Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can I paint counter too?
dingette
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our counter top for the vanity is only a few years old, I'm just looking to lighten it up. Is there any CHEAP way to do it without replacing it? Like painting it, or something?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rontiki20
I believe Rustoleum has counter top transformation kits. They range in colors but take a time commitment to complete. Good luck!
January 21, 2013 at 8:10PM     
sonomamama
I think I might paint the vanity before I painted the counter. You could create some nice contrast with a lighter vanity.
January 21, 2013 at 8:21PM     
kathleen MK
Ok this is a crazy art teacher cheap trick but it's held up for years with just a few touch ups.
We bought an old 1970's house with chocolate brown cultured marble tub and vanities which clashed with top layer of 1980's pastel wallpaper. i got the epoxy tub paint and " whited out" the tub doing the week long sand, mix ,paint, repeat process. Then i decided appliance spray epoxy would stick on the vanity which didn't need to hold hot water like the tub. I could blend colors using a technique from a British faux finsh book I had read. So I sprayed patches of white and biscuit and light gray and used plastic grocery bags to dab or rag a faux marble texture. More like limestone really and i let the brown show through in places. This temporary fix was just to keep me from going crazy from my color sensitivity only until we could replace the ugly stuff but it's been ten years. Since the colors are mottled I can touch up with any of the colors but I've only had a couple scratches.
looking at your picture, if you lightened the countertop that tile backsplash would stick out. they could be epoxyed too. Or you could tile the counter.
If you have never tried faux finish or sponge painting test techniques on scrap cardboard to get a feel for it.
Hope this makes sense.
January 21, 2013 at 9:01PM     
hockey456
Paint the ca
January 21, 2013 at 11:50PM   
hockey456
Paint the cabinet white. I don't think you'll ever be happy painting the counter top.
January 21, 2013 at 11:52PM     
onthefence
I know all things are relative, but it looks like that is a fairly straight forward run of countertop and may not be that expensive to replace.

Take your measurements and head to HD or Lowes and get a price on a Formica replacement. Or, if you have granite suppliers near you, head to one of them. Many carry prefabed granite tops.

The painting ideas probably won't work long term and you'll have spent a lot of time and a decent amount of $$ to get something that didn't last.
January 21, 2013 at 11:57PM     
onthefence
Alternatively, as others have suggested, paint the cabinet white and add white molding around the mirror to frame it. Add some bright white baskets or containers on your vanity top for the items in the corner.
January 22, 2013 at 12:00AM   
Aja Mazin
kathleen MK,

Would this work on "enamel" or acrylic vanities from the 70's???

by vanity, do you mean sink?
January 22, 2013 at 12:14AM   
Aja Mazin
Rustoleum counter top transformation kits.take 3 - 5 days and you can not breathe the fumes.

I was staying at Executive Suites and I had to change rooms before the counter in the bathroom was done.

One whiff from my new suite on another floor and I checked out.
January 22, 2013 at 12:22AM   
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Rustoleum is a easy fix to your needs.
January 22, 2013 at 1:02AM   
Aja Mazin
If you paint, use Giani.

gianigranite.com
January 22, 2013 at 2:19AM     
More Discussions
Steam shower
I am at very early stage in deciding on remodeling...
contrasting colored wood floors
I need to replace an off-white vinyl in my kitchen,...
What type of border needed for tiling stairs?
We are planning on taking the wood look porcelain tile...
Wood Ceiling
This is our family room. I love the wood ceiling but...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.