Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Backsplash help!
terrystead
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Granite is Leathered Brown Antique, hardware on cabinets will be oil rubbed bronze. Should the backsplash be dark or light ? Glass, Stone a mix? Subway?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonnielynn75
I say subway & light. That was you don't "date" the room and you can add all the colours you want in accessories.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:13PM
PRO
Total Quality Home Builders, Inc.
Keep in mind this is your kitchen! Dirt will show! I would go with a deeper richer color! Especially since your wall color is more neutral. You don't want it all to seem the same to your eye.Your flooring seems to pull some deep tones as well as light so either would compliment! A mix is very popular right now (glass and stone) and also allows you to play with texture. Linear is also a look that we are finding in a lot of our custom homes. Good Luck!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:29PM
hwilliamson
Glass, painted on the back the same colour as your walls before it's stuck to the walls.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:30PM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I've never done this personally, but think it would be fun to try:
Wall paper the backsplash area and then install custom cut glass over top of the wall paper. This creates a custom backsplash look!
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:35PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Recently had good results with a slate backsplash on antique brown granite. Same material as the floor in the bath pictured. Comes as an interlocking piece on a mat. Called Borrego. Not a subway but still a pattern. The pattern is broken up by the nature of the stone.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:41PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Practical question...how do you hold the glass onto the wallpaper? Mirror channel mounts and clips seem a bit funky but could work. Of course the glass will show everything that hits it too. Just thinking of the grease bomb I had to clean off the cooktop last night and imagining it on the wall behind the stove...Lots of Windex! Ann Sacks has pre-backed glass tile in a 2X6 that looks very striking as well.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:47PM
onthefence
Ironwood, I stumbled across this photo a few days ago and have been fascinated by it. I think the fasteners are rare earth magnets. Would probably look better in a more modern setting - but I still love it.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:50PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Subway beveled Doric White marble..very classic and very classy!
4 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 1:51PM
mathomson5
Backsplash decisions are easy to postpone, and these are good choices -- a subway tile and something more decorative, but you may get tired of something so busy. If your lighting under the cabinets would permit, you can also use 12x12 tile the same as your countertop -- it can be difficult to find a good match to your slab, this will not be too dark if there is good lighting, and my backsplash shows so little dirt that I need to remember to clean it. With the white cabinets, subway tile is classic but I would go as warm as you could and still stay "white" - Johnson has some nice creamy whites with beveled edges to give texture. Or you could use a frosted glass tile; your glass need not be clear. I like the wallpaper idea but I would use the inexpensive subway tile in white and then hang a series of small prints with dark brown frames and white mats, mayb 8x10, and switch out postcard size pictures or art -- brown and white cows against a blue sky/green grass? Primitive/modern, not too lifelike. You get all of the reflection of glass without the maintenance -- it's easy to wipe down glass in a frame but getting a whole wall clean at the same time is a little more work.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:10PM
PRO
Chameleon Power
Hello everyone, we invite you to have fun designing your own backsplash/mosaic at http://crossville.chameleonpower.com and http://crossvillemosaic.chameleonpower.com
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 2:12PM
PRO
Leaf Design Studio
I think a glass subway tile would look awesome!! You could add a splash of color by doing a light blue or green or whatever color you choose, just don't go too bold!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:19PM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Ironwood,
Yes, my guess would be that installation could be tricky! I have heard of the glass being bolted on.
(Ideal? Not sure...)
As for glass and grease...YES, lots of windex! :)
(but in my opinion, same amount of windex would be needed as with glass tiles)
Like I said, I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a cool concept!
Here's an example of someone who has done it beautifully: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/closeup-rebeccas-backsplash-59652
Please let me know what you think!
Caroline
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:30PM
terrystead
These hand painted glass tiles, I'm in love with! Need to know if I could use them as an accent with other tile for the backsplash?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:26PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Hey what's inside design! Rebecca, the wallpaper and glass gal, wished she'd used a channel at the bottom! Not sure what a silicone bikini strap is...but tat don't sound too secure! Holes for bolts are a bear...combine the mirror channel on the bottom with rare earth magnets up top, close to the upper cab? Sounds more sturdy to me.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 5:49AM
hwilliamson
we stuck our glass on with one of those silicone gun things. ran a strip of clear silicon along the bottom too to stop muck getting caught under there. need to check with your glass shop what thickness to use if it's going behind the cooker / hob where it'll get hot / bumped by saucepan.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 6:19AM
bdlek
I have dark green granite, and added a grey/green slate backsplash. It looks fantastic, and gets constant positive comments. The slate comes on sheets in several color theme options.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:47AM
julie kolln
I prefer really classic materials since I don't want to look dated or want to redo within a few years. I don't get spruce up $$ very often! I just put in white subway, my house is very traditional, with leathered black granite. Couldn't be happier with the results. Safe? Yes! Boring? Not at all!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:56AM
Sherry Lucas
Need color to brighten up kitchen. Dishwasher front
Needs to match other appliances. Will give a cleaner
Look. Maybe soft background with bright colors. Take
This photo and go to lowes and match with tiles .
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:57AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi terrystead!
I really like the idea of doing a different tile design on the wall behind a range. Here's my suggestion, the first tile image (with the stainless steel tile) above the range installed vertically, and the second tile image for the rest of backsplash horizontally. These are tiles from our site, and I think they would look beautiful and add a nice amount of color without being too much. Good luck with your decision!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:09AM
Sherry Lucas
Tile . Bright light color. Flecks of gold silver
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:23AM
terrystead
Susan what are the names of those tiles? Not sure my husband will like those, but maybe I can find a happy medium. I was thinking something with a little iridescent to it, this may be a bit much for our taste.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:39AM
Sherry Lucas
I am sorry do not know a name for tiles. Take photo. Go to lose
Or whom ever u prefer and look at tiles, metal -- copper that can be used as black flash. You can
Also ask for samples and advice. Give them your budjget. Take measurements with u.
I
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:44AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
The aqua tiles are our 3/4 x 1 1/2 Inch Aqua Iridescent Glass Subway Tile: http://www.susanjablon.com/3-4-x-1-1-2-inch-aqua-iridescent-glass-subway-tile.html We also carry these tiles in a clear iridescent and a matte white http://www.susanjablon.com/shop/glass-tiles-mosaic/tile-collections/bricks-glass-tiles.html. If iridescence is what you're looking for, but not in this size/color, we have a lot more iridescent tiles to choose from. Here is a link to all of our iridescent tiles: http://www.susanjablon.com/shop/glass-tiles-mosaic/specialty-tiles/iridescent-glass-tiles.html, and below are images of a few examples that might interest you. Also, here is a link to our mosaic designer which I used to create the blend of stainless steel tiles and the aqua tiles: http://www.susanjablon.com/designer/mosaic-designer.html. Hope this helps!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:55AM
cherylpyne
Beautiful kitchen- mine is almost identical except I used Lagos Blue Quartz (gray/brown) for counters. I went with this backsplash stone: a little twist on classic subway with the classic color/marble. Have fun!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:03AM
terrystead
Susan..Thank you for the links! They are beautiful!
cherylpyne....do you have any photos of this!?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:25AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
whatever you use make certain it has a smooth face and not a stoney rough one
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 9:34AM
cherylpyne
I'm three weeks out from having this installed- waiting on cabinets- :) Try this link: http://products.daltile.com/seriesStone.cfm?series=316&log=4&subType=1
I can't wait to see it behind my stainless hood and above counters!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:36AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
great looking stone, though I think it is rather contemporary for your cottage style cabinet doors
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 9:39AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
You're welcome!!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:42AM
cherylpyne
while my cabinets are shaker, they are full overhang (which makes them appear more modern) and with the other eclectic/modern selections in the adjoining family room, i beg to disagree! :)
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:42AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i'm just commenting on Terry's cabinets that I saw at the begining here. I'd do a subway tile with the cabinets I see above. Yours may be different Cheryl and even if they are the same you like your choice....
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:48AM
PRO
Apartment 46 for the Home
My client just installed these in her modern kitchen with white cabinets and a polished cement counter top, using dark grey grout. It looks phenomenal. All chevron-style tile installs look amazing and would never get boring.

1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 5:38PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
great looking

classic design and proportions, mush better choice than the modern trapezoid shapes
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:53PM
hadow
If you're thinking backpainted glass, you might want to check this website for ideas. http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/back-painted-glass.asp
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:00AM