Professionals
Users
Need to update!
caevans850
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Thoughts on how to make this more modern for Flat screen
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
Square up the arch and recess the tv into a custom opening to fit the tv exactly.

January 22, 2013 at 4:49PM     
caevans850
Thanks!
January 22, 2013 at 5:09PM     
decoenthusiaste
Might put a shelf and doors on those two large openings at the bottom of the shelf system.
January 22, 2013 at 5:16PM     
caevans850
Thank you!
January 22, 2013 at 5:22PM   
PRO
Eden Clark of VEDA Design Group
Depending on your budget, a much more contemporary look would be to have the niche drywalled in, remove the existing fireplace surround and do a stone or tile floor-to-ceiling, then place the flat panel over top. It will create more of a focal point and drama for the room. I did a quick mock-up for you so you can see what it would look like. :)
(you could also paint the cabinetry on the sides all white to make the entire area 'pop').
January 22, 2013 at 5:39PM     
caevans850
Wow! Thanks!
January 22, 2013 at 5:49PM   
bygeorgi
Maybe to clean up the lines a bit... close off upper shelves and tv opening, add plain front doors to the bottom, paint out all white , tile the fireplace surround in a pencil mosaic.... and add a bit of wall paper to the back of the shelves.......
January 22, 2013 at 6:29PM   
bygeorgi
something like this.......
January 22, 2013 at 6:36PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
The comments from those above are right about doors on lower part of unit. What about painting black trim. Leave the arch to soften all the sharp lines. Saves money. Paint the arch wall the marble color. This will make the unit interesting. Paint back of shelves a color ... photo is too bright, sorry. Beef up the mantle, construct higher and slightly longer than the wall. Paint the mantle a color that's in the marble surround. Construct a drop-down door to house the component shelf and paint the same marble color. The unit will work better with the floor also. The marble now has something to tie it all together.
P.S. You could also add a rectangular plant-on facade over the arch and paint a color in the marble. Extend the length slightly wider than the unit mimicking the mantle length. Remove molding around fireplace and replace with accent tile.
Fireplace and Bookcases Simply Sticks Mosaic Tile
January 23, 2013 at 1:28AM   
PRO
plain jane enterprises LLC
My first thought is always on a budget. If that's the case, I would paint it all black, or almost black, a wenge (brown/black). Keeping it all black (but for the crown and fireplace surround) makes the tv disappear. Takes it to contemporary right away. Doors on the bottom anchor it, great idea.
January 23, 2013 at 7:06AM   
bygeorgi
Whats with a ll the black?? Did Caevans850 say this room was going to be a man cave? Unless there are some dark heavy furnishings going in to balance it out...... closing in the arch is not that expensive.. a bit of wood, half piece of drywall, a little work and really modernize it......Also if the doors had glass panels tv components could be stored inside and the remotes still function. I know it's just my aesthetic just hate the idea of black , I'm on the west coast where updating is usually more modern and fresh. I do think that tile choice above is fantastic.
January 23, 2013 at 7:29AM     
PRO
plain jane enterprises LLC
Guess I'm a New Yorker. Black is elegant and a beautiful contrast to many colors and neutrals. There has been no discussion of furniture in this room. Don't know much about man caves. Haven't dipped my foot in that pond.
January 23, 2013 at 7:56AM     
PRO
KN Interiors
I second Eden Clark's opinion. To simplify, simply drywall over the arch and mount the TV. Depending on how big a TV you had in mind, this will allow you a larger screen than if you try to put it inside a niche. I also agree that the mantle could stand to be beefed up a bit... kind of feels like an afterthought at the moment, when it could be a great architectural statement. (Also an inexpensive fix.)
January 23, 2013 at 8:02AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with plain jane and KN. A larger TV would probably be more conducive to where the furniture will be placed in the room. It's difficult to tell. The unit seems to be in the middle of the pathway into the room. Black touches are always classic and add to a contemporary look. If the unit is all black, it becomes much heavier and may become the primary color set for the room. Is that what you want? This gives you an idea.

January 23, 2013 at 12:41PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Accent tile around fireplace may be an option to bring in color.

January 23, 2013 at 12:50PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Hey guys! Drywall and wood don't mix! Drywalling pieces of cabinetry doesn't anyway! Squaring up the existing arch needs to be done in the same material, securely glued and screwed in place, then painted whatever color you all can agree on...don't take me down that paint it twice then cover it with stone path again! BTW, lots of discussion these days about mounting that big flat screen to stone and the inadvisability of it...need to hit studs with the mounting bolts!
January 23, 2013 at 1:25PM     
lefty47
HI -- I would get rid of whats there instead of diddling with it and trying to make something else out of it . It's dated and common anyway. I would widen the fireplace front and stone or tile up to the ceiling and maybe have no mantel . Mount the TV on the wall on the right side with a console cabinet under. Much more simple and modern and less cluttered looking .
January 23, 2013 at 1:39PM     
bygeorgi
I agree with Ironwood builders... you can easily close up the dry wall but the addition of doors will take some good DIY skills or a carpenter... Im not suggesting you just get some wood and slap it on the drywall lol .. But I really agree with Lefty47 ..the whole thing is dated , dry wall shelving is not a good look... I'd demo that.. today!
January 23, 2013 at 1:50PM     
janiemd
Lose the fan, nice dark marble around the fireplace and hearth, next add soft lighting to book cases. Thin out the bookshelf lines,maybe a glass shelf, doors on the bottom of the cases, with nice hardware, TV area,hide those wires! Plus rustic shutters to fit the arch and hide the TV when not in use, might be nice too! Good luck!
January 23, 2013 at 5:53PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
The arch for the TV needs to have new framework built inside the niche and then secured to existing 2x4's or 4x4's behind the wall. Hoping that a stud is near center of niche. Add sheetrock to finish. TV will be secure if attached to a new stud of framework. Have a professional drywaller finish the area. Any carpenters out there? If I am wrong please inform.
January 23, 2013 at 6:54PM   
Jody Stafford
If it were mine, I would paint it a color darker than the floors, but not black, put doors over the arched area, or cut the arch out. Put shelving on the bottm sides w/ door and thin out upper shelves with glass, maybe a smoky grey colored glass. get rid of that mantel and put a beefier more modern looking one there. whatever color shelving you use, choose different shades of that color for the hearth and fireplace surround.
January 24, 2013 at 6:53AM   
kristamcgowen1
I agree with Eden Clark. Natural stone + white clean cabinetry = clean, modern, classic design. Keep large pieces neutral and to give a more modern feel, fill shelves with bright colors to pop. Switching out decor as trends fade is more cost efficient than having to do this project every couple years.
January 24, 2013 at 8:35AM   
PRO
Sean's Interior & Exterior LLC
I have done lots of projects like this. I frame the opening in with 2 X 4's or 2 X 2, wire all the electrical and HDMI hook ups, drywall and finish. It's easy and looks great. I think I posted a couple of that type of project on my page step by step. If not, I can because I have the pictures.
January 24, 2013 at 8:43AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you seem to be in good hands here, I would add doors to the lower areas and square the top area
January 24, 2013 at 9:29AM     
Rebecca Bandy
Remove all the shelves and cubbyholes around the fireplace...give the fireplace new marble and/or stone surround with a decorative mantle. Place TV above or off to the right on wall. If on the right of the fireplace...set large dresser below to hold all TV accessories...
January 24, 2013 at 10:10AM   
PRO
Linda Clayton Interiors
I would start off by painting the unit so that it does not look like a big old drywall unit. If you have the budget you could have an artist faux finish it to look like wood. I would then add a mantle of stone or wood. Paint the back of the unit a contrast color. I would drywall the arched area and mount the flat screen TV there.
January 24, 2013 at 10:21AM     
realist23
id build the tv into the wall and put a sliding door with new york city at night on the front of them id also make a pull out cooler so when the misses aint around i can have my ice cold beers
January 24, 2013 at 10:42AM   
caevans850
Need more accent pieces but this is how it came out.
February 27, 2013 at 6:59PM   
caevans850
Pic 2
February 27, 2013 at 7:00PM     
Darzy
Hey...that turned out great! Much more sleek and modern looking.
February 27, 2013 at 8:29PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Looks better! Nice room!
February 27, 2013 at 10:08PM