Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
DIning table scale
Neubert Millwork Company
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm building a new live edge dining table out of a salvaged black walnut tree. The space would take a table measuring up to 8'. I would like to go 9'-4" to fit my number of extended family members for holidays and Sunday dinners and also friends at our frequent dinner parties. I'm convinced to throw design out the window to meet the functionality. The cherry table is in the existing space, sorry it's not a good picture of the situation.
I'm trying to convince my wife that it will look fine to get 6 cool chairs and leave three on each side for every day and not put them on the ends to make up for the extra length. Thoughts?
This will be the house we stay in for a long time.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Open Dorr Custom Renovation
I like this idea, and in Europe, most dining table setting are with chairs on the sides, not on the ends. It is fine to place 6 chairs along the sides and if you need more for the ends when you have company, then place them in corners or out of the way. Just make sure that the room does not feel crowded and the scale of the chairs match the table, but don't take up too much space and that you can move around it. The table is the highlight, not the chairs. I love the table, even before it is built!
3 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:46PM
houssaon
I am going to restate what I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You currently have an eight foot table and you are building one that will be 9 feet four inches. To accommodate the longer table, you want to have only six chairs on the side only. (And I assume, when you have more guests you could add to the end of the table and maybe to the sides, as well.) But your wife does not like the idea of not having chairs at the head and foot of the table. You want our opinions on the matter. Did I get it right?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
Houssaon, you're right on. And Open Dorr (I love that name), we're heading for Italy in March, I'll drop it on her that we're just jumping the gun on our new European design element!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:54PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
Open Dorr, It will look too big for the space because the last 10 years the small table was there, but also the fact that an 8' table would just look better. But that's my point, the memorable meals that will happen there are MUCH more important to me than having the "proper" size in there.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 12:59PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
Houssaon, thanks for the photos. I think it looks very nice with chairs set just on the sides.
My situation will be a little different in the fact that the table will just look too big, it won't be impeding anything else. I guess I'm just looking for some vindication that the awesome setting of having all the friends and family around the same table makes up for any sense of design faux pas.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:08PM
pamrhess
The only functional consideration is whether on a day to day basis you can navigate easily around the table ends, It won't be a big deal to add the chairs on the ends during a dinner party if there is enough room for you to do that. I have a 9.5 foot table in a 14 foot room and it's great. There needs to be at least 24 inches on either end to fit a chair.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:17PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Absolutely! Find some cool small scaled chairs you will be fine. PS: I AM SO JEALOUS I WANT THAT TABLE! ;-)
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 1:23PM
creeser
Absolutely! That's what we used to do with our old dining table and it looked and worked well. I'm with Interiors International..I'd give an in law to get that table!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:31PM
houssaon
My only other question is whether you meant six on each side or a total of six. Either way, it can look good.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:32PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
It would be three on each side and depending on the size and scale of the new chairs I would consider 4 on each side.
creeser, I'm covered on the number of in-laws right now, but thanks for the offer!
I'll post a picture when the table is done. It will be an amazing piece.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:39PM
creeser
Aww shucks. Can't wait to see it!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 2:24PM
sacapuntaslapioz
make it a drop end table with the 2 ends (which have much less interesting edges) drop about 12 inches each.
AWESOME TABLE.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 2:39PM
ccwatters
I think that 4 chairs on each side will look better. Though you say the table is too large for the room, going with 3 chairs will only draw attention to all the extra length of it. I don't think there's anyhting wrong with no chairs on the ends.
I would also move the piece of furniture (small dresser/buffet) that is shown in your current DR pic to another location, along with other pieces of furniture that might further crowd the space.
Finally, I would change the paint color on your walls to a softer neutral that will both open the space and also complement the table...almost blend a bit with it's final color. If you feel you must have color, I would put it at the upper third of the room, with wainscot, beadboard, etc painted the color of your trim on the bottom.

Good for you for focusing on the family dinners, they are far more important than any "perfect" design could ever be. What great memories will be made at that gorgeous table!
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 3:43PM
haefs
I just measured the "room". The length is 12'-9". I used the quotation marks because the area is actually bigger as it's open to the foyer on the side and to the kitchen on the end. The 12'-9" is the wood floor that delineates the DR vs the corridor between the foyer and the kitchen which is tile.
CC, I am definitely going to move the little buffet out of the scene. My wife is contemplating paint colors to brighten it up. I appreciate the advice. I also agree that 4 chairs will be much better. Thanks to all for the comments.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:09PM
onthefence
FWIW, I love the idea. It sounds a lot more communal to me than the Chairman sitting at the head of the Board Table.

And I'm placing myself in line for that table if you should change your mind. I'd have to build a new house for it to fit...but a 9' walnut table! What's not to love?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:03PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I love the table, the walnut and your project - but i am not a fan of having something so large in my home everyday for those odd occasions when we entertain. Make your home how you want it for everyday, and design it so that it functions with ease when you do entertain.

I'd take a look at your space, make the table long and narrow - build in a banquette to seat plenty in a pinch when you need to, but for everyday, it looks amazing.

Below is a banquette I designed for a local couple that owns a restaurant. In a pinch they need to go for seating for 2 to 12. This banquette accommodates!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:15PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
Here's the finished product. The table fits beautifully. For now, I've purchased just the 6 chairs. I'll add 2 for the ends later on. I'm thinking they will be a complimenting style to the existing 6 instead of getting the same ones. The log in the first picture is where this table started from 3 years ago.
2 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 12:03PM
irastuckey
great idea with the 6 chairs. I am looking for a 60 in round table..any ideas
1 Like   April 10, 2013 at 12:06PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
A few more images...
2 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 12:07PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
irastuckey, I'd been on the lookout for a large round table for quite some time myself. I was surprised at the lack of selection in the "normal" furniture stores. Good luck with your search.
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 12:37PM
Judy M
Love it and looks great in the room.
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 12:41PM
PRO
Open Dorr Custom Renovation
Great Job! If you want to put chairs at the end eventually, you may have to turn the table. You won't have room to seat anyone by the window. At least that is what it looks like in the photo. You need at least 24" for someone to squeeze in there :)

You have room to put 2 complimenting chairs on either side of the table and just move the table when you have company. This could work well.

Enjoy your handiwork. It is a lovely table...a little large but truly beautiful.
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 2:17PM
PRO
Neubert Millwork Company
There's just enough room at the end by the window to slide a person in if you don't use an arm chair. The legs were positioned to put two additional people on each side so they aren't banging their feet on the legs. So that will give us a total of 12 seated comfortably. Which is just what our family needs. It's a great piece that will hopefully be in the family for generations and will carry story upon story of family good times with it.
1 Like   April 10, 2013 at 2:55PM
ccwatters
That is a beautiful piece of furniture! And what a great story in that original piece of wood it came from. If that were my masterpiece, I would probably be dragging people in off the streets to see it ;)
Great job, enjoy those family dinners!
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 4:02PM
sondramartina
Does your wife like it?
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 4:17PM
creeser
You did such a beautiful job! Thanks for showing us the finished product. Offer to trade an in law for that table still stands! ;)
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 4:18PM
Margaret B
WOW. Thank you for sharing, incredible table!
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 4:23PM
haefs
The wife loves it.
Creeser; still good on the in-laws. But I would have yours over for a great dinner!
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 6:31PM
creeser
I have 17 in-laws, that's not counting children. You need to buy a few more chairs. *L*
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 4:23AM
More Discussions
Yes or No-rug
This is my 2nd rug purchased. And I'm still not jumping...
Should I stay or should I go? Said the rug
I just received my rug to go in the dinning room. Table...
SHOES ON FOR OFF FOR VISITING GUESTS?
Do you ask you guests (non in-house members) to remove...
Dining room wall color help!
Georgian Colonial. BM Balboa mist in the foyer & halls....
need help with living in a small 1200sq ft house.
I was living in a 2400sq. foot home now I'm in a double...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.