Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my kitchen and breakfast area
dsandoval31
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I like Mediterranean and traditional style. I am keeping the cabinets tho. I need ideas of color and design ideas. Please help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi dsandoval31!
When I think Mediterranean, I instantly think of warm, rich colors. You said you are keeping the cabinets, and they seem to be in good condition, but what about the counters? A new counter in a warm orange/red or a deep brown would be gorgeous, and create a nice contrast to all the other light surfaces. Below are some combinations of different counter surfaces, paint colors, and glass tile mosaic designs from our site to serve as ideas and inspiration. Good luck with your renovations!
January 22, 2013 at 7:36am     
mmilos
Replace the floor with warm terra cotta, Spanish tiles. Soapstone countertops and a tiled backsplash with teal colored accent tiles.
January 22, 2013 at 7:50am     
Jayme H.
Here are two idea...white kitchen has a different colored island..this room could also have a little more color added in, such as colored backsplash!
January 22, 2013 at 8:03am   
intoit
The Spanish tiles on the floor would warm up the room and give it some depth of rich color. I would remove the wood valance over the kitchen window too as it does not seem to fit with the style you like. You might also want to change the hardware to compliment the look. Since you have black appliances I think mmios is right that a soapstoen countertop would work.
January 22, 2013 at 8:06am   
Norma Sassone
I agree on brown or tan for counter top; love the back splash shown above; for a mediterranean look the walls need to be a warm gold or rich green.
January 22, 2013 at 8:31am   
PRO
Techno Kitchen Refacing
You have quite a big kitchen, you can work with any colors you want since it will not make the space seem smaller. I would definitely change the hinges to European style, its more of a clean look. Also you can stretch your cabinets all the way up (before the bulkhead) to give you more emphasis on the look your going for. New backsplash would definitely add to your vision. Since you are keeping your cabinets, we offer services such as keeping your existing boxes and replacing your doors, putting real wood veneer on all your exposed areas, as well as doing the European hinges. The cost is very low compared to building a new kitchen from scratch. Please look into our website for further description http://technokitchenrefacing.com/refacing.asp If you have any further questions please dont hesitate to email or contact me directly. Thank You
January 22, 2013 at 8:33am   
movethisnotthat
Houzz has some wonderful idea with pictures I'll try to add a few here for you. Just a few changes and I think you'll have the look you want. the ceiling fan could/should be replaced, backsplash added, paint to the center island (if you want alittle more drama) rugs and accessories will help with the space. And removing the wood valance over the sink will help.
January 22, 2013 at 8:47am     
movethisnotthat
notice light colored floor, light fixtures, cabinet stains these are all from the houzz mediterranean pages
January 22, 2013 at 8:58am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Before I would change the floor and other expensive ideas, I would paint the walls and the sides going into the tray ceiling a Mediterranean red similar to SW 6600 Enticing Red (or another darker yellow tone red). I would then change the ceiling fan to a black iron, simple chandelier. Next tile the ceiling of the tray with wonderful, colorful Spanish/Italian..painted tiles, completely fill it in. Finally accessorize with large painted/colorful oil jars on the floor, etc. etc. etc. Not to expensive, not too difficult.
January 22, 2013 at 9:25am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
In the breakfast area, even thought we cannot see it, I would include a large rug and use painted furniture with maybe a great pattern on the chair seats, and some wrought iron on the walls.
January 22, 2013 at 9:27am   
Jayme H.
Here's a few of my favorites
January 22, 2013 at 10:25am     
Jayme H.
And one more, this one is awesome
January 22, 2013 at 10:53am     
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
Saltillo Terracotta tile would be a great addition to this kitchen, especially if you like the Mediterranean style. At Rustico Tile and Stone, we offer 3 different finishes, all of which look great in an all-white kitchen. Check out our ideabooks and website at www.saltillotileconnection.com. We offer affordable wholesale pricing and we ship all over the world. Here are a few examples of what Saltillo can look like in a white kitchen:

1.) Traditional Terracotta Finish
2.) Manganese (Darker) Finish
3.) Antique (reclaimed terracotta) finish
January 31, 2013 at 12:56pm   
onthecoast1
I would darken the floors substantially, darken the countertops, and put color on the walls. On the cheap, you could just lay down some rugs, paint the walls, and have a darker patterned formica installed over your existing countertops. I love green walls with white cabinetry and Jayme H posted a pic with a beautiful shade of green on the walls.
January 31, 2014 at 11:04pm   
More Discussions
Ensuite shower floor replacement
I need to replace the tiles in our shower floor due...
Which layout is better for our master bedroom ?
Because we are moving to a new house we decided we...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Curb Appeal for a Brick Rambler
Hey Everyone! My hubby and I just bought this brick...
Best Iron?
I find myself AGAIN in need of a new iron after dropping...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.