Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dog is eating the cat's food.
lesliejan
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a dog and two cats. The cats don't eat their food all at once. I need help with a configuration in which I can feed the cats without the dog reaching their food. I don't have any available high counter space but I do have this crazy desk contraption where we've barricaded the food from the dog. Ugly! Help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thislittlehouse
Install a high shelf that the cats can jump up on to eat. You might need to put them up there a couple times til they get it. Either that or train the dog. :)
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:14AM
midmodfan
A friend feeds her cats in the laundry room. A kitty flap in the door prevents the dogs from getting into that room.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:40AM
sheriss
We have two kitty doors. One in the laundry room door and one in the garage door. Cats go through the laundry room into the garage for their food and litter pans. The dog can't get through the doors
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:02AM
creeser
My daughter and her hubby bought a timer feeder. It releases the dry food at certain times of the day. They bought a small end table and put it in the laundry room and set it on that. I used to put my cat food in the laundry room and a baby gate across the doorway. Easy for the cats to get in, but not the dog.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:13AM
curacaoblue
I second the kitty door so that the dog cannot access the room with their food. We bought a house with one on the master bathroom door as that's was where they kept the litter box. We don't do that but we haven't replaced the door yet bc it's not noticeable and its cute watching our cats walk in and out of the flap. If you have basic white contractor doors they are cheap to replace so don't worry about resale.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:54AM
Sigrid
Feed the cats at a set time per day (or twice a day), set a timer for 1/2 hour and remove the food when the time is up. The cats will learn to eat when food is available and you can keep the dog out of the room at the times.
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 9:51AM
Sigrid
It helps if the timer ticks, so they are reminded of the time passing.

Your cats won't be happy for a week or two, but they'll figure out the new regime. I had a fussy eater who had a starving street cat move in. Fussy Eater wasn't happy, but she figured out that Starving Street Cat would gobble down all available food in 30 seconds flat and adjusted. Starving Street Cat gained needed weight, but Fussy Eater didn't lose any.
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 9:59AM
PRO
Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
High tech is the ONLY answer! Get an app for your phone to monitor the dog and cats locations. Then when it is acceptable AND the cats want to eat open a motorized door that will also prohibit the dog from entering. Continue to monitor the activity with your app to know when to close the door. Well, hope this helps... just kidding... could not resist... it's Friday :)
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 12:37PM
hatetoshop
If you're willing to keep the desk contraption you have now, why not paint it, then add a partial sliding door on the bottom (that only the cat can fit through). Perhaps take the back off of it so it doesn't get too stuffy. But cat doors to the laundry, basement or whatever are probably your best bet. I think timing the cats' eating would be a bit of a pain.
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 12:45PM