Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help updating guest room
lynnbw
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My guest room is full of antiques and outdated. I need ideas on how to update the room while keeping the furniture. Suggestions on window treatments, bedding, and accessories would be appreciated. I just want a fresh updated look.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sacapuntaslapioz
I love your bed, what a cool shape. also true of your other furniture. This is what I would do:
1.- remove swags. they scream old
2. find different bedding. I would do a textured white bedcover and pillows in slighty different shades of white/ creams
3.- re-upholster the chair in a knubby off-white fabric
4.- get luscious-looking silk curtains or velvet curtains in an off-white or pale beige color
5.- recompose your pictures in another wall. make a big arrangement of them. include the 2 in the silver frames
6.- find another rom to hang the plates
7.- get a rug in the same off-white/cream/beige rug
8.- the little lamp in the nightstand goes in the little table that has the silver pictures
9.- get 2 interesting shaped light fixtures in silver
[houzz=
8 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:19AM
PRO
Picture Perfect Windows
Either of these would be a nice update and go with that cottage look.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:27AM
PRO
Picture Perfect Windows
Cottage feel
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:58AM
claudiann
I love the color of the walls, the bed, and the plates. I would go for more of a beach cottage look. Use white gauzy curtains pulled back, change the bedding to a colorful quilt. Replace the tea cart and the chair with a wicker rocker and a whimsical table. I
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:27PM
lynnbw
Love these ideas. Am attaching another picture of the room and hope for more suggestions.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:14AM
michigammemom
jblake3, I wouldn't change a thing! Your charming guest room brings to mind an upscale bed & breakfast or a historical inn. Lovely and beautifully decorated.
3 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:17AM
sstarr
1. The ceiling fan with light looks dated, and dominates the room. I'd remove it, and replace with a ceiling medallion and fixture.
2. Remove the swags and heavy curtain rods. These are dated and non-functional. Replace with a second tier of the white wooden louvers.
3. Remove the framed photographs from the room. Move the plates which are currently over the bed, to hang between the windows. This will look fresh and different.
4. Remove the crib from the room. Although the room is basically overfurnished, this is the only piece that I think really must go; it's in the way of access to the bed, and visually crowds the (very nice) mirror and chair. In addition, your guests who do not have infants won't appreciate this antique.
5. Put a very pale off-white damask on the upholstered chairs, to lighten the dark feel of them.
6. Dress the bed in white sheets and quilt, with extra pillows, also white. Then, fold a bright quilt (either antique or new) across the foot of the bed.
7. I'd prefer the walls to be white
4 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:46AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would go with a Room darkening Roman Shade It will fit perfectly in the window .It will be modern and clean looking.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/roman-blinds.html
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:53AM
lynnbw
I love the helpful advice I am receiving! Could anyone give me a suggestion on the type of light fixture to use in place of ceiling fan?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:54AM
sacapuntaslapioz
here are some I think would be lovely
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:20PM
sacapuntaslapioz
some more. but I think once you remove the swags, the fan might not be the problem. I would, however change it to a fan operated by a switch. that pull chain is a horrible accident waiting to happen to a child, a dog or a cat, or even a careless adult. I agree the crib has to go and I would also remove the 2 little lamps in the dresser/ vanity top. I would move the tea table were that vanity/dresser is, open it to give guests a place to sit down and check e-mail, etc, flank it with the rocker and the gorgeous chair (both uphostered in the same knubby white/off white fabric and move the dresser/vanity to the wall in between the windows. I still think all photos might look better all together in a group.
[houzz=Photo collage][houzz=Gallery Wall[houzz=Living Room]
as for blinds/curtains, either go with pearly white silk or with a stripe
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:31PM
sacapuntaslapioz
Put a lamp in the tea teable, get some books for your guest, a tray for people to get jewerly off, your guest room will be indeed memorable.The walls could stay yellow, be an off-white such as linen white, or even go a warm blue or grey. Good luck and post pictures.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:32PM
fairviewbonnie
I love the very first posting where she suggested using creams and white tones with that bed. I see black in the railings, so maybe paint your chair black with some new fabric to match the new colors. Very nice room. The bed is beautiful and that needs to be the centerpiece of the room.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:42PM
lemiss
I would replace the window treatments with white flowing curtains. Also, add a solid colored comforter, rolled down towards the foot of the bed. Try a new flower arrangement (all one kind) on the nightstand.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 12:45PM
putter2
I like your cozy bedroom....but......you could paint the walls a VERY pale blue, paint your bed all white, remove swags, put poles up high (bamboo?) just under moulding and use upholstery-weight white curtains with some edging, fringe. Hang the bamboo blinds, with the top hidden under the pole.....let them down to just cover the window casing.....will give your room height,and look ike the windows go all the way up. Maybe a pn antique chest between windows with a mirror? Bigger, fatter bedside lamp....Pier 1 blue/white chinese jar made inti a lamp? Green or red shade?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:46PM
sacapuntaslapioz
I also wondered if you could move the bed to the opposite wall and use the dresser/ vanity as your second bed table.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:46PM
tinksama
I love all of the furniture. A major improvement would be replacing any floral fabrics. Swag curtains are uncommon today. The shutters are wonderful for privacy and they are window treatment enough by themselves, or they could also go with simple fabric panels (hang them high and wide to make the windows appear larger. The metal components of the ceiling fan could be spray painted a more modern pewter or nickle, and rehung. The brass door knobs and ornate mirror can also be spray painted. I agree that the bed is beautiful and should become a focus. Painting the walls a color that the bed contrasts against will help.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 1:42PM
putter2
In a small room, things need to be functional, and the little table in between the windows is not.. You could also use a nice little chest as a bedside table.....lighter, like mahogany or pine for all, not black.
A lightly patterned rug would be nice.....
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 1:48PM
2dogssashatess
I think you have got good advice already
(1) lose plates above bed
(2) get rid of the swag curtains
(3) move that dropside table ( between the windows) out of the room, too cluttered,
(4) lose the picture frame under the oval frame between the windows
(5) put the crib into storage
(6) get rid of everything on that lovely old dressing table
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:11PM
2dogssashatess
ceiling fan should go!!
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:11PM
putter2
Kind of like the 'English look' of the plates, but they might go on the outside walls of the windows, if there's enough room? A wonderful, restful painting over the bed.....but you could still do a few plates on either side!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:27PM
putter2
Agreed about the ceiling fan....blows the look you're going for....pardon the pun.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 2:28PM
2dogssashatess
I think the bed head is a major decorative feature of the room and the plates compete with that and make it look cluttered
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 2:36PM
putter2
Well, now I kind of agree with you........too busy.
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:37PM
sacapuntaslapioz
the bed could also go between the windows with the drop table at the other side, as bed table
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 3:46PM
janelinder
Beautiful mirror! Do you think you could remove the mirror over the chest and replace it with the mirror over the cradle? Just a thought.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 10:34AM
curacaoblue
I think you have nice stuff, the problem is that there is too much of it. I would decide which items to keep as there are currently too many. I agree that the fan and crib need to go along with the faux flowers. Simple bedding in a solid color will be more modern and wont go out of style soon. The furniture will look nice on a bolder wall like the blue one suggested above. The headboard is its own decor, the plates are overkill. I would also take down the shutters.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 10:43AM
lynnbw
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Here's where I am now. I am going to put white/cream sheer horizontal stripe curtains on windows. And a white or cream dust ruffle. I am also going to cover chair in cream knobby fabric. . I removed plates and all old pictures that were hanging on walls. I am going to take down the mirror over vanity and replace it with one on the other wall as suggested. (Great idea!)Now I need advice on what to put on wall between windows, what type of lamp for nightstand, and what else to put on bed if anything. And any other suggestions. It looks so much better already!
4 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:36PM
2dogssashatess
Yes, it looks much better already. Less is more. You have nice furniture and now the pieces are able to shine without the distraction of too much clutter
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 1:40PM
lynnbw
More pictures
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:40PM
michigammemom
Sorry, I disagree. The room now lacks personality.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:42PM
2dogssashatess
Michigammemom, jblake3 has not finished the room yet!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 1:49PM
2dogssashatess
Depending on your lighting conditions in the room, a maidenhair fern could look lovely on the bedside table. Add a lamp and bedside table would be done
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:51PM
2dogssashatess
check out the Laura Ashley range of bedside table lamps. You might find something suitable in their range
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:06PM
janelinder
Much better! The fresh white pillows on the bed are a nice addition to the room. Your other ideas sound good too. I can't wait to see the final result!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:08PM
sstarr
This is pretty exciting! I love seeing the design change in progress!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:09PM
curacaoblue
Wow! It's like a canvas. I still think painting the walls will make all the furniture pop but ultimately it's all about what YOU like and what appeals to you. It's probably easier to try things out now though. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 2:10PM
tennisanyone
Love seeing the changes.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:24PM
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 2:36PM
2dogssashatess
I like Mollys suggestion and you could have some blue and white pillows on bed, and perhaps do walls a pale blue
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:57PM
2dogssashatess
You could get some blue and white cushions for bed, in a toile fabric, maybe make the walls pale blue
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:03PM
Molly
[houzz=
]
4 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:11PM
putter2
O-o-o-o....I think it looks rather bland now. But blue and white sounds good for pillows. I still would like a mirror between the windows over a nice high chest. And a big at ceramic lamp in blue and white in the night table. Hang the small oval picture over the night table next to the lamp.....maybe a red/ coral pink pleated shade on the lamp. Still like the plates.......but I lean English.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:18PM
2dogssashatess
You do need to decide on a color scheme, ie will you repaint the walls and if so what color?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:24PM
2dogssashatess
If you like white and white as a color scheme, you can have blue and white lamp, white bedding with perhaps blue toile cushions, or you could get a blue or red toile duvet cover. Depends how much color you want in your bedding.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:26PM
lynnbw
All great ideas! I was thinking of leaving the walls yellow. But could paint them I guess. . I like the idea of blue as an accent color. Thanks for all of the suggestions and keep them coming!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:12PM
apple_pie_order
Pick some new bedding, then choose a color from the bedding for the walls.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:30PM
sacapuntaslapioz
looks wonderful already. very dreamy, makes me happy just looking at it.
I would put the dresser between the windows with its present mirror. put a little tray on top for jewerly, a little lamp. then the extendable table in front of the bed with the chair and the rocker, a lamp and some books. you want to have a table by the chair, to give guests a place to sit down, open the laptop, etc. the lamp you had on your night table was perfect.
keep posting pictures
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:39PM
lynnbw
The dresser is too wide to go between the windows, but good idea!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:43PM
sacapuntaslapioz
oh so much for that, then. I personally like the yellow. if you choose a blue lamp, and a blue pillow on the chair and maybe a blue bowl it will look very sharp and dreamy and romantic. I would still frame the dresser with a chair, because I do not like the current location of the chair. could you have the drop-side table on the same wall, maybe opening it up and using the chair as a desk? I think now days everyone needs a little desk or table in a guest bedroom. over the table think of grouping those great old pictures.
what is in your floor, I cannot tell by the pictures
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 5:59PM
lynnbw
Flooring is light tan colored waffle type carpet
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:09PM
olldroo
jblake - coming in a bit late here. It is lovely that everyone is flooding you with ideas but you do need to look at what YOU want for your room and your guests NEED.

It is easy for posters to say lose the fan, but how necessary is that in the room? Surely your guest's comfort comes before pretty decor. Many are pretty quick to say to lose the crib - it is absolutely gorgeous and fits in with the room decor beautifully, and if you do have guests with an infant then it is a very thoughtful addition to your room. Guests who don't, I'm sure will appreciate your thoughtfulness in having it there. This is a guest room not an hotel.

I would, however, look at replacing old family photos with artwork or more interesting photos for your guests - scenic photos or old photos of your area is a good start.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:49PM
Marti Lindsey
Keep the curtain rods, but move them to the ceiling. Add a toile or bold black & white pattern on the curtains, coordinate the bedding in black & whites. Pull in an accent color. I like the pale yellow wall color. Maybe add a mirror over the dressing table. Love the bed frame as is.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:55PM
lynnbw
Every comment is welcomed and appreciated!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:56PM
sacapuntaslapioz
lldroo, the old fan had a pull chain hanging over the bed. the potencial for tragedy far exceeds the comfort. a different fan, without a chain, would be fine.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:15AM
sacapuntaslapioz
this would be a nice one, if it were needed. Also I think the room could use a rug, and it would be a lovely place to add a blue accent.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:26AM
olldroo
yes sacapuntaslapioz, a new fan would be fine but getting rid of it altogether is another thing if it was needed. The point I am making is that so many commenters, not just here but on many posts, make judgements on face value without considering needs. Even suggesting colour schemes without knowing the lighting in a room or the aspect, even the location of a home is important as light varies so much from area to area. Sometimes I feel quite sad for posters who are generally struggling to get their home right, so do not understand all this, and follow advice or photos and then wonder why their home looks nothing like the picture or they expected it to.
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:33AM
apple_pie_order
olldroo: Safety standards have changed for cribs. The crib shown here is probably decorative, not functional. http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsandsafety/a/antiquecribs.htm
has a good summary and a link to the new regulations.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 8:33AM
mklinder
I would bring back the cradle! it gave the room a nice touch!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:30PM
mamachers
I am very late in the comments here, as I have just seen the room for the first time. I loved the room as it was except for the following. Wall color needed to be a deeper color and swag curtains replaced. Other than that it had so much character to it. Also reminded me of a bed and breakfast my husband and I visited.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:58PM
lepstein
I love the colour of your walls and the beginnings of your pared down look. I hope you are using the dresser, mirrors and oval picture (even if it is a family member). I agree that you need a picture arrangement to add interest. Thought the idea of the plates between the windows was a possible, depending on how much space is left once the drapes are up. Then, I would choose an accent colour that YOU like and dot it around - perhaps in pillows, accessories or pulled from a rug. Your side lamps should be more substantial than the original ones you showed -older style if you can find something you like. Perhaps a small stack of books on o e of the sufaces, or an antique magazine rack with current reading material for your guests. No fan unless absolutely needed. Your changes are already looking great. Looking forward to the final result.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:35AM
lynnbw
New pics. Any comments or suggestions? Not sure about lamp and need advice on what to put on dresser. Rocking chair is getting covered.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:00AM
carole
love the new look!!would use the lamp on the other side of the bed,its too small next to the vanity...now that its less cluttered i think you can bring back a cover for the bed,just that and find some cushions with a bit more pattern in the colors you have or maybe get different lamps,love the ceramic one in a pict above,and what style of art would you like or will you make art with pictures in sepia of family and friends? or landscapes
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 10:38AM
carole
just found a rug i would like with this look!!
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:09PM
lynnbw
Love your ideas! Trying to stick with neutrals, but agree I could use some pattern!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:18PM
nononanna
Swags are the biggest design element that should go, and the current fabric is not as pretty as the rest of the room. It is a little fussy, granted, so maybe get rid of a few things and have a coupld bigger art pieces - over the bed, woudl be perfect. ut other than that, it's a lovely inviting room so don't do too much.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:21PM
lynnbw
The yellow floral room has been redone. New pictures were posted today. Kind of confusing!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:45PM
2dogssashatess
well done it is looking much better. If you can afford fresh flowers, I think a lovely arrangement would be great on the dresser
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:56PM
janelinder
i agree with dogssashatess. A much bettter look but a fresh floral arrangement would make the room if you can afford it.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:52PM
2dogssashatess
Maybe a little maidenhair fern on the bedside table next to a table lamp. Something about the base of your current table lamp is not quite right to my eyes
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:18PM
curacaoblue
Wow! Great job so far!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:30PM
2dogssashatess
I think I would move the standard lamp close to the window. I am wondering whether the shade is a bit small and whether the lamp itself needs to be taller
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:57PM
lynnbw
I agree the lamp is not quite right. Will keep looking for a taller one with a more traditional base. Like the idea of fern on night table and fresh flowers on dresser.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:02PM
sacapuntaslapioz
jblake3, LOVE the changes. It will be stunning with the new fabric on the chairs. I would group all your lovely pictures to the left and right of the dresser, or do pictures on on side and plates on the other. Then on the vanity I like for guest bedrooms a tray or glass dish to take off jewrly and watches, a vase for flowers. I would bring pattern in a patchwork quilt or a quilt or throw in stripes. It looks wonderfully dreammy and serene, and your beautiful bed shines as the star.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 3:21AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I recommend Roman shades for the space . It will fit really nicely in the windows and you can add color to the room without adding to much bulk from drapery.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.htm
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:38AM
applejuice
I like the changes very much. The side table lamp looks good but the floor lamp does not seem to match. The entire room look is very clean and fresh!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 10:02AM
Susanna
Maybe this on the dresser? Lenox 22k-edged porcelain bowl 39.95. And of course, I would have to add Godiva's!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 10:58PM
karelina
A traditional bowl and pitcher would work on your dresser or the interesting bowl Susanna Artistea suggested. I would guess you already have an antique bowl and pitcher somewhere else in your house. Moving things around makes them feel new.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 11:28PM
nancy22032
I would paint the wall at the head of the bed a soft blue or blue green to display its lovely design. Soft white curains with the shutters are lovely. Less furniture concentrating on what a guest would use wold be good. It looks a little like an antique display now. Lovely furniture.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 12:31AM