Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How much should a curtain drag?
nlmackay
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is there a rule of thumb as to how much curtain panels should drag? Is this way too much? Should I bite the bullet and just get these shortened? Or have I achieved the "look" of the drag?

If I need to bring these to a seamstress to have them shortened, what is the best way of achieving the perfect length? Should I hang all panels and mark w/ a pin where they should be shortened? I'm not 100% sure my rods are all perfectly the exact same height and that my hardwood floors are perfectly even. I'm afraid if I say "make all panels 90 inches" that they wont all be the correct length.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
House of Holland - TX
I'm a big fan of "puddling" your fabric, but generally only if the panels are going to remain stationary. If yours are going to be closed then definitely plan to alter them. If you have concerns about the finished length, then I would advise asking a friend who is really good at sewing straight seams to come over and measure them while hanging - or if all else fails, hire a window covering professional to do the same.

Love your wood sculpture!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:22PM
nlmackay
Thanks very much! They will be stationary, and never closed. Do you think this puddling is an ok amount? Not too much?
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 3:26PM
charleee
I have to go the opposite way of House of Holland. Puddling isn't popular anymore and the curtains get dirty, collect dust bunnies, etc. My floors are uneven also; what I would do is turn them around so the hem faces you, then carefully pin them to the right length. Make your pins vertical instead of horizontal and you will have an easier time checking if they're straight.
6 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:26PM
Kelsey Leigh
I like the amount of puddling your curtains have. Enough to collapse on the floor but not enough for a pile.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:27PM
pcmom1
An easier way, if you wish a little less of a puddle, and to keep your options open, would be to add a rod sleeve under the current one. This will raise your curtains up and give you "a header" above the rod. I would think that you could do this as a "no sew" project if you use iron on seam binding.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:38PM
nlmackay
Ok, stupid question but what is a rod sleeve?
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 3:39PM
PRO
Dytecture
Please don't drag or puddle.

16 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:39PM
charleee
Thanks Dy!
3 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:41PM
PRO
House of Holland - TX
I think it looks great! And I do submit that yes, they are going to get dirty, but as long as you realize that and make an effort to keep them as clean as possible, then enjoy the softness it gives to the room. The only thing I might advise is to iron out the panels so they are a little more crisp on the way down.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:41PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
DY is right! That is exactly how I would do it. I love the picture too.
5 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:42PM
judianna20
After you shorten the panels, push them back so that you can see your window. Right now the panels are making your windows look narrow.
3 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:55PM
pcmom1
A rod sleeve is what your rod is fitting thru right now! Look at the back of your curtain. You will just be adding a second one under the current one.

And if you don't want to do that, you could do a "no sew" hem the same way. (Can you tell that I don't sew?). Then at the same time, give curtains a nice ironing and add some weights to the hem so that they hang well.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:06PM
TanCalGal
Some feel puddles R old hat and some feel it is personal preference. I'm with personal preference. One article said a 4" puddle is enough if U like puddles and another said go for a 2" puddle if you don't like puddles all that much, but want a bit of a graceful hang. Want to know how to arrange the puddle? I loved watching this video:

How long have drapes been hanging. Don't cut until they have hung for 3 days. Personally, I'd try the technique in the video and not bother to have them cut & hemmed.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 4:08PM
feeny
Have to say I'm in the no puddles camp. I love the length of curtain in the photo Dytecture posted.
6 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:03PM
decoenthusiaste
Puddles work for super uber formal Euro style spaces, and are often designed with a perfectly round puddle built in. They are over the top for most applications in the average home, and never work if you have pets or kids. Looking at the style of your window covering and rod, they are way too casual to carry off a puddle.
5 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:21PM
AMN
To me, this is the only kind of room that can carry puddled drapes with grace. I like the color of your wall, by the way!

3 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:30PM
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Just a hair above the floor is my preferred length. Take a look...

Dytecture got it right. Hope that helps. Charmean
5 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:40PM
olldroo
I'm a "no puddles" vote sorry. I note you have a timber floor which means dust bunnies would love to make permanent stops at the curtains and rearranging the puddles every time you vacuumed is just unnecessary work to me. Perfectly fitted curtains like Charmean and Dy suggest look far more designed and elegant in a room, "puddles" look like something you do when you buy the wrong sized curtains.
3 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:24PM
PRO
Artistic Renovations of Ohio LLC
like the clean look of dy's - no puddle
3 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:26PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
These days its very rare that anyone has them puddling. Having said that I don't believe in "rules" for anything. If you like the look of them, that's all that matters.

One thing I will say about your drapes is that you have hung the rods too low.! Move the rods up so that the top of the rod is almost up where the crown molding begins. you will find your drapes will be the right length then.

All floors can be a little uneven, even in new construction. Most designers that I work for want the drapes "just touching" which is very hard to pull off exactly with an uneven floor.

If you find you still want to have your panels taken up and they are all hung at different heights...first hang a tag on each panel and label it so that it goes back to the same spot. Take some pins and pin up the hems to where you like them. Get them worked on by someone who does basic alterations, no special workroom service is required for that. Then re-hang yourself.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:48PM
PRO
Artistic Renovations of Ohio LLC
you are right Julie - each client has personal tastes ... good advise on the drapes!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:51PM
lucykr
I have puddling in all my rooms, and I love it. The amount of fabric hanging differs for different weight of curtains. But I think for this fabric on the picture it does not work that well. I will be better just touching the floor with this fabric. Please, try different fabric for an elegant gracious look. It has to create nice elegant curves.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:11PM
olldroo
lucykr - you have made a very good point there, this is obviously very much an art and I have only seen poor choices. I note also there is a vent on the floor - how would any airflow affect the drape of the curtains.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:59PM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I have done the puddling thing with lots of fabric on the floor and it does look good particularly in formal rooms. Todays sleeker look does not call for this. I like them to break on the floor like a gentleman's well tailored slacks. This looks good for all style rooms and is timeless and will remain current from style change to style change. I never like to see floor or wall beneath drapes.
5 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 8:18PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Length is such a subjective thing I have found. What one person deems correct another abhors. And people get very intense about it.

There is an art to dressing the bottom edge of drapes where they hit the floor, an obviously every time a drape is moved, the dressing of the pleats becomes a mess. Every time the floor is cleaned, they need to be dressed again. Can be very time consuming, but for those committed to the look they are probably prepared to go through the process.

A traversing drape, not the ones pictured above, should always only just touch the floor.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:09AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
"Puddling" is more popular in certain areas of the country...the South in particular...
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:28AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
As well as being in the no puddle camp--haven't had a request for one in years, I would also not do the ruffled header suggestion, except maybe in a country setting. Raise the rod as suggested, and you might get just enough puddle to not have to pay to have them hemmed.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:14AM
nlmackay
Thanks everyone! I'm going to get the drapes hemmed so there's no puddle :) I'll also see if I can get my husband to raise the rods a bit. Next I need to add some color and vamp up this room....desperately! I'm thinking of putting down a sisal rug and layering a zebra cowhide on top , and then doing some colorful throw pillows. I have been having a VERY hard time with this room because it is open to my dining area, which also needs decor. It is also open to my kitchen. I am struggling with coordinating these areas. I feel like maybe new rugs will really help me, but I'm stuck! I don't know what color(s) to add. My husband and I are in are early 30's. We bought traditional furniture when we first got married because we were thinking practically (and following what our parents had!) But I want a more glamorous, elegant, transitional look....and can't spend a fortune! I would love any suggestions, thank you very, very much! Here are some pics, excuse the mess!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:32AM
nlmackay
And here's a kitchen view.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:33AM
elw4797
I like the puddles! The length you have is perfect and not sloppy looking. It's very Pottery Barn.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:41AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would raise the rod up a bit more the drape should be just kissing the floor in this type of space.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:46AM
TanCalGal
My 2 cents on the curtains is to try the video & style curtains in the modified puddle or break as shown here: Living Room2

I cannot see some of the furniture in LR. Sofa & chair appear brown or black leather. A sisal rug will be nice. I do not think an animal hide over top will help anything. V & Company, Fine Builders

Before I bought a new sisal rug, I'd shop from what I already owned. I think the DR rug might look nice in the LR and not have a rug in the DR at all. I'd also remove curtains from DR and have windows there bare. The DR buffet needs to be styled, do U have anything to display? Always shop from home first.

I cannot see what colors R in the DR rug for pillow selection (if U use that rug in LR). Choosing colors from the rug have 2 print pillows and 2 solid pillows for sofa. Arrange something like this (without one in center). Living Room

Do U want table lamps at end of sofa? I think I'd remove wood arm chair and buy a pedestal 4 the sculpture and display that between the windows. Foyer

Do U have anything to style the coffee table with?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:27PM
nlmackay
Hi all - I have decided to have the curtains shorted so that they kiss the floor. I just havent brought them to the tailor yet. I just bought this zebra rug to layer because I'm trying to make this room a bit more glamorous/designer. I absolutely love this zebra rug, but not sure if it looks right. What do you think of the zebra rug? YES or NO? If I keep it, I'll buy a sisal or jute rug to go underneath. I'm going to be adding some new decorative colored pillows and art, but in the meantime any other suggestions on how to vamp up the room are absolutely welcome!

I also tried the rug in my foyer, but don't think my space is "grand" enough to carry it.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:08PM
olldroo
nimackay - a sisal rug would look great and earthy with the zebra skin but to me sisal is casual and I don't think that would fit your 'glamorous" perception. It is also very scratchy to sit on or walk on barefooted. Do you need a new rug? If you do, I'm thinking something a little into a caramel shade would work with the zebra skin and would look warmer and not be as much contrast to the lounge.

Can you move the period chair away from the wall a bit and slightly angle it to the lounge so it looks more part of the conversation and not just a piece of furniture on display if you know what I mean. It doesn't quite look like it truly "belongs" in the room.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:48PM
pcmom1
I love the zebra rug, but don't think I would use it there. It seems like you would always have to be pulling on it to straighten it out. And could easily become a tripping hazard!

For a "World Traveler" vibe, I think replacing your rug with a muted oriental would add richness and drama. Could you try switching the rugs between the dining room and living room?

Then I would bring out the wood (?) sculpture piece from the end table in the corner (with the wall and drape color sort of blends away back there), and place it on your coffee table.

If you don't like it there, try it on the buffet in your dining room. Nice eclectic look.

Add a couple of large travel books to the lower level of the coffee table. Finally, into the spot vacated by the sculpture, put a beautiful large orchid!

Beautiful home to work with!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:51AM