Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Space planning help!
cjley
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Here is our great room with dimensions for living/dining/kitchen. Need help with space planning because we will be purchasing new furniture soon. Our sectional is a pain and doesn't work for rearranging furniture when we need to. However I'm not sure how we could get much else other than a sectional to work since the living room area is about 8x10 and I feel chairs would get in the way of leg room for the sofa and we like to lounge and lay down on the couch so love seats would not be good in place of a sofa... And we do entertain a lot so seating is a must.. Help please :(
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
How low does your window in the living area extend?
January 22, 2013 at 3:35PM   
annmarie2
Bring a scaled drawing with you to the furniture store (1/4"-1' or 1/2"-1'). The store should have some little cut-outs they can use to help you determine what to buy and how to lay it out.
January 22, 2013 at 3:52PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
What is the narrow space between the kitchen and outside wall used for?
January 22, 2013 at 3:56PM   
cjley
The window is 6 ft wide. I attached a couple of pictures of what the space looks like now. It's a split level home. The long skinny area is a hallway. The stairs to the room are on the other side of the short 8 foot wall. Half the furniture is leftover and tired from years ago in college. The sectional was a quick and easy and cheap purchase we made a few years back because all we had was a love seat and random chairs when we moved in. Sure u can see why I want to update everything! And from houzz what I gather is space planning is the first step to getting a great design :)
January 22, 2013 at 6:15PM   
jjandhk
I agree--I think a sectional is good in your space; but I would look for something smaller. I would put the "lounger on the side towards the window; and get 2 small armchairs flanking the tv--facing the sofa.
I think I would want to brighten up your space--(I love the blue accent wall)--you could go with white walls, curtains, and rug; gray sofa; and blue chairs and cushions. Do you use the small bar/chest to the left of the tv? --because that is where I would put the 2nd armchair.
January 22, 2013 at 7:03PM     
PRO
I do not like to place a sofa or sectional in front of a window that is lower than the back of the sofa, so I looked for alternate solutions in furnishing what is indeed a very tight space. I like an angled sofa. It's fun and unexpected. You would be able to place the sofa against the window should your design rules be less structured than mine. And then one of the chairs can face the sofa and the other the TV.

You will have space for a 12" deep set of bookcases, and the Ikea "Billy" series fills that role quite nicely, if you plan it with space for your TV.
January 22, 2013 at 7:11PM     
PRO
I would look for a sofa that has narrow arms, thus allowing you more seating space. Crate & Barrel has some that would work, as does Mitchell Gold. The chair below is from cb2, a division of Crate & Barrel. You only have space for a tiny coffee table, so a see thru one would help. Below is a set of 3. Choose one for this area and use the others elsewhere or sell them. At $199 for the set, they're a buy! Aidan Apartment Sofa Everett Striped Chair Peekaboo Clear Nesting Tables
January 22, 2013 at 7:36PM   
kathleen MK
I like Carolyn's angled sofa. (I guess because it my sun room's arrangement) The sofa table or short bookcase could function as a serving bar for entertaining being near the table and the living area. That could work with the sofa or a sectional facing the window
January 22, 2013 at 8:14PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with Kathleen in that Carolyn's furniture lay-out is really close to perfect for your space.
January 23, 2013 at 3:16PM     
PRO
I've always admired Interiors International's excellent taste!
January 23, 2013 at 5:34PM