Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Designing Living Room
ksullivan088
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are finally able to buy new furniture for our living room but we are stumped as to what to buy. Here are a few of the things we are thinking about doing:

-Put the TV above the fire place. Should we do this??? Best space saver??

-We are going to save the one chair in the photo and buy another one as well. My husband's only request is that he have a recliner. I have back problems and that chair fits me the best so we will have two recliner chairs. We were thinking of pairing them with a couch and a love seat....

-We also want to paint the walls a lighter color to lighten the room. The room can get really dark. So we were thinking of painting all the walls a light cream and then maybe the fireplace wall a bright color like green or yellow. I found this pillow and I want this to be the inspiration for the room. Suggestions?

-We want to maximize seating space. The room really only has two walls to work with. Currently we can only seat 5 people. That needs to change!

The space opens up to front door entryway. How can we keep the room feeling open but have a good amount of seating?

Also focal point? Should It be the fireplace wall??

Thanks for helping!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
carole
love the fireplace as it is!!!and the colors on the cushion are fabulous,a very good mix of colors to help put it all together!!could you mount the tv on the wall that opens to the entry way,then position the 2 recliners opposite the tv,you could put what is currently the tv table inbetween the chairs with the lamp, and the settee on the right along the line of the carpet,and the loveseat(pick a color from your cushion,bleu?)on the left at an angle and put the glas table behind it with a lamp to light out that corner.you could reposition this furniture now to find out how big or small the new ones can be to still keep an open room,
i would leave the wall with the fireplace as is and paint the other walls a soft white,hope this will help you
January 21, 2013 at 5:13PM     
carole
have just seen your other post about the hallway,i think now that it would work better if you place the tv on the opposite wall to my first suggestion and the settee on that wall,and switch the piano and the love seat,make both spaces one room,you will need the walkway open ofcourse but what i think keeps the space from moving on is the different flooring?is the carpet fixed or could you change that?
January 21, 2013 at 5:59PM   
collettec
I agree with carolesch that with this area adjoining the entry it would help to have flooring all the same. I would consider going with two matching recliners one side of the room. A sofa in one of your accent colors facing the fireplace and a loveseat, perhaps in a print fabric including the same color as your recliners on the other side of the wall. I would paint the cream color you mentioned, place the television above the fireplace and get colorful valances or a cornice, with some relationship to your inspiration pillow colors for over the windows to add some color on that wall. I wouldn't have that wall as an accent wall. Some great art you love on the walls and perhaps a coffee table with an interesting texture, perhaps a rustic lighter wood color.
January 21, 2013 at 6:20PM   
mothergoosemc4
the fire place wold be a great spot for TV if you never use fire place. heat rises. Make the clock a coffee table. there is a "horse shoe" couch at Gallery furniture in Houston TX they deliver all over the world. put it where the light chair is to use the space between rooms. It seats four and would make the room appear larger, round clock table in front of it. chair in far corner where lamp is. TV little larger on wall opp-sit of horse shoe in "box Frame" fined an old buffet table and convert it for ET systems, mirror over fire place at great for spying on kids or seeing the door. plants or fakes in corner of other window. wall track lighting. Basket between chair and horse shoe. " wall Art" Kids foot prints and hand prints on canvas in colors of the hard wood floor or something out of a memory box pro matted can make anything look important or pricey ,on wall opposite of TV. total cost about with horse shoe and new TV about 2300 to 2800 depending on how much you do your self. great space. Jack and Jill the man cave experts or mom cave.
January 21, 2013 at 6:47PM   
mmilos
Don't mount the TV over the fireplace. It looks like it'll be way too high to view comfortably.

Get a large media console and put it on one of your long walls. I would put in a sectional along the opposite wall and float a lounge chair in the room.
January 21, 2013 at 7:05PM   
mothergoosemc4
Sorry it took so long, as to the rug look at the hand woven wool rugs. I have one I got on line for 3000 out of India made from my design you can get them here in us allot cheaper with kinda stock prints and colors. they add a nice texture and often have accent colors you can pull out of then. I like then wool cause you can roll it up and get them dry cleaned they wear really well with kids. we have had mine for 6 yrs now through 2 teens and there friends. Not to mention my husband. the colors are as bright as the day we got it and I have only one fey spot where a wild rabbit chewed through the thread, that was our son.
January 23, 2013 at 7:33AM