Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help designing front porch
pambowen
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
When we bought the house it had a pergola type covering, which we removed. The current roof line makes it difficult to add a different type porch
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
I like the clean, simple lines it has now. I would just add some nice potted plants on either side of the door and call it a day. :-)
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:51AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Adding any other roof line will ruin the look of the house. The least offense if you really need a covered porch would be a flat roof.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 12:20PM
Jayme H.
Ideas
6 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:43PM
pambowen
Wow! Thanks! What is the material on the one on the right?
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
Dytecture
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:07PM
Jayme H.
I looked it up and it had a site..."fengshuifushion.com". I believe it is metal....hope u find one u like!!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:22PM
nevadan
If your house faces south or west, you need some shelter over the front door. Houses of that style used to have canvas striped awnings in front. How about something like that?
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:54PM
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
I had a client with a similar roof line and wanted a front porch. As an option, just look at the Before and After roof lines on the attached (not the support or anything below the roof). You could extend your front roof line, and then hip return the roof back to create a roof over the entry! Hope this might help!
5 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 8:30AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
If you don't plan to alter your ceiling structure I would ad some architectural detail around the door itself (wood/limestone). To shelter from the elements how about a glass awning?? There many different styles and you would not have to at tamper with the ceiling lines.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:36PM
PRO
Craig W. Isaac Architecture
TJP has the best option for a true covered porch. You could support the outside corner w/ a wall bracket, hang a nice fixture and add some trim around the door.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:00AM
jimzeichman
I think the black metal awning proposed by Jayme Hobbs is the perfect fix for your situation. Classy, effective, understated and it won't look like an afterthought.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:01AM
wallymcgill
add a black and white striped Sunbrella awning
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:09AM
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
Diagrams of what people are saying above: you can continue the roofline to the left and just make that your covered porch, or you can take a slower pitch and bring it to to where you want it for the porch. The quick sketch shows a wider porch, tying the door and the left together.... Like the other suggestions too! Good luck!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:51AM
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
it would be nice if they let me attach the sketches...will try again
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:55AM
Chris
I think you need to provide coverage for the stoop (particularly important since someone entering will need to avoid the outward swinging storm/screen door) and some kind of emphasis that warms up the door and says "Here I am!".
For coverage, I like the arched glass shown in the upper right on Studio Forma's post. That's a really small stoop there, and it would be easy to end up with the front door equivalent of a unibrow. A standing seam metal roof in copper might work, too; look in your yellow pages for someone who advertises sheet metal fabrication. Lots of shops who primarily make ductwork have the know-how and experience to make standing seam roofs to fit.
For emphasis, it may be hard to apply decoration without overwhelming that tiny space. Perhaps painting the door and storm in some more eye-catching color? And then pick up the color in garden plantings. I personally think the space is a bit tight for pots on the stoop. Where does your mail get left?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:21PM
PRO
studio | FORMA
You may like to consider rain chains instead of the gutters. They are practical and aestheticaly pleasing and sounding.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 10:14PM
Dar Eckert
It would be helpful to see the entire front facade in order to make suggestions. Can you post more photos?
3 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 4:33AM
ruthieq
extend the porch to the first step then build new steps , add a collum pole to hold up new copper roof that extends to the edge of new extended porch .. this will give you room to open the front door and give shelter to those entering the home. You might add a matching light on the other side of the door for a little balance.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:12AM