Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
center entrance colonial and the modern day
Melley Nelson Design
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
we have your standard Center Entry Colonial with the livingroom front to back on one side. The fireplace is on the exterior wall with two windows to either side. SO with no family room, where DO you put the tv. There are many lovely projects here but none in such a boring old livingroom.... above the FP seems too high, want to do built ins on the front wall, but with a centered on the FP seating arrangement, it puts the TV about 14' from the couch seat.... if you have pictures, I'd love to see your solutions. Thanks in advance houzz people!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Judy M
Have your tried a corner cabinet for the TV? Perhaps the front left corner. So hard to fit the new technology into these older tradtional homes.
January 21, 2013 at 4:34PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Could you repost that drawing with dimensions?
January 21, 2013 at 4:49PM   
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
Ok, here are the room dimensions. Originally I wanted a sectional but the smallest (110x110) still puts the seat about 14' from the front wall where I had originally intended on puttng a 48-50 diag tv in a built in shelving above hide-everything cabinets. Sectional or not I can't ignore the FP AND the only entrance to the room. AND the narrowness of the room and whatever else that makes anything but above the FP an option. Thanks for asking, I do appreciate it.
January 21, 2013 at 5:31PM   
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
smaller image here
January 21, 2013 at 5:33PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Have you tried a sofa on one side of the FP and two chairs on the other side? Place TV on wall directly opposite the FP.
January 21, 2013 at 5:36PM   
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
thats what we have now. Probably will leave it like that but the kids really want a sectional for movie night....
January 21, 2013 at 5:53PM   
PRO
If they are old enough, get them to draw the room out in 1/4" scale and have them show you how they would place a sectional in the room. They can get the dimensions of furniture off various websites that sell furniture. It will be an interesting project for them. Then, when they draw one they like, please have them post it so that we can see if they've actually left space enough in various directions for things to work well.
January 21, 2013 at 5:58PM   
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
Done that. I drew up the plans, drew up the sectionals on trace and blocked out the possible built ins..... still stuck. it is what it is.
January 21, 2013 at 6:00PM   
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
I was just hoping others that have the same layout may have some solution. But old houses do not lend them selves.
January 22, 2013 at 5:36AM   
PRO
Tell the kids they can have a small sectional, the kind with a chaise on the end. I've drawn it for you below. The size of the sectional is critical so please do not buy one longer than 96". Please let us know what you decide to do. Others will be interested, along with me.
January 22, 2013 at 7:29AM   
mmilos
I love Carolyn's floor plan drawings!
January 22, 2013 at 7:36AM     
PRO
Melley Nelson Design
Carolyn, that's very similar to what we have now.... but the chaise is a great add! Its a rationalization I can work with. Thank you so much!
January 22, 2013 at 7:41AM   
PRO
You are very welcome! You even have space for ottomans for those chairs if you remove that little bench in front of the FP.
January 22, 2013 at 8:49AM