Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to tile around a one piece shower and bath
michella101
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking to remove this board from around shower. We had to place for a splash guard due to water getting into sheet rock about a year after we bought our home. Finally after 15 yrs we are looking to upgrade with a very nice tile with accent and would like to extend the tile to ceiling.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
Rip it all out and redo it. It'll save headaches and problems down the road vs. tiling over the existing enclosure...besides not tiling over it will preserve precious space where it's at a premium.
January 21, 2013 at 11:55am   
michella101
I would love to rip out this 1 piece however this is not an option at this time. I have a couple of samples of how I want to go but am just so unsure!!
January 21, 2013 at 12:20pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
All three look good it comes down to which colors you like. I don't understand why can't you tear it out? It would actually be cheaper to do it that way. To get tile to adhere to that existing wall will be a huge problem.
January 21, 2013 at 12:26pm   
michella101
Ok, let me get this right you guys are suggesting tearing out the 1 piece fiberglass shower and bathtub combo? The actual flower board was only placed as a splash guard around since the wall must have not been prepared correctly for moisture.
January 21, 2013 at 4:38pm   
kathy
I think we're confused - at least I am! Does this flower board only start at 5 or 6 feet above shower/tub floor? Maybe take a few shots of whole tub area so that we can see what we're looking at? Please and thanks!
January 21, 2013 at 4:55pm   
Brenda Fisher
Just tiling the top portion will not solve the problem with the water. If you have only drywall behind then guaranteed you have water damage behind too! If you can't afford to redo now then just add more tub surround material to the top and wait until it can be done right! Surround material is sold in sheets too.
January 21, 2013 at 5:55pm     
Natalie
Hi---you need to tear out what you have and replace it with Hardibacker board 1/2" thick in the shower and non-sagging thinset to install tile. Apply silicone caulk in corners and where the wall(s) meet the floor--use unsanded grout once the tile has set up for at least 24 hours... Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
January 21, 2013 at 6:08pm     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.