Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room
smitty1159
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the living room of our total bungalow Reno. We insulated the walls, replaced the window and fireplace, added hickory hardwood floors and pot lights to highlight the art work.

It still looks a bit bare to me, lacking those designer finishing touches so would appreciate any advice.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jayme H.
Lovely, just lovely!! Not sure, but thinking those tannish chairs would go better on the blue wall by fireplace...the pic above FP should be hung higher, and then a few items on the mantle and it will look AWESOME!!
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:50AM
smitty1159
thanks I will give those ideas a try.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:53AM
elklaker
The blue chairs seem to block the fireplace and it seems a it crowded. Do you need the ottoman? I like the idea of using the tan chairs near the fireplace. Maybe even removing one of the blue chairs altogether. The painting seems too big for the mantle. I see a pretty round mirror over the fireplace. Overall, the room is lovely.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:08AM
Jayme H.
Show what u do...this room is so nice/won't take much!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:25AM
lessismoore
The fireplace wall does seem a bit unfinished. Maybe sconces flanking FP, or even (don't know if your really have the space ...) matching white bookcases to sort of extend that area, creating a built-in look. Then, you can accessories those to your hearts content. I also "see" something (vase? box?) in a light buttery yellow in here - something to tie in the colors from the large paintings. Looks very pretty. Nice to see a floral print sofa for a change!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:00PM
smitty1159
Here I rearranged the chairs as suggested, what do you think?

I think I will hang the picture rue on the weekend. We tried the bookshelves but it seemed to cluttered.

Thanks for the compliment in the floral couch...the blue chairs and couch we purchased years ago before the neutral style came in...I still like the couch but not the blue wing chairs but too expensive to replace. Besides they are comfy to read in.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:10PM
Jayme H.
I LOVE the chairs rearranged chairs...they look better to me/nearer to the FP....or if on rug, just a little wider apart.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:26PM
lessismoore
I like your blue wing chairs. It "feels" like you need something on that back FP wall and I can't see adding more paintings as doing it. If bookcases feel too cluttered, what about a screen on one side? Something to add some height. Or topiaries? Maybe a topiary on one side with a mirror, and a screen on the other? Here is a "visualization" (of course, I had to add some yellow)
4 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:42PM
lefty47
HI -- For me , I see the blues chairs as too big for the room . I really like the smaller chairs on each side of the fireplace . Can you put that painting to the right of the fireplace and then have a fancy framed round mirror above the fireplace . Then add another painting for the left side . And possibly add a little accent table ( half rounds ) under each side paintings.Or you could have big wall sconces instead of the paintings. I think if you get two arm chairs or tub chairs to replace the big blue ones that would work better for your room.And keep them in the same neutral tones as the others or even in a suttle print or stripe . Then all you need are a small lumbar pillow on your chairs and some decor pillows for the sofa and a few decor items like glass or crystal pieces ,like bowls and or vases and candle sticks etc.and that should fill the room out . But I see the big blue chairs as being the major problem.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:49PM
cypress
I like the blue wing chairs and ottoman by the fireplace. I agree with Lessismoore"s visualization, it brings the whole room together!
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 2:50PM
bvbv
There are three things that stick out to me: The end of the room appears 1) too "dark;" 2) too "bare;" and 3) too "dominated" by blue color. I like the suggestions for adding mirrors which would help bring in the natural light to that space. You have recessed lighting above, so that would take care of the problem in the evening. I would flank the fireplace with mirrors which don't need to match but could be part of a grouping of items to add more interest and vertical height to that area. Because you seem to really like glass coffee tables and end tables, you might think about installing a couple of glass decorative shelves, maybe staggered, to put some nice things on, like some nicely framed photos or small pieces of artwork, etc. Maybe you put glass shelves on only one side and a mirror on the other, or mix as you like. The 3rd thing is the bigness of the "blueness" of the chairs. I can understand wanting to maximize seating to accomodate a number of guests, so if people can get in and out comfortably, that's fine. But I think you bring more color balance to that end of the room by breaking up the blueness of the chairs by adding a throw pillow in each that brings in some of the tans to that part of the room. Maybe even have a small throw to top the ottoman and reduce that visual dominance. You have a throw of some kind in one of the chairs, but it's not doing the trick, laid across it that way. I think it needs to be vertical or have a throw pillow that will break up the blue. Maybe get a couple of throw pillows for the tan chairs, as well, that incorporate some blue.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:27PM
Leanne Lovie
I agree that what the room needs most is something on either side of the painting over the fire. With the formal style of your living room symmetrical candle sconces in white and blue. In your chair placement photos I'm really like the one with the colors broken up best.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:50PM
lessismoore
Just a quick question, I'm seeing your wall color as more gray than blue. What color is it in "real life?"
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:54PM
PRO
Keowee Hardscapes And Stoneworks
stone fireplace would change the look of the entire room, but an elegant stone i would recomend something like in the image.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:55PM
pcmom1
Lessismoore nailed it! Those additions are great!

I'd suggest a couple of pillows for the sofa, and throw a magazine or book with some reading glasses on to the ottoman or coffee table. Makes it look like someone just left the room! Really, it works because it gets rid of too much perfection and adds in life!
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 4:01PM
bygeorgi
I think the " designer look" that you are missing is really the sofa fabric ... if the sofa was a neutral similar to the beige chairs and exposed legs , no skirt that would update the room tremendously. Then you could add accessories to give it that finished look... graphic pattern pillows with a blue to pull from the chairs, replace the framed art work with a more modern canvas, and flip flop the chair arrangement , then paint the fireplace wall your the blue from your chairs. Maybe also pulling in an indigo color in some accessories and a large scale pattern rug would pull it all together.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:02PM
pcmom1
Just wondering, do you really need so many chairs?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:08PM
smitty1159
wow thanks everyone, you have given me lots of ideas to try. I will play with mirrors and throw pillows but cannot change the sofa or fireplace because of the expense.

Lessismoore thanks so much for the visual picture...I will definitely add some yellow.

The wall colour is gray HC 170 Stonington Gray.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:09PM
annehammer
There seem to be lots of different angles going on here...If you want more of a clean simple look, you might try lining up the matching chairs parallel to one another and the rest at 90 degree angles to one another...four chairs and a sofa are a bit much to not be symmetrical. I agree with others about the floral sofa as well. You have a beautiful room to work with and the color is gorgeous! Just let it kind of sink in and things will come you. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:15PM
cajie2luv
Maybe too many chairs in the room. Too matchy matchy. Maybe one blue and one tan. Not on both sides of fireplace. How about a tall plant on left side of fireplace. Mirror over the fireplace with a couple candle holders and vase or something on mantle.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:19PM
cajie2luv
Blue chairs are too large for floral sofa.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:20PM
smitty1159
Ok I added some yellow and hung the picture. I decided to leave the blue chairs where they are for every day as they are great location for reading in...may rearrange with beige chairs when we entertain.

I love the yellow accents on the mantel and throw pillows...but do you think the yellow conflicts with the pink and blue floral couch...which has no yellow in it at all?
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:36AM
judianna20
Looks very nice. Just one tiny thing…the wing on the left of the fireplace, could you move that away from the fireplace trim and into the corner as the other one is?
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 9:42AM
chinch
The flowered couch and blue wing chairs seem to date the room
I would put the beige chairs by the fireplace and update the sofa with new fabric or a slipcover. Like the yellow accent
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
You did a very nice job. I think one of the problems is there are too many chairs. I would remove one of the chairs. I love the yellow vases on the fireplace and I like the art hung instead of leaning. I would look for some yellow pillows that you can place on the purple chairs - instead of what you have there (Beige?) Never can go wrong with a beautiful plant or floral arrangement. Best of luck
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:55AM
smitty1159
thanks lizajane, the pillows are beige with a yellow graphic print on it and the chairs are blue... Which chair would you remove?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 10:00AM
lessismoore
I really love the yellow vases with that painting! - I think all of us must see different colors here - bit of a problem when you are getting advise :-) On the floral sofa - I'm not "seeing" it as having any "pink" in the photo - over here, it looks more like lavender and blues so ... There is a comment on the chairs/sofa as being "dated" and indeed, they might be considered so ... However, these all appear to be in good condition and they all go together - If the poster was unhappy with them, I'd think we'd have heard something by now. Personally, I'm happy to see something "different" for a change. What may appear dated now, will inevitably be someone's "must have" (think of the mid-modern craze currently in vogue - I had tons of that stuff when I was first starting out. They were all "cast offs" from relatives who wanted no part of them any more!) in a few years.
If the pink bits in the sofa really bother you, consider having a slip cover made.
I recall a time when pink/blue and Monet prints were "everywhere."
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 10:34AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Smitty, it is your preference which chairs you remove. Either one works, I just would not use all four.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 10:51AM
smitty1159
lessismoore: i love the yellow vases too and thanks because that was your idea! it took me a while to find some as there is not much yellow out there.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Area rug?
This is a small alcove in the front of our house. ...
Help converting bedroom w/ sitting room into more of a 'studio apt'
Hi all! Thanks for your help! I have a bit of an unusual...
Want to breath life into my living room!!
Hi- we just bought this house, my living room is narrow...
need help my home office and library
I'm trying to built a home office with my existing...
Antique buffet - how to accessorize it
This buffet that my Great Grandfather made is the ...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.