powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Anyone have any experience refurbishing an outdated brick fireplace with stone veneer tile?
texasrancher
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The house was built in 1985, and as you can see, the fireplace is HIDEOUS! We would like to update it by using veneer brick tiles to give it a rustic stone fireplace. Anyone done this, and if so, was it relatively easy to do? We've already changed the firescreen from the dated antique brass to an oil rubbed bronze, and although a huge improvement, not enough to hide the obvious outdated fireplace.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjktsd
I don't think your brick is dated but you do need to get rid of the doors. That dates the fireplace. Maybe a custom made iron door or a decorative screen. Good luck.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 5:59PM
houssaon
I am dubious that a brick veneer on brick will make it look better. There is brick structure holding the mantle that you would either have to chip off or veneer over.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:12PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Are you doing stone veneer over the brick or a brick veneer? Either is installed the same way. It isn't easy if you are not a very good DIY'er It costs about $18 psf. to have it installed.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:18PM
mothergoosemc4
leave the structure in place. in space of the old fire pit put in electric fire place inset into the open space. ox blood barn wood from mantel to ceiling . liquid nail medium sized river rock( you can get it by the truck loads from concrete companies for 200 to 300 a load.) then fill in spaces with brown grout
no fire hazards and will cost around 500. for total restore on all close to 2500 to 5000. or same with electrical replace and vinyl stone siding over lay. or river rock the whole thing with about two feet on floor to give "old world' look.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:23PM
texasrancher
Thank you everyone - to clarify - the screen has been replaced, and I would like a stone veneer over the brick for a more rustic look. We will save the solid wood mantle, and chip the brick brackets out to make it flush. We are good at DIY, have tiled showers, floors, backslashes, but have never taken on something like this, or worked with stone veneer tiles.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:37PM
PRO
Brothers Custom Works
Thanks for following us on Houzz. Did you solve this fireplace issues? (6 months since you posted)

You can install cultured stone over the brick, and if you have other areas for cultured stone, the economy of scale should put your cost for a cultured stone overlay at $10.50 - $15.00 per square foot.
0 Likes   July 16, 2013 at 4:00AM
PRO
MS Colours Inc
You can also create you own stone by using texston Tuscany or Terra over the brick.
0 Likes   July 16, 2013 at 4:21AM
PRO
North Star Stone
Have you finished the fireplace? Would love to see it! :)
0 Likes   July 16, 2013 at 9:05AM
PRO
MS Colours Inc
We have completed some hoods and fire places like that. We are going to be doing a more another fire place in Charlotte NC in within the month and I will forward this picture to you also.
0 Likes   July 16, 2013 at 3:06PM