Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need idea on pathway leading from main door to house entrance
rajeshbansal
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi we have a pathway cutout from parking lot that leads from our house main entrance to main door ( pic attached).As soon as one enters the first main entrance there is a small space for lawn on right and this pathway then leads to main entrance of house.

look forward to your inputs on how to make this pathway , the structures covered with blue poly bags on right are actually statues carved out of sand stone
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
This one picture doesn't show where the path is, or grass area, or where you want to put a path.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:17PM
rajeshbansal
Dear Darzy thanks for prompt response hope attached picture will make it clear if still a better picture required do write back
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:57AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Goodness, you DO have a dilemma! If there were sunlight under there I'd say to put a row of potted plants, leading the way, with perhaps a formal sign with an arrow and "Entry ahead" on it. I don't think that breadcrumbs will work. Have you considered moving the entrance to a more identifiable location?

Okay, well having processed some thoughts now, I'd say that you need to replace the pathway tile with a tile of a totally different color and size. Then I would make the sign a bronze one that looks formal and that is lighted so that people can read it at night. You'll also need lighting along the pathway.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:18AM
Darzy
I see now. I think a natural stone, slate tiles, installed on the diagonal (to make the path look wider) would look nice and complement the concrete. I hope there is at least 3 feet (4 feet wide would be better) from the stone ledge to the edge of the concrete "line". Slate hides dirt well, and is an attractive stone, and is somewhat rough service to keep it from being slippery. I would do a "tobacco" color grout so dirt will be hidden there as well. I would also recommend keeping the path the same width the entire way, to make it obvious that it is a path, instead of a decorative border to the parking area.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:29AM
Darzy
PS..I think uplights on the sand stone sculptures would brighten the area and also provide a focal point space for the pathway.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:31AM
rajeshbansal
Dear Carolyn, Darzy thanks for inputs if you could help me with some reference picture will be of immense help
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:32AM
Darzy
@Carolyn Albert...hello there. How are you?! Have you noticed that Interiors International Inc and I have been "talking" about you? We both agree you are an amazing designer.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:32AM
rajeshbansal
Actually want to know " How to install on diagonal "
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:35AM
Darzy
Here is a picture of a home entry way with slate installed on the diagonal. They even put a "straight" border around it (one tile cut in half) to give it an "area rug" look. I like that idea for your space also. Maybe 3 tiles wide, but add 6 inch border around the path. This would make the path about 4 feet wide.

0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:40AM
PRO
I like Darzy's idea of laying the tile on the diagonal. Here's another photo of tile installed on the diagonal. Any tile layer will know how to do it.

Darzy, I have not seen your conversations with International Interiors, but I thank you both profusely! Houzz just gave me an Award of Merit! Maybe your kind words contributed toward that. Many thanks!
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 12:08PM
PRO
Darzy mentioned spotlights for the sculptures which would also help light the way into the house. They could be similar to the ones shown below, or you could mount them in the ceiling.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:15PM
Darzy
Congratulations Carolyn on your Award of Merit. You deserve it!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:13PM
PRO
Thanks! I was very pleased to get it.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 2:17PM
rajeshbansal
Dear Darzy , Carolyn thanks a. It for your inputs at least have some idea on how to go for final execution will be really thankful to you both if you could also suggest me how to cover up electricity meters spoiling elevation of my house

Check the area just under the AC unit
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:49AM
PRO
Landscaping can come to your rescue with a tall shrub. Or below are two clever ideas. Creative Outdoor Solutions John & Nina's
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:24AM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Hi, here are some potential ideas!... sounds like you have an exciting project! I cannot wait to see the sandstone sculptures and walkway you create.

1. straight pathway with stones

[houzz=Grass Terraces]

2. retangular pathway with stones

[houzz=Sunol Landscape]

3. staggered pathway with stones

[houzz=Manly House]

4. squared offline pathway with square walkway pads

[houzz=Exteriorscapes]

This is from and idea book I created on my page. See more in
Landscape Ideas, my page.
1 Like   April 28, 2013 at 6:56AM
rajeshbansal
Hey Arlene thanks for such wonderful ideas wish to know what material or stone is there in staggered formation
1 Like   April 29, 2013 at 10:46AM
PRO
Thanks, Rajesh! The stone in the staggerd formation looks like stone, real stone from a quarry yard. You can go to a local landscape supply company and the can supply real stone if you ask. Sometimes it is slate, sometimes it is bluestone. You can ask. The other pictures looks like they are concrete poured pavers.
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 4:27PM
rajeshbansal
Also if you could post link of your idea book ( mentioned earlier) as I was not able to locate the same
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 6:46PM
PRO
Hi Rajesh, Here it is!.. thanks!

0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 6:53PM