Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
new orange chair
sondramartina
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love this orange chair but it does not look as good as i expected. Ill buy new rug but is it going to help?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimdee24
I like the chair. I'd repeat some orange elsewhere in the room to tie it together. Hard to tell from the color in this photo. I assume your overhead lamp really isn't pink, right?
8 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:43PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Return the chair.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 3:43PM
PRO
House of Holland - TX
I think it's fun and funky - if that's what you were going for! Get some pillows in a matching/coordinating fabric as the chair and use them on your couch. Find an orange bowl or other great accessory to place on the coffee table. Keep the rug - love it! You're doing great! Just find a few more things to tie it together!
8 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:49PM
Darzy
I like the chair, but unless you are willing to commit to the orange and repeat the colors elsewhere in the room I think it is out of place in your space. I'm not feeling the orange/gray for you.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 3:52PM
kobley
Add some pillows to the sofa with orange in them and add some orange to your table. Even 2 different sizes of orange candles. Try one of your sofa pillows on the chair. The one currently on the chair doesn't do much for me. Is your lampshade pink?
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:53PM
jensen2
I like the chair structure, but not the color. Perhaps a different color that is in the pilow as your accent color. Everything else I like!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 3:57PM
sondramartina
With more orange in the room. Nah...
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:03PM
Darzy
Nah...agree. I think you're a more yellow accent. : )

5 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:05PM
sondramartina
I wish I know why it's wrong but I am gonna return it :(
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:30PM
PRO
MDana Design LLC
I also think that repeating the color through other pieces even some accessories would help. :)
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:37PM
sondramartina
Thank you guys. I don't want to redecorate around this chair. I just want one that will nicely blend with the rest of the room. I am tired of playing with this living room.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 4:46PM
songeons
I hate to say this but I think part of the problem is the gray-range everything and not many patterns or significant contrasts so there is no depth to the gray. When you only have one thing that is a different color, it doesn't work. You have a gray sofa, a gray/brown rug, white curtains (which are sort of light gray looking, but that may be the photo), gray walls and black/white/gray artwork. Maybe if you added a large piece of artwork with other colors, or several, on the walls to break up the gray, the orange wouldn't seem so isolated. And if you do keep the orange, you could echo some orange gold tones in the artwork (or orange red). What I do love about the orange is how much it brightens the gray.

Good luck!
4 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:59PM
annehammer
I love the chair! The lines and the color too.. Maybe the depth of grey is an issue..and I'd search for a throw and maybe some chevron pillows with the chair in them. Great find!!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:05PM
hparks74
I love everything furniture and paint!!!!! One thing that I feel is slightly off is the art. Need something more modern and colorful. Maybe an orange abstract.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 6:09PM
decoenthusiaste
Lots of colors work well with gray - yellow, orange, teal, lime, purple, pink, red. Which of those is a favorite for you? That would be the best way to begin - accent chair (keep scale of sofa in mind) pillows, accessories and rug. Have you thought of using that rug in your bedroom? Try it halfway under your bed.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 6:13PM
ccwatters
I actually think the problem is with your paint / sofa colors. They are too similar. If the sofa was a more contrasting color, I don't think the paint would be an issue. If the paint was a lighter color that allowed the sofa to stand out more, I don't think the current color of the sofa would be an issue. But the two of them together are too drab. And while I love that painting---I recognize it from Ikea---it is just more "gray" (and seems to be fighting a bit with the gray of the wall).
I would change the color of your walls to another neutral that is brighter to freshen up the space and create some contrast, and then an accent color could work better.

You can see in the photos below how gray can wok on walls or furniture pieces, as long as there is a little (or a lot) of contrast.

I would also get a new rug.

[houzz=
5 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:54PM
sondramartina
First picture is before orange chair.Looked calm and peaceful so I just wanted to add one chair without changing other stuff. But I love this new chair, lines look great, picture does not shows well. Second pic I just added different art,pillows to get the idea .I know red painting sits high and it is small.
But looking at these pics I like before better.
3 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:00PM
sondramartina
Better view
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 7:05PM
mathomson5
I like the chair, but I also like seeing the window; you have a really nice relationship between the low sofa and window, so for more seating I suggest a low, open, wood, rocker -- a sculptural piece like the chair. Then you could add color/texture with fabric on a pillow/throw. Maybe a black/ebony or painted piece or one the same color as your woodwork if ornate. Yes, lower the artwork. Rule of three -- for color. If you wanted to keep the chair I was going to suggest a complementary soft, warm turquoise or some other blue from the artwork for pillows. I also like my round ottoman that works well anywhere. It is next to the baby grand for extra seating and sort of fills in that awkward low space below the piano -- you have a similar issue here -- you don't want to cut the horizontal line under the window, but you need seating.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:22PM
sondramartina
Can someone please photoshop this room with orange chair and different rug,please?
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:37PM
sondramartina
Testing with more red orange,added another painting.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:55PM
greengirl
Love the direction room is taking. I love the chair, but not the pillow on it. A celery green pillow would look great. The artwork is going in the right direction, just bigger and brighter and BAM, you've got a winner.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 8:28PM
Khara
Stark white curtains would bring out the actual variety of grey of the room. Change out the art with a that of a more orange undertone and get rid f the purple, it only muddies the colors of grey. However if you want the purple and grey as well as the orange, try adding canary blue glass pieces on the table and in the art. Grey, Blue, orange, white and purple (try to sacrifice the purple). I agree with most though, the direction of the room is quite nice. Don't give up. ;)
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 8:51PM
hparks74
Actually I think a pop of aqua or turquoise would be great. Understand that the lighting is not complimenting his choice of paint most likely. If you we're to swap rugs a aqua chevron stripe would look great with a few modern elements throughout the room.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 8:54PM
hparks74
You could also consider wrapping lampshade in a tone one tone textured pattern in white to play off curtains.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 8:55PM
cms12
I'm not a designer, but I liked your room better before. Like you said, it was calm and soothing. Don't get me wrong, orange is one of my favorite colors in my design...Revere Pewter walls and orange persian rugs fill my house.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:06PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I think you are fighting 2 different design feelings. You are wrestling with soft, soothing .... or .... dramatic and bolder with color.
1st - The monochromatic look of all the grays is softer, blends with everything else. It works, is restful & soothing. Has no color pop in the room.
2nd - Add other brighter colors. Creates more life, makes a bolder statement, many times more interesting. More dramatic.
... You have to choose the feeling that you are looking for in this room. Maybe you are just afraid. We get bored sometimes and want to step away from our norm and want something different but changes for some people are difficult. I suggest you try to choose the direction of the feeling that you want.

I love the chair, am happy to see you added brighter colors in pillows and art. I like what you're doing. You just need to add a few things and tune into the feeling that you will be happy with. Lower the lamp shade, stencil a design on it with colors that you choose. Add a silver cording around the top & bottom edges. Add some mercury glass items on the table. Put color on the coffee table. Maybe some books with bright colorful binders. Like the large painting. You can add wall sconces or metal, iron plaques on each side to take up additional wall space. Can spray paint them whatever color you like.

I would add more colorful pillows on the sofa - it's a large sofa and very gray. The walls and sofa take up a lot of the visual space in the room. Brighter color will uplift the heaviness in the room. I love the carpet and they can be expensive. I don't kinow what the fabric of the carpet is, but maybe you can add some brighter fabric paint color on some of the pattern. The art is hung too high, and is very common for a lot of people. If you are crafty, you can buy wide fabric ribbon in a color of choice and run bands on the inside and outside vertical edges of your drapes. That will bring interest and color to that side of the space. The ribbon bands can be applied to the drapes with an iron-on tape bought at Joann's Fabrics or a sewing store. Michael's Crafts may carry this also. I think it's called "stitch witchery".

I really love how the room is coming together. I had a client that had this same type of dilemma. Ultimately, it was only because she didn't have all the items in the room. One new item will not tell you that it was a good choice. Designing is a process of items building upon one another becoming a whole. A designer can envision the room completed, whereas, some people can not. Good Luck - It's a Great Job. Keep going!

Monochromatic vs. Color .... Before & After
Before Guest Bedroom 1 Hollywood Guest Bedroom Decor and Ideas
Before Guest Bedroom 2 Hollywood Guest Bedroom Corner Windows Hollywood Guest Bedroom Design and Decor
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:51PM
PRO
Erica Gordon
keep the purple accents :)
get a throw for the couch [orange]
put up old b&w picture [they go better]
put the chair in a different room. i love it!
add an orange accent pillow [1 solid or/and 1 zig-zag pillow orange]
add more orange inside the centerpiece on the table. [little knick-knacks]
change lamp shade. maybe a small crystal chandelier style or simple white
also add some lime green to bring out the trees outside] [accent pillow. not squared maybe round or just textured]

it looks great. you just have to tie it in a little more
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:19PM
yvonnecmartin
I like your room before.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 10:21PM
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hey

the chair is good and color is amazing.
just add nice colorful cushions on the sofa.
The rug is fine

regards
www.anishkmotwani.in
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:34PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree. Ditto to ccwatters. The walls and sofa are too much the same color. That's what makes the room look heavy. Paint changes are the least expensive update you can do.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:35PM
PRO
FurnitureNYC
Orange color bring cool and modern look. Are you looking for a new chair like that? http://www.furniturenyc.net/product/rebecca-orange-wool-chair-sohoconcept

At this project you can find only the orange furniture and accessories

0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:10AM
sondramartina
What do you think of chair in purple colour instead of orange?
3 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:32AM
mousyifg
Orange and grey don't really go together. But if you REALLY want to keep the chair, get an orange carpet, lamp, and possibly even flowers!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:07AM
aniluap2
I think the orange chair adds a pop of drama. I would bring back the black and white picture and just put a few different shaped pillows with a solid orange and 2 with orange/white or orange and grey patterns on the sofa to tie in the orange chair. A little orange accent on your cofee table such as a contemporary lacquered orange tray ( I think West Elm carries some) or orange votives with modern silver piece is all you need. You just want a little dab of color not a whack over the head!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:34AM
Darzy
Yes. I prefer the purple color and that chair would look great in your space. I like the orange chair lines, but not the color. You could even add a pop of yellow pillows in spring and it will work beautifully as well. Take back the chair and put the cash toward the purple chair. :)
3 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:15AM
sondramartina
Darzy,what would you suggest for rug colour? Once i collect all that cash. :)
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:20AM
sstarr
I really love the chair.. hope you don't return it. Your room looks a bit dated without it. The bargello cushion on the chair looks wrong and superfluous; as others have said, use a couple of large, modern cushions on the sofa picking up the orange tone (not solid orange).
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:31AM
Darzy
I actually really like the rug! It looks great to me. Not so much in person?
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 10:37AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
I know whats wrong with it..it looks like a bedroom chair and it looks kind of dwarfed next to the sectional. Stay with orange just needs a higher back and more mid modern like this one.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:37AM
Darzy
Here is a gray/purple living room with white sheers and a table and lamp like yours. Do you like the combo? I'm not digging all of the sofa pillows but this may help you decide.

2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:44AM
Darzy
oh, ccwaters already posted this picture above. Here is a new rug thought (but I like the one you have).

0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:48AM
bygeorgi
Keep the chair!! I have one similar its really a rose color...I would say add brown to your room, it is another warm color to bring the grey and orange together... here's a pick of my living room I have similar stuff going on my zebra print is on pillows tho and I have the rose color in art work , flowers, a pillow etc, brown for my accent wall ,table and tv cabinet and a key dish... pic is maybe hard to see, was taken before a party
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 11:11AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Purple chair is great too. Stay in the brightness of this color and add some teal, aqua and/or yellow if you go with purple. Great look also.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 12:18PM
sondramartina
Regarding the wall colour. I can not paint it again since it was done few months ago. I haven't decided yet about chair,husband wants to keep it. I am leaning towards returning it.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 3:28PM
PRO
LB Interiors
If you must keep the chair what are other colors that you like that may go with the orange? You can compromise and maybe introduce something in the room that hubby isn't too fond of? What would that be?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:11PM
designideas4me
I dont like it. Why must you ad a bright color? It looked better before sorry
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:17PM
designideas4me
actually the dark purple would look good as an accent. The orange is like trying to make something work that really doesnt... just my opinion.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 4:18PM
sondramartina
@designideas4me: I agree,no reason to be sorry.
Thank you all.I am heading back to the store to return it,who knows maybe I'll find purple one.:)
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 4:32PM
PRO
LB Interiors
If you only add "one" new item to a room that does not blend with similar colors already in the room, you will not like it. IF you do not add some more of that color, it will always look wrong. If you wish to keep the room more neutral, then remove the orange chair. That's a great design also. Someone decided to step out of the box here. So, maybe it's time to try something different. Good for you sandramartina.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:36PM
PRO
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 4:44PM
bygeorgi
.Make sure you add plum that has a rich pinkness to it. Have you thought of changing the photograph above the sofa, its kinda cold and depressing...there's alot of grey on grey .... a mix of pattern pillows combining plum and grey on a white background would look nice... maybe an Ikat or trellis pattern. But I still like the orange.....
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:49PM
PRO
Causa Design Group
As long as the over head light IS NOT PINK, you should keep the chair and you can keep the rug. The problem is lack of this color in other loctions. Yes I agree you need new pillows on the sofa which have the use of color seen in the chair. The pillows MUST be larger in scale than you currently have. 22 x 22" would be much better (qty 2) and then a third pillow that could be 18 x 18 or a rectangle in a different pattern. A single accessory on the cocktail table with color should be added.
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 4:57PM
sondramartina
What about this one? It is violet-blue
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:10PM
Darzy
Nice chair, but not for your space. : ( How about an "oatmeal" color?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:12PM
anitajoyce
Love the orange chair with the grey sofa. Add some accent pillows with both colors in it as mentioned over and over again in the previous comments.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:14PM
sondramartina
Anitajoyce.
I've tried but it seems thet orange is not right shade,I feel more muted orange would be nicer.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:17PM
anitajoyce
Ok. Please post pictures of your completed space.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:19PM
sondramartina
One of these?
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 5:27PM
bygeorgi
The orange isn't the problem ,.... no matter what chair you choose no matter the color, its the no middle ground that"s missing. You need the right accessories to bring it all together LB Interiors has great photos ...the right way to do the color scheme, looks chic to me, less teen. Maybe change out the area rug ....
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:28PM
sondramartina
Bygeorgi ,i agree .Orange chair is gone now. Once i pick the chair i like i will work with accessories i promise :)
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:32PM
bygeorgi
Ok good girl...lol ... have you ever tried Olioboard.com ?...its a fun way to create rooms and play with accessories...they just don't have a ton of style to choose from..
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:58PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I love the violet blue chair (this is a blue purple). It's a bit too deep in shade. Style is great also, but this is another cool color. It's too close in tonal value with the grays. Great color but it doesn't accent all the grays enough.

I feel that you need warm accents with your cool grays. Maybe stay in the warm palettes of red, orange, yellow, coral, bright red wine, bright cranberry, fushia, red purples, not blue purples. Cool brights work well, like aqua, turquoise, bright blues, sea glass. It looks like you want more color than your current more neutral feeling. If you want subtle blend, then choose cool colors that stay in a neutral palette.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 6:41PM
sondramartina
Wow LB! Thanks for this. I have to admit all this colour stuff and how they work together is confusing me but I am learning too. Oh, it is so much easier to pick right clothes!
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:17PM
mauigirl22
Hi Grace Kelly,
Love that name! I love the orange chair, again, as others have already mentioned, accent pillows.
My biggest move would be to change the rug (sorry, as you probably love it and it cost money).
I am just not a fan of zebra, leopard etc unless it is an accent piece. Just personal tastes. When you can, if you cannot, will not change the rug, then change the coffee table. Try an oval to round shape, to break up the hard lines and also a clear top (glass or plexi) . Hope this helps, my first time at dispensing ideas. Ciao.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:24PM
Darzy
hi mauigirl22..welcome, and we appreciate you posting ideas.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:29PM
PRO
LB Interiors
The 2 armless chairs above are too dull for the room. These would be better in a dining room or at a desk. You need a chair you can lounge in comfortably. It must have some type of arm. My opinion. There you go again with muted cool colors. If you want a blended room, gray chair is ok. I'm having a little bit of a hard time with the other color in your room.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:28PM
designideas4me
I think the chair or 2 chairs need to be opposite the chaise part of the sectional to create balance in the room. most pics will show that configuration if you look closely.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 11:35PM
designideas4me
I personally dont like the back of the chair facing the tv. put it on the other side of couch to make it more functional,
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 11:36PM
designideas4me
ok i decided what you should do. you have to get rid of the wall unit or at least paint it white or light gray.. high gloss. then put a silver object on the coffee table. then get 2 chairs in a gray and white fabric and put it where i said... opposite the chaise. this pic is another good option for you.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
Living room
Does the small brushed nickel end table suit this room...
teafortwo
Holy bathroom
I am moving into a condo. It is a rental so I am limited...
nadiagravely
Kitchen chairs
I like Ethan Allen's "Adam" dining table in black (http://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-dining-room-tables/adam-dining-table/336703.html)...
woodlands123
Converting 2BHK to 3BHK
We are planning to buy a new apartment which is a 2BHK...
akshayapradeep
Kitchen Nook
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.