Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with choosing grout colour.
janne
January 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
These tiles will be behind my vanity with a polished chrome faucet coming through the wall over the sink. So what colour grout do I use?
They appear silver not clear they have a backing that makes them look silver.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I'd do a soft white - something very non-descript so that the beauty of the tile shows through.
January 21, 2013 at 11:06pm     
janne
Thanks so much for your help. Can I ask one other question? As these tiles are on one small wall the rest of the powder room will be a very soft beige pink gloss tile. I can match grout to that tile but should I do it all soft white so you notice the pink in the tile or match it so the walls just look beige?
January 22, 2013 at 1:26am   
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Do as Marie suggested , T.Y Marie .
January 22, 2013 at 2:02am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi janne!
To help you visualize what your tiles will look like with different colors of grout, you can use our custom tile designer! Below are images from our tile designer that I made using tiles very similar to yours, with different colors of grout. We also sell every color of grout found in our designer. Here is a link to the designer so you can play around for yourself. http://www.susanjablon.com/designer/mosaic-designer.html. Also, make sure to use UNSANDED grout vs. SANDED grout. Your tiles are a type of mirror tile, and sanded grout will scratch them. Hope this helps!
January 22, 2013 at 6:46am     
janne
Thanks everybody I have chosen a soft white.
January 22, 2013 at 3:11pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
If the area is small, consider clear caulk. It's a bit tricky to put on but it eliminates the grout grid look and allows the beauty of the mosaic that attracted you in the first place to remain unaffected.
January 22, 2013 at 3:58pm     
janne
Thanks for this info. If the grout was clear would you see the tile glue behind it?
January 23, 2013 at 1:35pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
No. Be sure to tell your tiler that you want to use a clear (not translucent) caulk (it goes on white and cures clear). He will have to be sure he uses a white thinset and keeps the joints clean while installing the tile. He may not like the idea at first but if the area is small it will not add too much additional time to the installation and the outcome will be well worth it.
January 23, 2013 at 3:02pm   
stealman8
Janne, where can I find these tiles? I like them for a backsplash in my kitchen. Would you have a website? I'm in the US.
Thanks, Wally
January 23, 2013 at 5:49pm   
janne
Hi, I live in Australia but I can contact the tile supplier and ask them the makers name and leave a further reply if you wish. There is nothing written on the box but If I get the name you should be able to find somebody that can get if for you there. Will contact tile shop tomorrow. They will be imported from somewhere.
January 24, 2013 at 12:22am     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
stealman8, we have basically the same tiles on our website: susanjablon.com. We don't have a mosaic blend exactly like the one pictured, but we have the individual tiles, and you can combine them in your own way using our mosaic designer: http://www.susanjablon.com/designer/mosaic-designer.html. The tiles themselves are different types of silver mirror tiles. We also carry tiles of this same type in lots of different colors. You can call or email our studio for any assistance.
January 24, 2013 at 6:54am   
Natalie
Soft white or Whisper gray unsanded grout... :) White thinset...
January 24, 2013 at 6:58am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Janne, if you're having these professionally installed, you should ask his opinion about how to attach these tiles to the wall, but we recommend either using mirror mastic or a latex modified thin set over a standard mortar.
January 24, 2013 at 7:42am   
PRO
My Tile Backsplash
Also, take a look at Bostik Reflective Grout Color Diamond...It is a soft white with reflective glass beads in the grout for even more of a sparkle! http://www.mytilebacksplash.com/starglassdiamond9.aspx
January 25, 2013 at 11:46am     
janne
Thanks will look at this also.
January 25, 2013 at 12:53pm   
PRO
movenready properties, LLC
I would use a soft white as mentioned above or light gray. Lovely tile by the way!
January 25, 2013 at 1:05pm   
janne
Hi,
I have tried to find out the name of this tile but it is not anywhere all I can tell you is that it has on the box JMM-1 and in Australia it is distributed by DAB but I can't find a webiste. Have seen it in many stores but they don't give you any help thinking I will bypass them and buy the tile myself. Sorry.
Janne.
January 25, 2013 at 4:05pm