Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help me with this living room please!
Trish
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just moved in. Couch and chair and rug are new. I can move the rug elsewhere if necessary. Do I need to paint the panelling and if so what color? Budget is 1000 dollars. How can I improve this room within this budget? Also, hubby wants sofa to stay in that spot. Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Trish
Here are some more pics
January 22, 2013 at 9:23AM   
Trish
And more
January 22, 2013 at 9:24AM   
mmilos
Sofa fits under the window and looks good.

Definitely paint the paneling (possibly a darker beige)...pull the color from the stone in your fireplace. It'll make the wood floors stand out more.

Update the sconces and ceiling fan - something in a black or dark bronze finish would look good and tie in your fireplace.

Also scrub the soot stains off the fireplace.

Larger art prints that pull in the reddish accent color to flank the fireplace...But go bold on the art...you don't want it looking too matchy-matchy and blah.
January 22, 2013 at 9:29AM     
John Seiffert
I would suggest adding two stage crown molding throughout room (mdf is cheap). Paint both Pickwick molding and louvered doors and trim. I will yield to others regarding colors.
January 22, 2013 at 9:37AM   
John Seiffert
2 stage cornice.
January 22, 2013 at 9:40AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I like the idea of adding crown molding. I would paint the wood wall and mantle, the closet louver doors all the trim color. Love the rug. Change the end table to something,black iron and glass top and taller just shorter than the arm of the sofa. Add another chair, a little smaller. Try moving the current chair & ottoman to the other side of the end table and angle into the room. If it is too large, move it back and purchase a smaller chair for this area. On the TV wall, I would install a large unit with a place for the TV, storage on the bottom and shelves above and to the right. Make sure this extends further down the wall toward the foyer area. Wall colo,r I would choose something NOT beige, a soft blue/gray or green/gray. But no more brown. Use wall color in patterned accent pillows on sofa Large art on paneled wall sides and something large & round over the fireplace..a framed mirror or large clock..but round. Also the chair near the fireplace needs a very small table on which to set a glass. 2 smallish square leather ottomans that can also be used as a table in front of the sofa. Wow, I'm out of breath. My best to you.
January 22, 2013 at 9:54AM   
esuoh2012
Firstly, congratulations on your new home! You're off to a nice start with two neutral furniture pieces with basic lines to build around. The bright orange throw is a nice pop of color. You might want to see about covering your existing throw pillows with a solid orange that matches the throw and some cream colored pillows as well. Don't be afraid of greys either. Don't be afraid to paint the paneling (primer first)and build a surround of shelving. If you're a DYIer this can be done for the cost of wood, glue, hammer, nails, paint (white) and some effort. Above the fireplace: remove the light sconces, move the TV over the fireplace and move the occasional chair and ottoman facing diagonally towards the fireplace on the wall where the TV is now. Move the rug over from the sofa so that it is better balanced in the room. Purchase side tables and lamps that are more to scale with your sofa. The existing side table has the wrong proportions. A drapery rod and panels will soften the window. Instead of a costly coffee table you can opt for a large upholstered storage ottoman or a pair of two smaller ones. You'll be surprised what you can find at Target, Homegoods, etc. Eliminate the ceiling fan or replace it with one more stylish and without the lights (your lighting will come from the lamps). Lastly, the wall where the TV is now and where the large chair is going to be, needs an important piece of wall art since this is a focal point when you enter the room. Good Luck!
January 22, 2013 at 10:12AM     
January 22, 2013 at 10:19AM     
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC

This is a picture of a redesign I did. The walls were all the same paneling as you have. It was everywhere. Looked very campy. We primed and painted the walls, windows and closets. It was a big job but the room looks great!

I agree with adding crown molding to your space and updating the lights. If you can you may want to enlarge the mantel. Adding some drapes and art above the fireplace would look nice!

Have fun with your new home!!!
January 22, 2013 at 10:53AM   
mveasey
Hi just saw that you have another post, for the living room.
What is your style in general? What colours do you like?
I saw in your dining room post a view to this living room and have to say I liked your furniture a lot, but yes I would definitely paint the panelling. Since you can see from room to room so easily, I would try to either repeat colours, or at least keep them similar or complementary. If you like the fireplace a lot, a stronger colour, even taken from the rug will bring out your fireplace more, if you want it to blend in, I would stay with a beige/taupe family, but be careful, not to make everything look to bland.
January 22, 2013 at 10:56AM   
More Discussions
Tiny bathroom
Need suggestions. 3rd floor bathroom of 100 yr old...
What is the secret to placing furniture in a long rectangular room?
Moving into a 1957 ranch home and have a long rectangular...
Pergola transformation!
We are about to sort out this area outside of our kitchen....
Need Help Choosing the Right Curtains!
I have a large log home and need help choosing the...
What does your entry say about you?
Do the spaces we live in tell a story about who we...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.