Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help updating a room around existing tile
claire12345
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are doing a compete remodel of my husband's grandparents' house built in 1978. The guest bath already had tile that had an interesting look so we decided to keep it so we'd have something in the house that was from the original design. I need suggestions on how to improve the look around the tile. Mainly wall paint and countertop color suggestions. We aren't changing any actual architecture in this room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Split Rock Associates Inc.
Love the tile! Try a venetian plaster finish which is always beautiful and holds up very well to moisture. it has just the right character to work with your exisiting tile and adds tons of sophistication to any space. The application of the plaster creates varying degrees and shades of color which makes it much more interesting than a monochromatic finish like paint. You can probably keep the countertop if you go that way.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 2:11PM
decoenthusiaste
Here are some paint colors that will work with it. Sherwin Williams 6218 Tradewind (like the pale bluish tone) 7018 Dovetail (a greige,) If you want to pick up on the purplish tone 6816 Dahlia. The tile is a bit Mediterranean if you lean that direction in colors.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 2:18PM
claire12345
thanks! This picture shows the countertop a bit better... I think it's going to clash with the tile no matter what, but I was thinking to just make it a more solid cream color. Maybe just using cultured marble to keep the cost down and we probably wouldn't want a busy granite on the counter when there's so much going on with the tile anyway.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 2:31PM
PRO
Kevin Twitty- IBB Designer
I completely agree with descoenthusiaste. Tradewind form Sherwin William is a beautiful color and with the more traditional and authentic feel of the tile, tradewind will help the space feel updated. I would also get a simple textured white shower curtain, no pattern, you do not want to fight with the tile.

I would also put some update harware!

This is how tradewind looks in a room.

0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 2:37PM
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I TOTALLY agree with Split Rock. Keep the plaster in tones of the tile!!! If you have a standard size vanity, Home Depot has great graite tops that are very subtley toned & well priced by Pegasus. I would use iron hardware on the cabinets.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 2:46PM