Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entryway Help
ksullivan088
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This space I awkward and I do not know what to do with it.

Where should I place the bookshelves and piano?

What should I put on the walls?

How to fill the space of the wall to the right of the front door?

Should I add seating or other pieces of furniture?

Thanks for the help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angryredhead
Maybe butt the bookcase and the piano together (back to back) and float them in the center of the room at a diagonal with a comfy chair in one corner for a cozy reading nook?

And go from there as far as decoration.

Hard to say not seeing the rest of the space.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 5:33PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It's a lovely area that just needs something to invite you into it. And that would be a comfy chair and ottoman, plus a small side table and floor lamp. It's a reading corner/ music room! I would remove the rug from under the piano and add a larger rug, approximately 6 x 9', angled on the whole area.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 5:53PM
Jayme H.
The bookcase seems too large for that particular wall perhaps. Could it be put in another room? A few ideas for the entry wall.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 5:54PM
carole
ksullivan088 also have a design dilemma called ;need help with designing livingroom,this space is adjacent to this hallway it is all one space,so maybe it would help to check that out too
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:04PM
alchemyandirony
You could float a low, open bookcase just inside the door to create a faux wall. Because it's low and open, it would delineate a sense of separation between the door and the rest of the room without feeling heavy or claustrophobic. Strategically place interesting items on the shelves to lure in your guests. As for the existing bookcase, you could float it in the middle of the room. This would give the feel of a separate, cozy reading/music nook.

The Maldives wide bookcase looks interesting: http://www.homedecorators.com/Furniture/Bookcases/Open_Bookcases/
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:13PM
Darzy
I there room to slide to piano down, then flank the bookcases on the piano wall with a nice painting between. Then, a chair/ottoman with lamp and side table for your "library" space and music room. On the blank wall for the front door. A larger area rug in the center of the room would ground the reading space. I think a console table on the blank wall at the front door, with the mirror you have above it.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:30PM
PRO
Devine Designs
The challenge with both of these spaces right now is that they have no defined purpose. The piano and bookcases look like they are in what was designed to be a dining room. It looks like what I call a "bank robbery in progress" - you know, everything is up against a wall.

In order to give the piano room a sense of purpose and definition, I would add a much larger area rug that comes out into the room. That will enlarge the "room" since there are no walls defining the space. On the larger rug, place a couple of occasional chairs and a small coffee table. Now you start to create a sense of purpose. There is not enough light in that room - I would put a lamp on the piano.

The bookcases are too big for the space to the left of the window - move one of them to the empty entry wall and center the other one on the wall where both used to be. Now you need to do some accessorizing. There are too many books in those shelves. I'd remove at least half of them. Keep the ones that coordinate with the color palette in the room.

Speaking of color, from the photos it looks as if all the walls are beige. I'd love to see you introduce some WOW and drama into the space by painting the "piano" room walls with an accent color. I'm not sure what colors you have throughout the larger space, but a dramatic navy or plum would look spectacular! It will really make the molding POP! You can bring that accent color into the surrounding areas in your accessories like pillows, throws, artwork, etc.

I'd also like to see you add some swooping pulled-back drapes on either side of your corner windows. I realize that there are shutters on the windows but we need to add a layer of drama with pattern/texture/color.

It's too bad you don't have an electrical outlet on the entry wall because we could really use some ambient lighting. {Remember, the "rule" is as much light coming from the floor as from the ceiling"} You might want to remove one of the shelves and hang artwork or a mirror in the bookcase. Since there isn't an outlet, this is a perfect place to use battery-operated lights or candles. This will help add light to the space.

Relocating the shelf here also gives you a bit of space to have a basket or bowl for keys or a mail drop.

I like a foyer to tell a brief story about the people who live there. Among the books, places some family photos and momentos that will make for a much more interesting display than all those books.

Have fun!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:09AM
Sherry Mau
not sure if you have a mudroom or not but you could create a mini one there like i did in my home entrance.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 12:28AM