Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wall Cramps Master Bath -- need help!
Kelsey Leigh
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I moved in to our 1.5 bathroom house one year ago. We'd love to totally redo our only full bathroom using our DIY skills and help from our dads.

The Problem:
Our 1960's ranch bathroom has a door to the hallway (near vanity) and a door to our master bedroom (near toilet). It also has a weird wall cutting the space in half, even though the bathroom is already pretty narrow.

I'd love some ideas on how to best use the space -- keep the wall, pocket door, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
House of Holland - TX
What would happen to the layout of the home if you walled off the door to the hallway?
January 22, 2013 at 4:08PM   
Kelsey Leigh
The only problem with walling off the door is that anyone who wants to take a shower would have to go through the master bedroom... not very convenient.
January 22, 2013 at 4:18PM   
PRO
House of Holland - TX
Then I would probably go for eliminating the wall - I guess I see why it was there for attempted privacy reasons but if this is the only shower in the house then I'd go for opening it all up. Wondering if you could put a pocket door in where the entrance to the master is? This would eliminate that door swinging into the space. Unless you are wanting to spend a lot (which it doesn't sound like you do) I wouldn't change the layout. I would find a great furniture piece that you could refinish into a vanity.

This might not be your style, but maybe give you some inspiration. I had my contractor refit all the drawers around the plumbing so that while the top two are not full size, they still provide storage. Find you some great lighting and a framed mirror and you're on your way!
January 22, 2013 at 4:48PM   
Kelsey Leigh
Thanks so much for your input! I really like the idea of removing the wall but I won't be the one cleaning up drywall and relocating the wiring, I just hope the guys are up for a challenge!
January 22, 2013 at 7:08PM