Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need design and color ideas for my kitchen and breakfast area
dsandoval31
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I will be keeping the cabinets and floor. The breakfast area is very spacious. I will be adding 1 large picture window on each side. Any more ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Appliances Connection
This is a really beautiful kitchen. Since you already have all black appliances, I'd suggest a black fridge but you can afford to have a black and stainless steel mix too if you want to go for something a little different. Here are some examples from our site. I'm not sure what material your countertop is made of. i think a granite top would look beautiful, maybe in black as well? You could keep the kitchen traditional looking or change the handles on the cabinets for a more modern black and white kitchen. Here are some ideas.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 9:04AM
movethisnotthat
thought you were looking for
a mediterranean look, yet still traditional, same picture you posted earlier.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:10AM
mmilos
Oh, I see versus your earlier post that you want to keep the floor. If so, definitely paint the walls a contrasting color...your floors though look cool and gray -white tone, so you need a cool tone paint color, like a gray.

I would remove the dated cabinet valance above your window and have the crown moulding wrap the tops of your cabinets to the window.

Also, remove the crown moulding on your vent hood chimney and paint the chimney your wall color so it disappears.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:13AM
collettec
One option - if you want a more Mediterranean feel and are keeping the floors and cabinets, I would get countertops that have a warmer color, perhaps something like a richer terra cotta. Could use a lighter shade of the same for the wall and backsplash area, or do something different like a blue or blue green. Think you would then need to add a patterned rug to the area with the colors as well. Not sure if up to painting the cabinets or the island, that would open a lot more possibilities as to color options.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:32AM
dsandoval31
Definitely need to change color of cabinets.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:46AM
dsandoval31
I do need to buy new appliances and i will get stainless steel. My husband and I just bought this house and does need a lot of updating. I will be posting more pictures of the rest of the house. Thank you very much for giving us suggestions.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:52AM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, From the comments I've read here it sounds as though you are trying to go Mediterranean. If that's the case, I'd add texture to the backsplash, ceiling, and floors. Rustic finishes in warm medium tones. Venetian plasters, patterned tile, and honed stone tops will help.
There are alternative approaches though which would work nicely with what you already have there.
Contemporary/Transitional will work nicely. Bar stools in pale blue with silver nailheads. Silver hardware for the cabinets. A large flat weave area rug in blues & greens. Black iron chandalier over the table. Framed art. Simple textured linen window shades or match stick shades. Terra cotta vessles and containers. Succulents in pots.
*I've attached a picture here to indicate color scheme concept.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
Showcase Kitchens
You could play with the color of the back splash tile for a pop of color
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 10:07AM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
A corner of the Family Room we completed for clients in New Jersey
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
When does a garage stop being a garage and coverts to Finished space?
We have a small cape cod that was built in 1937. I'm...
Vanity Lights
We are remodeling our master bathroom and I found some...
Selection of rug
Need advice about size and color of the rug
Help my ugly little house
I know the landscaping needs help - I plan to go for...
removing kitchen tile floor without taking out cabinets
I've recently moved into a house that has tile floors...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.