We've been working on refreshing our family room which adjoins an eat in kitchen. The room is not large - 17'6" x 10'4" but has a corner fireplace, a large window, and a large entrance to the kitchen, limiting the useable space. So far we have replaced a loveseat with an armchair/ottoman combination, gotten a new rug and lamps. The sofa is being replaced with a new more streamlined one which is longer (see attached photo) in a dark green velvet. In addition we have a large screen tv on a media cabinet, and a corner computer workstation.
I need advice on where to go from here.
1)I need a new coffee table, preferably something long and narrow to anchor the couch, but I'm not sure about the style. I like the one we have, though it needs refinishing, but it won't work with the new couch.
2) I need some type of table/chest/console for next to the armchair that won't block too much of the window.
3) I need storage to accommodate the kids' (and hubby's) assorted paraphanalia.
4) I'd ideally like to get rid of the computer but that's not feasible. I would like to find some way of minimizing it's presence in the room though.
5) I'd like to have some means for displaying some decorative items. I could remove the photos from the fireplace mantel and use that space as I've been thinking of doing a photo gallery in the upstairs hallway.
6) I'm thinking about adding stationary side panels to the window to dress it up a bit but I'm not sure about fabric.
7) I'd like to replace the ceiling light fixture. I'd love pot lights but that would require ripping out the ceiling which I'm not prepared to do. The ceiling is the regular 8' height so I can't put anything that will hang too low.