Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master bathroom decorating help
sairaphil
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help redecorating our master bathroom. Want to replace all the accessories, rugs, etc and completely redecorate. I'm looking for suggestions on color schemes, recommendations on adding art, towel rods, basically any suggestions are appreciated. The first picture is taken from the master bedroom. The door on the left is the master closet and the door on the right is the toilet area. Thank you for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sairaphil
Adding one more picture
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:30AM
sairaphil
Anyone?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:00PM
wmpj
Since your tile is neutral, you have a wide array of colors you can choose from. Do you want to repaint the walls? If so, let's start with your bedroom colors. What is the color of your bedroom walls and carpet? What style do you like? Would you be interested in adding hardware to your cabinets?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:07PM
sairaphil
Yes I'm definitely interested in repainting the walls. Would you suggest painting the entire bathroom or just one wall? The bedroom also has neutral walls and carpet. Carpet is a medium sand color. Was planning to redecorate the bedroom next. And yes, I am willing to add hardware
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:13PM
Judy M
How about adding some chrome hardware (knobs) to the vanity. a small vanity bench to slide under the vanity. Go through your drawers and cabinet and purge old items, so you can store the items now on the countertop. I like a soft blue for the walls. Replace the bath mats in a color closer to the floor color for less contrast. Update lighting over the vanity to something a bit more modern.

If it's in the budget, replace the door into the toilet with a frosted glass door.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:15PM
wmpj
Since your faucets are chrome, I would stick with chrome hardware for the cabinets, towel bar, towel ring and toilet paper holder. For the towel bar, ring and holder, try to find something that goes with the style of your faucets. I found this one that may go with it but it's a little difficult to tell in the pictures.
http://www.moen.com/kingsley/chrome-24-towel-bar/_/R-CONSUMER%3AYB5424CH

What colors do you like? A soft blue would look good in your bathroom. Something like this perhaps: Benjamin Moors's #1564
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/beachglass#ce_s=1564

I suggest you try samples first to see what you like and what will work in your room. You could then go with brown bath rugs and a roman shade with blue and brown in it.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:31PM
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:34PM
sairaphil
Great suggestions! Keep them coming please! We were going to replace the existing towel rod with a double rod for both of our towels. Also, there is one medicine cabinet in the bathroom but we are considering adding another one to the other side, along with a towel ring, just not sure how the space will work out for that. Any other suggestions on color? I'm already doing blue/brown for our half bath and wanted to avoid it anywhere else in the house.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:48PM
suesiewert
I would suggest putting a large rug in the center of your room, just as you would in any other room! The small scatter rugs make the room look chopped up. Get a great rug (home goods has many) and work off one or two colors in it for your accessories such as towels and some artwork and candles. All the neutrals in the room will work with any color scheme!
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 4:02PM
bygeorgi
Have you considered doing reno in the bathroom? With the removal of some tile and the addition of mosaic ,but staying neutral ... the vanity wall done in mosaic with two mirrors, or trim out the mirror...replacement of the vanity lighting with some thing more modern would really upgrade your space.... then you could add any color to the walls or accessories to bring your bedroom space and the bath together.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:23PM
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:25PM
Kelsey Leigh
One easy fix would be to replace the giant mirror over the vanity with two smaller framed mirrors.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:27PM
bygeorgi
more.....I think creams and greys look nice together....What style or colors were you thinking for the bedroom?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:30PM
wmpj
If you want a little more drama, you could go with a plum shade.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:45PM
Leda Shapiro
The green in the bath above I think would be nice. But if you want a peaceful look, a sage or seafoam green is nice. I agree that if you do a color like that on the walls, the rug - large is better- should be closer to the floor, and towels white. Keep the color to one color to allow it to pop. Likewise, I prefer the larger mirror to smaller ones. If you use coordinating greens in the bedroom it would work nicely.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:57PM
sairaphil
Don't have the budget for reno right now but that is definitely in the plans for later on down the line. Haven't figured out a style for the bedroom yet, but I will do a different post for that later tonight. Right now the bedroom colors are plum and light grey. I love the green idea for the bathroom!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:25PM
sairaphil
If I paint the walls, what color should I paint the ceiling?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:28PM
Christen Hill
I don't know what your taste is like, but I would go with white walls (or whatever would match your cabinetry closely). I love that look and think it makes it very peaceful and clean feeling. Add some organization and accents in whatever color you want - mint green, ice blue, dark blue, kelly green, yellow, etc. I agree with the central rug comment, too, in a fun but simple stripe or chevron print. If white paint is too drastic, then a very light gray like Benjamin Moore Hazy Skies.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:07PM
PRO
Cynthia Murphy
I have had great success with playing off the white cabinetry with soft plums and taupe-y grey. I like the taupe for the walls not too dark! Then accent with the plum. Go to home goods and see if they still have the giant and beautiful glass jars in plum 1- will give you a beautiful pop of color. I agree a larger area rug pulling the colors together, stay super muted in the rug tones. Save your money and invest in a new countertop with undermounted sinks. Lots of great top options out there! Trim color in simply white by Benjamin Moore. A frosted glass door for the water closet is a great idea as well.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:24PM
wmpj
Do you have crown molding that separates the walls from the ceiling? If so, then you could paint them either a lighter shade of the green you choose for the walls or the same shade. If you're buying a larger area rug like what was suggested, then I'd recommend you get that first and choose your shade of green from the rug. If your bedroom is plum and grey, then go with a sage green.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:25AM
wmpj
Picture

0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:32AM