Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with our family room, please.
gidgie
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I wanted to have this room look cozy and inviting. The color is Ben Moore " Gray Cashmere". Need window help, also if we change furniture, what would you choose? We know this room can hold much more furniture or accents. Our TV looks lost and out of place, Help! What would do with the large window? We get alot of light from the windows and this slider door is an issue too, the kitchen table is positioned a few feet away. Our home is an open concept home.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
I think you could use some height in the room. How about an armoir type cabinet for the tv? Then, woven wood blinds for the windows. A warm wood coffee table would cozy the space as well.
A couple of stools or bench by the fireplace would a nice addition.

0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:37PM
gidgie
Thanks Darzy. Hoping to get this room moving soon. Wish I never gave away my armoire.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 7:07PM
Darzy
I think a bolder rug with a pattern would jazz the room up and cozy up at the same time.

2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:45PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love Darzy's ideas, and that photo of the armoire is fabulous with those baskets on top. It should be easy to find an old armoire these days as everyone is mounting their TVs on the wall or setting them on consoles...and yes, you could do that too if you want a more modern look.

Whatever you choose, I'd get the TV a little closer to the fireplace so that you can place 2 chairs in front of the big window with a table between them. The chair nearer the TV will probably not have a good viewing seat, but the other one will. The sofa will be a prime viewing spot, centered on the fireplace.

That rug Darzy found is PERFECT with your beautiful chair that has its back to the camera. To the left of the fireplace, facing the big window, you will have space for a couple more chairs, or perhaps a settee would be nice. I like the one below. It's not meant for TV watching...just for reading a book to a child, or enjoying a cup of tea.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 8:12PM
Leanne Lovie
I love your fireplace and the way you have that section decorated. I would look for a less industrial table for a tv stand that repeats the natural colors in your stone.
A taller armoire is a good idea. A slightly taller table than the one you have could work, but you would need something to make the area between the tv and ceiling look less bare. Wall art would work, but I kind of like the idea of a floating shelf with photos or something decorative on it. I'd do the window treatments in cream, like the color of the mat board in the picture over the fireplace or the jug holding branches.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:26PM
PRO
FurnitureNYC
Yeah, you have a big living room! Nice! If you want to add a bit of comfort, then I suggest you add a sectional sofa and wall unit. Something like this: http://www.furniturenyc.net/product/angel-chenille-brown-sectional-sofa http://www.furniturenyc.net/product/metro-comp-m3
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 1:21AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would actually leave the existing blinds they look like there in great condition .However I would recommend adding some Decorative drapery panels on the large window . As for the smaller window and the patio I would suggest a Mock Roman Valance it will really brighten up the space and give you a more finished look.
I have attached 2 links below to give you a better idea of what i mean.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html
https://www.google.ca/search?q=mock+roman+valance&rlz=1C1CHMC_enCA397CA398&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=hPX_UMXLFKjj2QWnz4DYCA&biw=967&bih=951&sei=hvX_UMWtEq322AW194GYBA#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&rlz=1C1CHMC_enCA397CA398&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=+roman+valance&oq=+roman+valance&gs_l=img.3..0i5j0i24l3.14751.14751.0.14890.1.1.0.0.0.0.79.79.1.1.0...0.0...1c.1.wt9ahoRVrCM&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.b2I&fp=ca190458b3b39caa&biw=967&bih=951
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:37AM
gidgie
Thank you to everyone who responded ! I truly can invision your suggestions making my windows and room look more like "us". We were "stuck" in a rut, thanks for reaching out. I will post before and after's someday when the room is complete.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 8:44AM