Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ensuite HELP
rabsy
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The photo is a floor plan of my house, bedroom one is our master bedroom and I have always wanted an en suite. I have decided that the best option maybe to use space from the second bedroom and access to it on the far end of the bedroom, which is currently a wardrobe. The problem I have come across is that the plumber has said that instead of just adding a very small en suite, to take up minimal space in the second bedroom, it will need to go the whole way across the far wall, up to the window. This will make the dimensions of the bathroom 3.5m by 1.4m. I would appreciate any advice on how I can lay this bathroom out to gain the most out of it.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I see your plumber's dilemma...and yours. To access the drains, the plumber needs to be close to the soil stack. Ask them the cost of installing a second soil line. Think outside the box for a moment. It won't be cheap, it won't give you a window in the bath...but it could save you space. Seems like the third, smaller bedroom would be a closer spot for the master bath...how is that room used?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:56AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Continuing! The third bedroom looks to stack on the garage wall. A much easier access for he plumber and without giving up master bedroom storage or room in the larger second bedroom...the third bedroom actually doesn't show a closet...so is it really a bedroom?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:59AM
rabsy
That would make our house a 2 bed and the house would lose a lot of its value. We have already looked into this, hence coming to the decision we have made. By doing it the way we have chosen, we keep two double bedrooms (although smaller) and the smaller third.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:04AM
PRO
movenready properties, LLC
You might consider using the north wall of the second bedroom as the en suite (all the way across) so that it butts up against the current bathroom on one side and the exterior wall on the other. (linear bath layout). Blow-up the closets and divide the remaining space between two bedrooms and re-locate the closets. Moving around walls without significant plumbing or electrical runs isn't difficult but placing a bath where there is not service nearby can be expensive. This will keep your 3 bedroom status but you may have to add an egress window depending on how you layout the two bedrooms. Have fun.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:01AM
rabsy
Hi, the floor plan isn't 100% accurate as the middle wardrobe in the man bedroom is actually the chimney stack, so moving any of these walls would be very troublesome. Thanks for your help though.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:10AM
nononanna
I know the whole point was an "ensuite" but have you considered that you need at least a half bath downstairs? Second, if you just put a door from the bedroom into the bathroom, wouldn't it seem like an ensuite? I mean, you don't have much room to work with, and it would be a shame to make these smallish rooms even smaller. Apparently the move in new building is going away from the many bathrooms that they were building in the 90's and 2000's.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:16AM
PRO
Dytecture
This would not be the most ideal solution, but consider placing the bathroom between the 2 bedrooms and have the closet area on the far end walls.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:32AM