eye. Dark colors diminishes a rooms size unless it has large windows. While I'm a firm believer in to each his own. I'd stick with light bright colors especially since it appears there are no windows. The tile on the lower part of the room has a light beige tone. I'd do the wall in a similar color. I'd do the cabinet in a light oak and border in the same wood tone. A large oval shaped mirror / medicine cabinet. as wide as the vanity over the vanity and possibly a cabinet over the toilet. Move the electrical outlet to under the mirror Hang the toilet paper dispenser on the side of the vanity and free up the floor space for a nice rug. And since the wall colors are naturals you can bring in your pop with the rug, show curtain and towels. I like pictures on the wall something simple that can be changed with the accessories or is multi colored on the wall where the door rest when opened. Towels can hang on the door. You have storage and choices. My bath room is 6' X 6' I got all that a storage tower and a separate cabinet that sit by the toilet I have a pedestal sink. and one bath mat in the middle of the floor. I do have a window over the tub. My bathroom serves its purposes well. And surprisingly is not cluttered looking no feel closed in. If you like it go with it. Let it be YOU
January 23, 2013 at 8:38PM   
rcmorter
I think you hit the nail on the head with the top left color. It is perfect to go with your tile
January 23, 2013 at 8:42PM   
njgardengal
I agree about the green. Could you see something like a airy green fern -stencil or wallpaper against a cream background (or dark charcoal grey or black to add major drama)?
January 23, 2013 at 8:42PM   
laurajquint
I guess you can't or don't want to tile up to the ceiling? I think that it what I would do. Good luck!
January 23, 2013 at 8:48PM   
mzos
i like the top left color and i would remove the shower curtain find something w some brown or walnut it ll bring it together w the vanity
January 23, 2013 at 9:04PM   
mebowers
The marscapone is not yellow. I just painted my place cameo which is warm, but yellow. My neighbour used marscapone BM and it is so soft and warm and more interesting than linen white and some of the more common whites, I wished I had gone with it. Just reprinted my small bathroom too, about your size. The previous owners had painted it a strong blue and it closed up the space. I a painted it Powell buff and the space seems larger. I would go with lighter colours.
January 23, 2013 at 9:16PM   
anthip
We have a brown bathroom with the grey/brown paint on the wall and it's gorgeous. I love your tile trim and I do like the BM Cabot Trail idea. Your first light one is nice but a little predictable.
January 23, 2013 at 9:45PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
The majority seems to be in agreement. Some are coming at if from an opposite view but I think it appears that majority is grey-green or grey-blue green.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/
The greens sit over the orange colors. This is good if you have a large screen.

The grey green - more a match in the tile and how the light would hit. The Blue Green - more a contrast with the cabinet. Both made with more red than some greens and we would hope that would help on the skin coloring issue mentioned above with green. if you have green eyes though...
January 23, 2013 at 9:57PM   
rawketgrl
My heavens so many really great ideas.This has got to win some sort of award for longest post! I am trying to do a whole house so this post has been very helpful. Best I can figure here is a breakdown:

The numbers of votes for a particular item are listed in parenthesis before the item (#).

Wall color choices and descriptions given: (the descriptions are just how each poster described their color choice)
•(27) BROWN: cinnamon, nutmeg, dark, rust, copper
•(25) TAN: beige, neutral, sand
•(21) GREY: dark, stone, pebble, soft, pink undertones, green undertones, blue undertones, greyish-green greyish-blue, greige
•(16) WHITE: soft, creamy, off-white, warm, pearl
•(12) GREEN : light, celadon, pale, sage, moss, fern
•(11) BLUE: robin’s egg, teal, slate, blue-green, turquoise, light steel,
•(6) ORANGE: bright, light, peach
•(3) PURPLE: eggplant, burgundy
•(2) YELLOW: golden, light
•(1) BLACK:

Other Wall options:
•(7) COLOR WHEEL
•(5) HIRE PROFESSIONAL
•(4) STRIPES
•(1) TILE IT

Other aspects of bathroom:
•(17) CHANGE CURTAIN
•(10) CHANGE MIRROR
•(6) CHANGE VANITY
•(3) MOVE OUTLET ....Not move out... LOL

Paint colors by brand/name: (I have not looked all of these up yet there could be errors).
Behr:
•Bamboo
•Cottage
•Craft brown
•Rocky ridge
•Twig basket

Benjamin Moore:
•Aura
•Baby Fawn
•Baby Turtle
•(3) Cabot Trail
•Cameo
•Healing Aloe
•Linen White
•(2) Mascarpone
•Praline
•Powell Buff
•(3) Revere Pewter ...this is an awesome color I am going to use it somehow
•Rustic Taupe 999
•Shaker Beige HC 45
•Thunder
•Whitall Brown HC69

CIL
•Pebble Mosaic number 10YY 08/093 2003(CF706)1230- Expression Gallery

Dulux
•Natural Calico

Farrow and Ball:
•Pointing

Sherwin Williams:
•Agreeable Gray 7029
•(2) Dover White
•Dovetail SW 7018

Home Depot:
•Doe Skin
•Martha Stewart brand in Kalamata olive
•Porcini

Valspar:
•Du Jour

Houzzers ROCK!

P.S. Elisa have you picked one yet? I love your bathroom, whatever color you pick will be fab and ultimately changeable! :D
January 23, 2013 at 10:12PM     
justme0917
I agree witht he 2 posters who said to accent the tiles and bring out the copper. Find a complimentary cream or off white for the walls and maybe a large stencil or stamp of copper randomly on the walls Maybe one of the designs in the tile. My son wanted a chinese temed room and wanted to paint it red ( too much color for me) I compromised by painting the room a warm golden beige/tan and stamped red chinese characters as a border at chair rail height and then hung Blank and White prints of chinese words above the border. He loved it and all his friends thought he had the coolest room ( he was 15)
January 23, 2013 at 10:56PM   
lorna1215
I liked the dark color ..a color close to the vanity color maybe good..
January 24, 2013 at 12:21AM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I like the top lightest color or a dark brown. If you can swing it I would replace that mirror with a "non bathroom mirror" with a little more interest. Heres a little color inspiration :)
January 24, 2013 at 12:43AM     
cm2121
I would go with a light neutral, like the top color. Then I would choose some bright accents. Play with gold, brown and blue towels, rugs, etc. Or just add lots of white for a clean look.
January 24, 2013 at 5:23AM     
Jean Tuck
kdeley, I might use nutmeg color paint as it is more in line ith cupboard color and one of the colors in tile and blue towel accessories (my personal preference).As I look through cataloques I have found ore variations of a color makes rms feel bigger in a small space.
January 24, 2013 at 5:38AM   
alwaysdesigning
Just my opinion, but when it's that hard to agree, I would stick with a neutral wall in a small bath and have furnishings like towels, and accessories, do the coloring for you. A glam mirror frame and fabulous light fixture might be all the additional sparkle you need. Additionally, think stenciling to get some texture on the walls and also don't forget the ceiling; it can be stenciled as well. But keep the colors light and bright for a small bath. Good luck.
[houzz=12th Street Project]
[houzz=Bathroom.]
[houzz=Contemporary Powder Room]
January 24, 2013 at 5:54AM     
merngirl
This discussion board concerning your bathroom wall color is addictive. I love seeing how many different opinions are out there. A couple of observations though, I hope you will consider. This is your family's main bathroom and I would guess storage is key, so don't toss the mirror unit just yet. Also, some pretty fancy ideas have been suggested, but the cabinet selection you've chosen seems to me to be very traditional and dictates a less over-the-top design. This bathroom needs to be inviting and soothing. That's why I vote for a lighter shade than dark and dramatic. And on color, do explore the different shades of beige because they can vary with undertones of gray, yellow, or pink. Your tile has undertones of yellow, but with veins of gray, which is why the brushed nickel works. Going cooler with a gray undertone, I think, will create a more calming effect. That's why some of us were encouraging you to go gray, or gray/green, or gray/blue, or (my favorite) gray/blue-green. By keeping it light I think it will feel more open and ethereal. But beige in a light tone would work too, and your accessories can provide interesting pops of color. Good luck! Trial and error is always the method. Thank goodness for paint samples! This bathroom redo is about you and your family and what makes you happy!
January 24, 2013 at 7:53AM     
maureenindk
I think a deep wall color with a white shower curtain. I can't tell if what you have now is actually a shower curtain liner but the color is blah. Is there any eggplant color in your small tiles? I like the idea of taking your tile to BM and getting them to match one of the deep colors. Assuming you are going to put up artwork on the walls, (framed in big white mats?) there won't be much wall color showing so you could make it really dramatic to go with those boarder tiles. Don't play it too safe or it could be boring. I once painted a white tiled guest bath a beige color and felt like it looked like a gas station until I painted it a deep taupe color.
January 24, 2013 at 8:16AM   
shirleynewit
With the color of your tiles you can put any color on the wall and it will look great.Do not be afaid of colors. a green or pink family would be nice just try it.......
January 24, 2013 at 9:38AM   
Elisa
I want to reply to each and every one of you, but today I need to spakle some walls in the kitchen (yes, I've become a do-it-all woman in this house!) ;)

But I HAVE to mention RAWKETGRL because she did something that I would have done, even though it's crazy! She summarized all of the comments making it easier to see the trends in the responses... thank you! YOU ROCK! :)

From these comments, it's safe to say that I shouldn't paint the wall in pink! While brown, beige, white, grey and green would work. I'm not crazy about the blues, nor the purples nor the blacks.

But I still have not picked the color. I will. I will. I think I need to go to my Benjamin Moore store with the wall tile. I will check it against some of these colors and suggestions. And I will post final pictures soon, maybe in a week or two I should have it all done.

Now, can we move on to the kitchen, pleeeeeeeeease!!!!!!! he he
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/317776

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :)
January 24, 2013 at 10:08AM   
Elisa
And if you are tired of picking colors and are good at rearranging furniture, give my living room a try:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/314630/Need-Help-with-Living-Room-Design

As you can see, the house is still all over the place. Argh.
January 24, 2013 at 10:54AM   
tjdclaire
Paint, Paint, Paint! I know that it has somewhat gone out of style (but seems to be making a comeback), but has anyone suggested wallpaper? You could do the stripes easily that way. Vertical stripes (keep them small, maybe half an inch wide) really open up small spaces. Wallpaper comes in all sort of colors and textures (not to mention patterns since you seem to want to keep it simple with the tile work.) There are 'papers that would look like the flat/semigloss stripes in the same color. You can usually order free samples,too.
January 24, 2013 at 11:47AM   
PRO
ANGLES3
It looks like your bathroom is on the smaller size. I would stay with the neutrals on the walls as well. I also like the colour on top as long as it matches the lightest beige in the tiles. You could also go with a warm white, that will keep your bathroom lighter. Colours go out of style but most neutrals will be ok longer. You can add accent colours in accessories to bring in some "excitement".
post a pic when you are done, it would be nice to see what you decided by.
January 24, 2013 at 11:56AM   
Elisa
Also, before I publish the finished project pictures, I guess I can share with you how horrible the bathroom looked when we bought the house (it's from my blog about our home renovation, which I have no time to update, because we're renovating...lol):
http://colonialonabudget.blogspot.com/2012/11/bathroom-demolishing-part-one.html
http://colonialonabudget.blogspot.com/2012/11/bathroom-renovation-part-two.html

And please, DON'T say it looked better before (some people have had the courage to say so).
January 24, 2013 at 12:32PM   
lkbw
The colors of your tiles remind me of beach sands....I think a very pale/light-white blue would be great! Restoration Hardware has a BEAUTIFUL color called Atmosphere Blue, which somewhat changes with the light. (gray to different shades of gray blue) I am NOT a blue person, but Atmosphere is not your typical blue. We used in our bedroom a few years back with cream and chocolate accents and LOVED it! Paint is a little prices at Restoration, but b/c of the quality of pain, it covers very nicely! Best of luck!
January 24, 2013 at 12:36PM   
Genevieve
This is what I have done with mine
January 24, 2013 at 1:19PM   
Genevieve
I took a look at your pictures and you have done a wonderful job with the new one , If I were you I would pick a colour right out of the glass tiles that you have . I think that someone had suggested a Nutmeg or cinnamon colour earlier .
January 24, 2013 at 2:06PM   
ginihandy
Pull the darkest color in the glass tile trim and give that wall a bold statement. Take the tile and have it color matched so you don't wind up with the wrong shade. Get a striped shower curtain that brings in all the various shades of beige/brown in the room, plus another (navy, green, brick) for contrast.. Design by consensus never works...pick what you think looks great and stick with it.
January 24, 2013 at 2:13PM   
irishsoules
I too am going thru a similar situation. So 1st I decided what makes me happy....I'm going for a bit more daring..bright ..cheerful & warm. Yours, .I would choose a soft warm yellow & get a new shower curtain with a print that calls out to you. I love doing stencils. I'm putting little pale gold, veined leaves , from Michaels... in various places. The secret is to remember tomHave Fun so you enjoy being in your Bathroom. And take your time.
January 24, 2013 at 2:16PM   
lauren beyda
I don't know much- I looked at paint colors and saw sand dollar by Benjamin Moore- eggshell is prerferred for a bathroom. Also Aura Bath and Spa has a matte finish which could be nice. Benjamin Moore too.
On the Benjamin Moore website they have tips on how to paint.
Also I would do a little shelf by the outlet for towels. Theres nothing wrong with the outlet there I think--
and try going to Walmart and picking up something nice for your feet they should have white soft rug that you can put around the toilet.
You did a nice job so far- I like it.
For extra glam go with a cool chandelier - something pewter-- round--- skeleton like.
And go for a picture frame to put on the wall.
There might be too much going on now- so try putting the toilet paper on the side of the vanity.
January 24, 2013 at 3:00PM   
sacgirl
Keep it simple and don't over think it. If the sink and toliet are a pure white (not creamy or off white) I would paint the walls an antique white. I haven't read all the previous comments so this may have already been mentioned, but I don't woudn't do a sponge texture, that will be way too much going on in that small room and compete with your tile. I would replace the mirror with a white framed mirror, which will give some nice contrast to an Antique White. Behr makes a color called Antique White, Dunn Edwards makes Sand Castle, I'm sure all brands make something very simiar. Walls painted a color in the white family make bathrooms feel clean and spa like. The shower curtain looks new so you probably don't want to replace it, but if you paint it an antique white, I would put a pure white shower curtain up.

It's a small wall area so I wouldn't over-think it. Even if you pick a color and can't live with it, it's not that much work to have a do-over. =) Good luck with your project!
January 24, 2013 at 3:48PM   
PRO
KR Home Staging & Design, LLC

. Plantation Brown by Sherwin Williams might work for your bathroom too!
January 24, 2013 at 4:24PM     
noankwaters
I love the idea of a white waffle weave shower curtain as many have suggested. I tried a few colors over on the Benjamin Moore site and, at least on my screen, Deer Trail looked quite nice and looked good with the current vanity, too.
January 24, 2013 at 4:39PM   
Danielle B
You already have a lot of warm tones in your bathroom. You definitely need to cool it down with some light blue-gray, such a s Tidewater 6477 from Sherwin Williams; Try painting the ceiling in the same very light blue. In any case, let us know what you decide or even better, post a picture of the final result! :-)
January 24, 2013 at 4:53PM   
sheilafruge
Hgnfjjd
January 24, 2013 at 4:56PM   
heidelberger
A pale moss green would look very pretty. These are warm, outdoor, fall colors. Stick with another nature inspired color that you would see in the fall. Beige would be boring, gray would make it too cold and dull looking. Even a light grey/blue/green may look nice. Nothing too sky blue though. Hope this helps!
January 24, 2013 at 6:18PM   
courtneyd17
Benjamin Moore Olive Branch is a beautiful, neutral brownish green that would go with your tiles. Perhaps BM Baby Turtle too. I would definitely get rid of the shower curtain though and go with white or a darker brown that matches the tile.
January 24, 2013 at 7:47PM   
Linda Coolen
You will never go wrong with Wedgewood Gray from Benjamin Moore. Its a fantastic shade of blue. Works wonderful with all those tan colors you have now
January 25, 2013 at 8:30AM   
mugsy1703
Benjamin Moore Rusty Nail cc-390
January 25, 2013 at 10:37AM   
onthefence
Maybe you can paint a VERY thin stripe of each color recommended and call it a day ;-)
January 25, 2013 at 10:39AM   
brensters
Hey, just had another thought! Ok if someone has already said this, then I apologize in advance. Haven't had a chance to read them all. I think I would be tempted to do white beadboard to the ceiling. White to simply pick up the white porcelain fixtures. This would add instant charm. Clean and bright. Home Depot's Martha Stewart line has a great paintable beadboard wallpaper that is way more believable than other beadboard papers I've seen. Easy-peezy. :)
January 25, 2013 at 11:20AM   
prlmorgan
Quit stressing..You have such lovely neutral tile and a nice contrast trim. Pick a color you love...and get a paintbrush. Perhaps the medicine cabinet could be updated..or a great mirror instead. We chose an antique frame, put in a mirror, and have his and her baskets under the sink for our "stuff". Honestly...it's your home...always..go with what you like looking at.
January 25, 2013 at 2:05PM   
Elisa
Ok, I went ahead and ordered a new medicine cabinet, which is a mirror with a brushed nickel frame. I also bought TWO shower curtains, one the white waffle and another one with some brown and white. I will stop by Benjamin Moore tomorrow, not sure if for a few more samples, or if I will jump and buy a gallon of something. (I can't understand why such a commitment phobia for these bathroom walls)
January 25, 2013 at 7:08PM     
prlmorgan
Good for you...Again quit stressing...it's truely all about what YOU love..and will enjoy looking at. Hey...it's only paint...you can change it out anytime. Add a few pieces...pictures..anything that give you pleasure and feeds your spirt...you can not go wrong..
January 26, 2013 at 2:18AM   
cspezowka
Blue, light blue
January 27, 2013 at 2:02PM   
mattie
Instead of trying to match the tile, how about going for drama and contrast by painting the walls the milk chocolate brown that is in the mosaic tile border. The tile will then stand out as a design element. Then hang framed artwork with white mats, white shower curtain, perhaps with some brown grosgrain ribbon trim glued on - stunning.
January 27, 2013 at 2:19PM   
Aja Mazin
January 28, 2013 at 12:17AM   
Darzy
7 days ago Interior International said "I like the top one. Spa like and goes with the tile". Ditto.
BTW. Elisa..you're a real trouper! Onward and upward!
January 28, 2013 at 12:25AM     
misspilar
I wouldn't do matchy-poo...don't add any more golds or browns. You have more than enough. Go for a mid-tone warm charcoal, Sherwin Williams 'Amazing Grey' will Pop! the wood tones of the vanity. Use deeper tones of warm charcoal for textured towels (no prints, please). Can't see the floor... What's going on there? You could go for a faux sissel but make it a heavy textured area rug.

If this also were my house, I'd remove those mosiac tiles...maybe go for something bolder...charcoal, again, in a matte glass tile, at least 4" x 4". Sounds like a man's bathroom but greys, charcoals are very sexy. Hope you have brushed nickel as well for hardware. Pilar Kildebeck
January 28, 2013 at 6:46PM   
misspilar
P.S. from Pilar Kildebeck:

When you can, get rid of the shower curtain and install a glass enclosure. Make sure shower floor is same tile as floor. We have honed 13" x 13" Black Absolute tiles on the floor in a harlequin pattern and 6" x 6" for the shower stall. Keep the eye moving...don't break up room any more than necessary. You don't want a 'Crazy Quilt' room. Remove the toilet brush (ugh) and hide it in a cleaning closet down the hall or in the garage. It's not an ornament. You could also ditch the vanity and swap out sink for a nice pedestal one. Be brave! It's what you admire in other peoples homes. PK
January 28, 2013 at 6:51PM   
Elisa
@misspilar: It's not a toilet brush. It's the toilet paper holder. Which has been replaced with a similar but taller one. :)
January 28, 2013 at 7:32PM   
sarahthomastorrcodesign
I like the copper color I think if you changed faucet to oil rubbed bronze it would make a different statement.
January 28, 2013 at 7:38PM   
misspilar
ORB would look better but use same finish for shower. Try purchasing a one-hole style faucet WITHOUT the flange (the flat bottom piece) so you have more space on the deck (even though you shouldn't keep anything on the sink...hide everything...can be no style with glasses, toothbrushes and whatevers crowding your space and the look). I've used tall, kitchen faucets that have a single lever either to the side but you could use one that is on top of the faucet...looks more like a finial. Buy a faucet WITHOUT a pull-down spray...they swivel and come in lovely styles. Pilar
January 29, 2013 at 8:43AM   
kkarr
Pull the colors from the accent tiles. Use the darkest color on the vanity, the medium color on the walls, and the lightest color on the ceiling. Add pops of bright color with towels, accessories, awesome art and a kick-ass shower curtain. Be bold and reap the rewards.
January 29, 2013 at 10:38AM   
maryannes
I like the color in the original picture above the outlet.
January 29, 2013 at 1:51PM   
prlmorgan
My God..I hope you've painted it by now!
January 30, 2013 at 2:22AM     
misspilar
I have a number of color schemes before I made any final decision...many factors come into play such as SIZE of room, LIGHT sources (both natural and electrical), your PERSONALITY, the PROXIMITY of room to other rooms and their palette, TEXTURE (a color looks different on varied surfaces AND shapes: spotted a BLACK Mercedes sedan that was just perfection...a week later saw the same model in BROWN and, well, it just didn't cut it!).
January 30, 2013 at 8:34AM   
PRO
slaah
Elisa/pathrome is somthing more specle make your mind up and ask your self about the butifull cloure make you feel very cool ,the clour that tuch you deepley in side you ,when you are tierd you will go to take path 'when you want to meet some body ,or you want to rember your lovley days all things mixed to your sule .i think its better tochse it by your self
January 30, 2013 at 9:06AM   
PRO
DesignHouse Inc - House Plans
Go to Sherwin Williams website and you can "try on" paint colors using your pictures. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/try-on-colors/ Good luck.
January 30, 2013 at 9:20AM   
swewer
I have the same tile color. I used Chocolate Froth....from Behr ( or was it martha Stewart? ). Eitherway, it opened up the room and continued along matching the tile. I know your family nixed the idea, but really, it should be neutral, and it is YOUR ARTWORK< TOWELS AND SHOWER CURTAIN that pop from the beige walls. Do you have a window in this room? If not- the reason the colors all look WRONG could be due to only artificial light. I had/ have this same problem in the powder room. Choose Reveal light bulbs, or soft white bulbs, then check your lighting fixture to make sure it isn't killing your best intentions. It should point up with shades, not down unless you want a Glare. If you have a dome light, choose a softer white or ivory bulb casing.
January 30, 2013 at 9:36AM   
Aja Mazin
Elisa,

How about

@Natalie,

Hi---SW 7018 Dovetail by Sherwin Williams... Perfect for your walls... Good Luck!

9 days ago · Like · 8
January 30, 2013 at 9:44AM     
Aja Mazin
OR,

Kevin Wild - IBB Designer

I am all about the contrast! I think adding a color like Sherwin Williams' Agreeable Gray 7029 will help keep it in a natural soft pallet. The Gray-beige will update your bathroom to a current feel! Enjoy painting!

9 days ago · Like · 24
January 30, 2013 at 9:48AM     
PRO
slaah
Elisa/chose your clour by your self it will be verrrry nice
January 30, 2013 at 9:58AM     
hillsdale
YES, step away from the brown/beige tones and go with grays, they are so much fresher. you'll be happier. If none of these other colors make you happy, i have a good neutral gray called Limestone at Lowe's in valspar paints i believe. it may work if the others don't. I agree with others on using more white....White shower curtain, white towels...and then...Add a really great pop of color in some great art! You have a lovely bathroom.
January 30, 2013 at 10:15AM   
Elisa
I still haven't painted it. Soon. I need to buy paint. I think I know which color. I will leave you wondering... ;)
January 30, 2013 at 10:57AM   
Elisa
And thank you to everyone of you! Great people here on Houzz. :)
January 30, 2013 at 10:57AM   
kimdee24
As you can tell, we are all dying to see the final result! :)
January 30, 2013 at 11:11AM   
PRO
slaah
Elisa/thank you very mutch makup your mind chose your lovley paints
January 30, 2013 at 11:11AM     
PRO
slaah
Iwish i win and all off you i love you all with my best regards
January 30, 2013 at 11:16AM     
Elisa
@slaah: thank you! I will have an answer soon! :)
January 30, 2013 at 11:30AM   
PRO
slaah
Elisa /happy momery need nice plase to rmember it
January 30, 2013 at 11:35AM   
thickskin
Enough already.
January 30, 2013 at 12:06PM     
PRO
StylishStaging
Try Sherwin Williams - Universal Khaki 6150 it is a chameleon and takes on tones that it is near. Warm Greys are making a comeback if this color works with your tile then I think that you have a winner. It is hard to tell colors when you do not see the room in person. Good Luck and let us see your finished room.
January 30, 2013 at 12:24PM   
Aja Mazin
Elisa,

The gas station called.

You left your make-up in their bathroom.
January 30, 2013 at 1:47PM     
Jayme H.
I am anxiously awaiting the outcome!....:) ..Best wishes and please show us the end result!
January 30, 2013 at 1:53PM   
PRO
nFORMAL design
So...I just have to chime in a little. I didn't read every post (or even many of them), but someone posted, "Don't overthink it..." I had to say I thought that was a little comical since there are about 200 posts on this discussion! Natalie said gray and showed a bright white bathroom. Are you redoing everything else white or keeping same tile? If changing everything to white, I personally think a sage-y green is a good choice...calm, soothing. If you get it on the grey side, you can do blues, greys and even some green accents.

I can't download the color swatch, but Rainy Day by Pratt & Lambert would be my choice if redoing to white. If not, you'd have to go to a warmer green, but still in a lighter tone.
January 30, 2013 at 2:17PM   
PRO
slaah
Elisa/i am watting for your comment
January 30, 2013 at 8:51PM   
PRO
slaah
Aja mazen/next time she will not left any thing becouse she got nice path room
January 30, 2013 at 9:04PM     
PRO
slaah
Jayme hobbs/mybe she is not going to tel US final reslt
January 30, 2013 at 9:19PM   
PRO
slaah
Elisa/all comments choice you all clourse ,if you are not going to get your best clour 'paint it with all clour then it will be acoktil ,(path room clour is only one clour one is light for the walls and tills dark degree for the shwer and stool}.
January 30, 2013 at 9:30PM   
PRO
slaah
Elisa/ iam watting for your beutifll anser
January 31, 2013 at 8:54AM   
Jayme H.
Elisa...Elisssaaaa...where is your beautiful answer???
January 31, 2013 at 9:05AM   
Elisa
LOL! This is getting a little out of hand... I won't have the color on the wall for a while because I need to finish tiling and the mirror is backordered. Please be patient, I will not forget to update you all. :)
January 31, 2013 at 10:46AM     
PRO
slaah
Elisa/thank you keep touch of me
January 31, 2013 at 11:25AM   
prlmorgan
Elisa...you're not even done with the tile (how long did you take to pick that out..that's a little more permanent than paint!) And now you are agonizing about the paint color. Really...too many get paralyzed with these home decor projects. Ask yourself...how many people are really going to be in your bathroom. Again...Always...go with what soothes your own Spirit...you can not go wrong. But if every choice you make is this hard... nothing will get done. Spend 15 mins doing something...this will help you move forward. Keep the Faith Sister...it's just a bathroom.
February 1, 2013 at 12:48PM   
Jayme H.
No offense to anyone whatsoever...but when people get a million different suggestions, additional ideas, etc, etc....it likely becomes difficult to make a quick decision....And also..many people work and do not have time to ponder the bathroom colors & decor in a non-stop, never ending fashion.....So give people a break and be patient.
February 1, 2013 at 3:20PM     
Susanna
I agree Jayme. And, perhaps Elisa could consider closing this thread and opening a new one when she is ready for the reveal. Many people do not have the time to read through all of this, or don't want to, so many comments are suggesting what has already been discussed and discarded by Elisa.
February 1, 2013 at 5:25PM   
Elisa
@prlmorgan: No, no... I had the tiles picked immediately. But they only had some in stock and the rest took 6 weeks to get, which was this past Friday. And we are doing the tiling ourselves! Mosaic tiling! Thinset sticking out everywhere, not fun to clean.

@Jayme Hobbs: Thank you. We do work. And come home tired and NOT ready to work on the house for too long, but we still do what we can. Plus, it's not just the bathroom, it's every other room too. Little by little...
February 1, 2013 at 8:12PM   
Elisa
@Susanna Artistea: I looked and I don't think I can close this discussion. You, however, can chose to not follow it anymore right from the email notification you get with this last comment. But how will you know when I'll write again??? :)
February 1, 2013 at 8:25PM   
Elisa
OKAY MY FRIENDS, PLEASE LISTEN UP. NO MORE COMMENTS ARE NEEDED. NO MORE. PLEASE. LET THIS ONE BE THE LAST.

They are clogging people's emails. :(

I appreciate your help immensely. You have given me tons of ideas. I have dreamt my bathroom walls in every color of the rainbow. No more is needed, we have reached the end of possible solutions and suggestions.

Move along... help others with only 2 comments. :)

I will post again here when I'll have a before and after discussion with the bathroom pictures, so you all will be notified and will be able to see it.

Thank you again,
Elisa
February 1, 2013 at 8:32PM     
PRO
Galleria Place
February 1, 2013 at 10:01PM   
Susanna
Exactly, Elisa. I left it open to see the final answer. I am new to Houzz and don't know if you can shut down and open a new reveal post or not. Just a suggestion as I thought you had made your decision and we would see the new post.
February 1, 2013 at 10:22PM   
thickskin
Somebody, please tell me how to get this thread to stop.
February 2, 2013 at 4:58AM     
abbshel
Contact Houzz and let them know they need to add a feature for us to control our discussion feeds into our "Your Houzz" sections. Not the email control, but the feed control!
February 2, 2013 at 5:52AM   
Genevieve
You can un-follow if you wish, just press stop notification in your in box
February 2, 2013 at 6:16AM   
abbshel
Genevieve,
I believe that only works for,email notifications but NOT the feed that goes into our My Houzz personal sections. Every time someone answers a dilemma the latest post pops up in feed. I've contacted Houzz and they said they did not have a feature to control this. Maybe one day??
February 2, 2013 at 6:25AM   
Genevieve
Yes abbshel I agree , I would like to see this project completed as well or at least put to a vote . Funny how some of these questions go on and on . If no one would add to it it would probably stop on its own:)
February 2, 2013 at 6:31AM   
Wanda Witt
Try robin's egg blue.I have very neutral bribes in my bath and added blues and I love it.Good luck
February 10, 2013 at 8:46AM   
Elisa
Here it is!!! My new bathroom with the perfect wall color: French White by Benjamin Moore.

I listened to you all, and in the end I followed my heart, and my heart said beige, an elegant and calm beige/white.

I tried the white shower curtain, but I didn't like it, I tried something darker and I didn't like that either. I think I like this bathroom to have shades of beige and light brown. Nothing too light, nor too dark.

I changed the mirror and I am so happy with the new one.

And I have disguised the outlet some, and I can completely hide it if I want to.

Thank you all for helping me so much with this project! :)

Elisa
http://colonialonabudget.blogspot.com/
February 21, 2013 at 8:18AM     
Jayme H.
Good choice, I like it a lot!!
February 21, 2013 at 8:20AM     
mmilos
^^ Looks nice and neutral. But I'm sure peeps will be disappointed after all the discussion you didn't choose something a bit bolder.

Personally, I think the mirror is too ornate with your more contemporary tile and fixtures. I liked the original, plain mirror you had better. :-)

A white shower curtain didn't work with your wall color because it wasn't enough contrast. This shower curtain complements your wall color nicely.
February 21, 2013 at 8:24AM   
onthefence
Yeah Elisa! It looks beautiful!!
February 21, 2013 at 8:35AM     
jillmeng
Be proud of yourself! It all looks great.
February 21, 2013 at 9:17AM   
thickskin
Elisa, It looks beautiful. I wold have popped the mirror frame with a bright colour; But that is just me.
February 21, 2013 at 9:23AM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Elisa you did a wonderful job it looks so serene and spa like now. The calm neutrals are gorgeous and well balanced. I love that mirror also great choice. So glad that YOU like it because after all YOU have to live with it not others ;)
February 21, 2013 at 9:28AM     
maryannes
It's simply beautiful! Works well with the vanity and tile, I love it
February 21, 2013 at 1:12PM   
Elisa
Thank you again, to all of you!

I know I could never have a bathroom that encompasses EVERYBODY's preferences and taste, that's why this is my bathroom, and as Andrea Prasch says, I have to like it, and I do! :)

But you've helped. All of you (Hi onthefence!)

Now I have to focus on the kitchen and a little on the dining room. If you have a minute, take a look at my empty :( dining room and help my fill it up!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/355882/Dining-Room-Dilemma

Elisa
February 21, 2013 at 2:52PM     
linda
Sherwin Williams has a great color called Portabello that would look really good with that tile
February 21, 2013 at 3:04PM   
Phyllis Hood
Seafoam would look great.
February 21, 2013 at 3:16PM   
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Ok...the bathroom is done, & the homeowner is happy with it...may we put aside the additional comments??? If you ask 5 designers what to do with a room, you will get 5 different interpretations. In the end, it's the homeowner's house & the homeowner's money.

Elisa...you've done a very nice job & I'm happy that you're happy!!!
February 21, 2013 at 3:42PM   
kimdee24
Looks great! I'm glad I got to see the finished room. Well done!
February 21, 2013 at 3:44PM   
PRO
slaah
Elisa/ i hope to get avery good desingining for your kitchen and dining room from the old teem
February 23, 2013 at 9:27PM   
lisacabinetree
If you have good lighting... Go a bit more brown than the darkest color! What drama!!! And change that shower curtain, unless its the camera flash, it looks he wrong color with the tiles...
February 24, 2013 at 8:40AM   
icechrystal
I think your trying too many browns. I'm thinking an olive green or a sage green would set it off wonderfully.
March 6, 2013 at 5:01PM