Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
To Dominant Garage
rovert_2
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small 19th century Cottage in Britain. It is not an unattractive place but the main approach is dominated by a garage that is out of scale with the rest of the Cottage, I would be interested in any tricks or re-modelling suggestions to reduce the impact or better integrate it with the main building. (It is actually a bit nicer that than the photos suggest - nothing looks too good when photographed in the pouring rain)

B
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rovert_2
Another view
January 22, 2013 at 3:57AM     
wmpj
I would suggest finding a paint color that is either the same color that is on your house or a shade darker. The garage stands out now because it is so much brighter than your house.
January 22, 2013 at 4:24AM     
rovert_2
Thanks wmpJ, But the 19th century part is Granite, it would not be desirable to paint it, it does have a 70's flat roofed extension which is painted the same colour. here is a different view.
January 22, 2013 at 4:42AM   
wmpj
Is it the corners of the garage and house that are granite? What is the rest of the garage made of? I'm not suggesting you paint the granite just the rest of the garage to match the granite.
January 22, 2013 at 4:50AM   
PRO
Dutchess Overhead Doors
I think you should paint the tan stucco a color that is found in the brick or cornerstones, so it's darker and less dominant. You should also replace your overhead door with something that is more complimentary to your home. They make overhead doors that look JUST LIKE French doors, as well as doors made from wood or PVC (vinyl) that look like they swing out or fold, but still go up and down like a traditional overhead door. Feel free to look at my website in the gallery section to see what I'm talking about...
January 22, 2013 at 5:01AM   
rovert_2
Hi Wmpj, the 19th century bit is all granite, the extensions and garage are rendered block work with granite quoins.
Duchess, stucco = render I guess? at the moment the colour is a cream, the granite has pink tones but not too sure that pink would work too well in our Northern climes?. Excellent ideas about the doors and your website give a lot of food for thought.
January 22, 2013 at 5:14AM   
jjandhk
I agree with the other 2 posters.... a darker colour on the garage stucco and door will let it recede.
January 22, 2013 at 5:44AM   
Aja Mazin
Paint the garage a colour that approximates one of the colours in the granite on the 19th century cottage and the quoins on the garage.

Paint the garage door a single colour, a few shades lighter than the new paint colour.

And do not forget to paint the yellow wall .
January 22, 2013 at 5:46AM   
Aja Mazin
Could you put a granite facade [veneer] on the garage to match the granite on the house?
January 22, 2013 at 5:57AM   
rovert_2
Thanks everyone (and apologies wmpj i misread your first post). suggestions on the door are helpful, and I will see how much darker the masonry paint can go. The challenge will be finding a colour that helps with the front elevation, but does not affect the remaining elevations too much, Here is the rear elevation, where, to me, the colour is about right. Aja. that is a good idea, but it is now not possible to get Granite "blocks", the modern granite is much brighter and more random, I think it could look nice, but would still not do much to minimise the impact of the Garage
January 22, 2013 at 8:34AM     
wmpj
No problem rovert_2. I hope you find a solution that helps you. Now that I see pictures of the rest of the house, I see the dilema you face. You can't just paint the garage, you would have to paint the rest of the house that is covered in the same color. You could still pick one of the colors that's in the stone on the corner of the garage and it will look good. You could find a color that's not as light as what's on there now.

Another option may be to install lattice above the garage door and have it covered in vines which would eventually cover the front of the garage. You could also plant 2 tall slender trees in containers and place them on either side of the garage door.
January 22, 2013 at 9:49AM